Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gods in Eternity

gods mythology

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

molarBear

molarBear

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts

The Lady of Pain is a great example of a God done right. