Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gods in Eternity

gods mythology

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
Agreed on having gods similar to the Greek ones.
But I disagree with the need for followers. However, having followers and having them do their bidding would be an advantage.
  • Malekith likes this

Cryticus

Cryticus

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 119 posts
The game is about souls something that can easily be connected to gods. Personnaly I was always in fantasy games more interested in religion as organization than center being of their belief.
If I would have to chose hover I woudl like to see maybe something in vein of one big oversoul (Brahman ,Manitou) but with rennesance catholic pomp . But as I say this is supposedly game about souls, so they may use one god like being, DnD style gods of everything, pantheon that is one but know under diffrent name and combination with diffrent cultures, or maybe oversoul thing.
Tl:Dr As long as they don't go lazy route of god of fire, god of water, god of earth I am happy

septembervirgin

septembervirgin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think it was implied that they're all relatively sapient, but I hope that's not true. I'd like some of the gods to be not. Just so that it can imply that there's this whole other ecosystem to the godly realm that interacts recklessly with the mortal one.

I understand what you're saying! That's something I can identify with! Mindless deities that devour people! Ia! Ia! I am being talked to with that statement. My views seem to be included!

choasrepeated

choasrepeated

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The lady of pain has come up a bit and I have to chip in on that.

On other notes I'd like to see lovecraftian gods, warhammer 40k gods, even fun entities love the american gods.
Tricksters and bullies. Creatures of madness and pain.

Just like you cant become a ceo without breaking a few laws, I doubt you could become a god in a fanastasy setting without being dark at the core.

NKKKK

NKKKK

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1012 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Quezatcoatl.

Jigawatts

Jigawatts

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
D&D style gods. One (or rather, three) of my favorite D&D supplements ever are the 2E Forgotten Realms deity books, Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. They were so jam packed full of juicy flavor and lore (not to mention fun priest kits).

septembervirgin

septembervirgin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The Inviolate Prayer : An mouse-sized deity that is entirely mouths each bearing rows of razor sharp teeth. It whispers to all its worshipers constantly and so its priests are all deaf.

Joy of the Fire: A cloud of ashes that seem to contain skeletal bats lofted on intangible winds, knocking against eachother with a clattering rhythm. A sole crouched figure seems to slide about in the midst of this cloud, lit luminous and visible as if with an internal flame. This being keens softly, answering inquiries and pleas by fluttering its fingertips against the ground with the sound of silver drumming on glass, swift chimes ringing sharply. This being is worshiped by some rangers who despise the wilds but live there to master it.

Mary of the Foremast: A sea green robed woman, blindfolded with limbs and body aneath the robe wrapped in blue and white burial ribbons. She floats about the foremast of ships at sea. The third woman ever born, she perished in the ocean, arising from the caverns below as she tried to escape the raging waters she assisted her children in releasing. She is boneless and writhes about like an octopus aneath her robes, the ribbons never releasing her. She is worshiped by those who dream of her and become bound to a life at sea because of their dreams of her. She is said by some to be faceless and only a gelatinous substance in the shape of a woman, and their are proofs in ancient scriptures that these sayings are truth (but some do say she is whole and has a face and is actually self-same to a goddess of beauty and love).

String: A line that grows in unhallowed graveyards, slowly etching through wooden coffins, marble mauseleum, ceramic jars. This string binds cadavers together and dissolves their remains, leaving only dolls of string connected by its binding length. Should any cut the string, it reforms, stretching hundreds of miles aneath the soil to reunite to itself. It cannot be burnt nor destroyed but powerfully enchanted blades can cut it. It seems to seek no vengeance for any harm that comes to it, because it cannot be destroyed and moves as if through dreams, taking as much time as it desires, going deep underground and at times sprouting up like a watchtower for unknown reasons. It answers prayers and respects the dead that have been blessed by any faith. It does not disturb the undead nor the corpses of ghosts.

Edited by septembervirgin, 03 October 2012 - 10:17 PM.

• Rostere, aluminiumtrioxid and Gauldar like this

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3401 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Kickstarter Backer
For me it depends on what role gods will play in the setting and how the writting around them is handled. Also how much the story involves them.
A pantheon of capricious, selfish 16 year old rich kids could be very interesting if one or two gods were inserted who in fact aren't just that. While everyone is partying on mount Olympus, no one knows that Apollo's next ride in the sun chariot will be his last, because his sweet sister Artemis has sabotaged it, cusing the sun and the god to fall into the ocean. The seas boil and the sun is extinguished, the god's remains lying on what once was the ocean floor but is now a dry waste. As eternal night falls, everyone blames Nyx, while a psychotic deranged Artemis hunts poor souls under a killing moon...
Ok, I got carried away there.

Gods are often just a dull afterthought it seems. Religion needs to be taken serious if it is to be worth the mention in the story. Though that may cause it to become too important. I dont want dull copies of ancient pantheons, but I am also slightly bored of theocracies, holy wars and witch hunts.
  • Rostere and mokona like this

Yaskaleh

Yaskaleh

Eternal Watcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd like something based upon the pantheons of the norse, greek, slavic and celtic. Mix in a bit of monotheistic faiths and you'll have a good mix.

Kronos

Kronos

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Deithebile - Eldest world tree with acquired sentience, acquired diety status over millenia as fauna waxed and waned over the course of time.

Diethebile is a peculiar diety in a sense that it is bound by its gargantuan fixed physical self and has a purpose that is barely know. What is know is that the area surrounding the mighty tree is densely vegetated and contains the treetop citadel of Bile Crannog.

Diethebile has on occasion communicated with certain druids and rangers - the first know occurence of this was during 'the awakening'; which is the first recorded instance of sentience. During this time Bile Crannog was founded, and the various principals on which the town still bases itself were established. Some scholars speculate that the young god required a symbiotic relationship with the sentient races in order to ensure its security as it is on one hand one of the most vulnerable of dieties as it can simply be razed to the ground but on the other hand can potentially be one of the most powerful in that it has an incredibile loyalty from the denizens of Bile Crannog due to actually providing for them a bountiful livelihood. Some of the more sceptical scholars believe that it is Diethebile's intention to gradually spread its presence over the entire known world; although most aren't concerned about this prospect as it will surely take many more mellenia until such an outcome could occur.

Bile Crannog is a peculiar place where the doctrine is to 'live off & with the land'. People don't interfere with the vegetation; however with the intervention of Deithebile, the surrounding lands tend to 'accomodate' the increase diversity and size of the population of Bile Crannog by revealing new treetop and ground clearings to construct various buildings and by revealing new and larger pathways in the surrounding forests to accomodate increased logistics needs. Contrary to the usual trend of increased deforestation that follows in the path of a growing city, the forested lands tend to expand in size to support the increased needs of the town as in turn the influence of Deithebile slowly increases.

The town consists only of those that live in tune with nature and also has a strong economy that exports the famed and scarce sap that comes from Deithebile - the sap is famed for it's healing properties which is a very rare commodity in the world and fetches astronomical prices. It is anticipated that Bile Crannog will eventually swell to this size of a city. One of the stranger customs of the land is to 'bury' the recently deceased of the city by dropping them into a mighty tree hollow that exists in Diethebile, it is veiwed that by doing this the spirit of the deceased has more likelyhood of making there way back to Diethebelle in the next life, some wonder as to what the real implications of this tradition might actually be.

Please like this idea, it came to me and I think it could be really cool and a concept around this could be interesting in terms of potential future conflicts as well as just a really neat environment.
  • Gyor and locomotron like this

Darth InSidious

Darth InSidious

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • Location:The Beast stands for strong mutually antagonistic governments everywhere. . . . Self-sufficiency at home, self-assertion abroad.
I'm hoping for a kind of Egyptian/Mesoamerican/Mesopotamian mashup, with a good dose of Sumerian pessimism and a heavy gnostic flavour. I want gloomy, mysterious cult, full of strange sacred books that hover on the edge of comprehension, and dark, disturbing, hidden rituals.

Edited by Darth InSidious, 28 November 2012 - 07:00 PM.

• .Leif. and Malekith like this

Cryticus

Cryticus

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 119 posts
I don't know to what extent will gods take part in the plot, but I would love to see Mesoamerican style deities and myths but with a twist of having western styled church, you know how when missionaries came to new world, and thouse who converted interpreted saints and divine figures in their terms? Now what I mean is that use this but invert situation and let it be that western world takes on their faith
  • Durinax likes this

Serguei

Serguei

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
Cosmology : first draft

All souls find their origin in a Greater Being. In a cosmological event, that Being got "fractured" and lost parts , tiny dust-size , sparkles of itself, that becames souls. All those fragments try to rejoin with the original part.
But they cannot.
Because the gods wish to gather as much souls as they can in order to harness the power inherent to souls.
Most racial gods (affiliated to a particular race) made a pact : they would gather the souls from a race. But some other gods, more chaotic and greedy, chose to size with no one, and hunt souls whereever they can.

so we have no good gods, only power-hungry.
Some of them behave in a lawfull way and seemingly with benevolence toward a specific race.
There's room to invent a creation mythos, several gods, and lesser gods working for them in hope to gain a part of the power greater gods could have.
The Afterlife is a maze designed to lose the souls and hide the way back to the Progenitor. But the Greater Being, though Reality is veiled from Him by the gods, is not powerless. He created the reincarnation cycle as a safety exit from the Maze, in order to give souls another chance to rejoin with him, should they fail upon the attempt they're given at death.

Edited by Serguei, 29 November 2012 - 06:11 AM.

Cryticus

Cryticus

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Cosmology : first draft

All souls find their origin in a Greater Being. In a cosmological event, that Being got "fractured" and lost parts , tiny dust-size , sparkles of itself, that becames souls. All those fragments try to rejoin with the original part.
But they cannot.
Because the gods wish to gather as much souls as they can in order to harness the power inherent to souls.
Most racial gods (affiliated to a particular race) made a pact : they would gather the souls from a race. But some other gods, more chaotic and greedy, chose to size with no one, and hunt souls whereever they can.

so we have no good gods, only power-hungry.
Some of them behave in a lawfull way and seemingly with benevolence toward a specific race.
There's room to invent a creation mythos, several gods, and lesser gods working for them in hope to gain a part of the power greater gods could have.
The Afterlife is a maze designed to lose the souls and hide the way back to the Progenitor. But the Greater Being, though Reality is veiled from Him by the gods, is not powerless. He created the reincarnation cycle as a safety exit from the Maze, in order to give souls another chance to rejoin with him, should they fail upon the attempt they're given at death.

Idea is okey, but I really can't stand idea that there are no good gods, Mostly because I hate idea that there are beings that are all inhearently evil, what I would prefer is that gods may start as evil but with time passing they learn that evil and hunger for power is pointless and stop with intervining with world and ultimatly join greater source. This can be taken one step more , with gods being just souls that would try to reach source by colecting and joinig with souls of thouse people that have smaller will.

Serguei

Serguei

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
More on that :

So there are two kinds of gods :" those of the Pact" and "those who hunt."
The Progenitor and the gods where utterly opposed at first. Until they realized that souls could be strengthened by the events in Life. so the Progenitor and the racial gods agreed on the cosmic wheel of reincarnation in order to augment themselves.
The "gods of the pact" do not consume a soul when they gain one, they depleat it from its power and throw it back in the reincarnation cycle.
On the opposite, "those who hunts" simply devours them, hoping to reach such a size that they could at last devour the Progenitor itself.

of the God of death : Most sentient living being believe that death is univocal, the end of life, plain and simple. and so they believe that there is only one god of death, even though it seems to have a split personnality. They are in fact two separate entities : the Arbiter and the Rejuvener. The first is an agent of the gods of the Pact , whose task is to ensure that the lawfull gods have their due share of souls, while the second is an agent of the Progenitor and makes sure that all souls may have an attempt at reincarnation. So they are really opposed in their goals.

Edited by Serguei, 29 November 2012 - 07:25 AM.

Domigorgon

Domigorgon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't think religion should be limited to god-worship, even if gods do exist, i.e. have a tangible presence and show of power. Think of the Athars (hardcore atheists from Planescape), or any other Planescape faction for that matter. They do not believe in gods, but in certain ideas and ideals, and can get quite *religious* about them.

I don't know if anyone here played Discworld Noir, a British game based on Terry Pratchett's books (and inspired quite a lot by film noir), but in that setting there is a hilarious character working at a Temple of Small Gods (a temple dedicated to gods of things like ants' crossroads, or somesuch trifle matters not particularly popular in the greater scheme - imagine worshipping a God of Cutlery and rattling your spoon drawer in his honor, or sacrificing pigeons because your church can't afford a bull...). The character is a worshipper of Errata (a play on the Discordian Eris - just google up "Principia Discordia" and you'll get the picture), the goddess of confusion. In his words, "Everyone is a worshipper of Errata... they just don't know it yet!" The point being that nobody actually bothers to worship Errata, for it is a completely disorganised religion. Like Discordianism, its tenets are whatever you want them to be. Errata could care less, and her 'worshippers' are pretty much left to themselves.

It would be fun to solve some encounters through theological arguments with NPCs. NWN 2 let you choose a deity, but it didn't affect the gameplay much. Whenever I play a cleric or paladin, I sure would appreciate an opportunity to try and convert people to my cause. :)

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Or that point where a single god is worshipped under different names by different cultures.. and each one has slightly variant beliefs and touches the aspects of the god in different manners. Causing the single god to actually split into almost "multiple personalities" depending on who is around....

Zoma

Zoma

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1360 posts
Not exactly God related, but more of unexplainable force of nature that involves the Gods.

I'm always fascinated with Kinoko Nasu's concepts and rules of the worlds he created for his novels and games. One of this concept revolves around "Counter-Force".

The counter force is a safety system created by a group unconscious will. A phenomena exists to erase other phenomena... The counter force appears the moment that a factor that may cause the destruction of the world and will move to destroy that factor. As they (The counter force) are unconscious forces, even when they does appear, nobody will see them, nobody will notice them.

A counter force is a whirl of formless power that will appear and adjust their magnitude in accordance to the target to be destroyed. To allow for absolute victory, it will appear with greater force than the target. In the situation where the threat is unable to be handled through human hands, the Counter Force will take the form of a natural phenomenon and wipe out the designated target and its surroundings...

If the world dies, then so does humanity. If humanity dies, it'll likely be something that'll affect the fate of the world. The results may converge but there's a difference in the factors that work.

To put it simply, this concept revolves around preserving the state of the world through the world's own unconscious will if the world is endangered, either by the hands of foolish mortals or reckless Gods who threatened to destroy it. So the world will, in a subtle approach, create unexplainable incidents, or forced coincidences, that will result in people becoming heroes or even villains just to remove the threat specifically no matter what the cost.

Now, we understand that the world of project eternity may have natural laws that even the gods will never understand. Such as the origin of souls and why they exist in a flow of reincarnation cycle. But if there are any factors threatening to disrupt the natural flow such as permanently disrupting the flow of human souls into the world, which the destiny of the world is interlinked to it, the "Counter Force" will go into effect to prevent it from happening.

With this concept, we could explain from the player's point of view why our character plays a big role in the world, either as a hero of villain, to remove the threat by all means. If he is given a means to kill a God because a God threatens to upset the balance of the world, he will be given one.

Its similar to Chrono Trigger where
Spoiler

Just a concept I thought the developers might want to know about. Sorry for the off track.

ngreennz

ngreennz

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'd like to see how gods relate to the soul thing. If you worship a god, does he get custody of your soul when you die? Does that influence how you worship in the next life? Or is it more like egyptian mythology in which one or two gods preside over all dead souls and the process of dying? Is there a psychopomp god, or lots of little psychopomps that one god presides over? How do souls get back into the world? Do psychopomps handle that too? Maybe there's a warrior goddess standing guard over conception/ensoulment to avoid a demon getting in instead, or something.

I'd also prefer if they avoided/put a twist on some of the classic archetypes. What if the trickster god was also the goddess of love, for example? Maybe the Boss God is a Poseidon-type ocean god instead of a Zeus-style sky god. I'd also prefer if they'd avoid the Worshippers = Power thing. If you're not going to do anything interesting with it, a la Terry Pratchett's Small Gods, or Hogfather, then I think it's sort of a cop-out for explaining why gods care about people.

Also, churches. We could do with some mixing-up of churches. Mystery cults in forest glades, creepy fanatical isolationists in mountain strongholds, deranged charismatic prophets of down-and-out gods staging a comeback, expansionist state religions, I'd prefer to see any/all of these then just more martial clerics with chainmail and warhammers.
There's also potential for reincarnation-oriented holy men, like tulkus or the Dalai Lama. This can be hubristic or not, I suppose, depending on whether or not he's actually a prophet, though dying, spending time with the gods, and coming back sounds like a pretty good way to get divine revelation into the world.

PsychoBlonde

PsychoBlonde

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

How is this different from what you have in D&D?

The gods in the various D&D settings are generally unified into a cosmological system--they are a part of it, but have no ultimate control over it. Greek-style gods are somewhat more independent and thus much more erratic and interesting. The difference is subtle but discernable.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gods, mythology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users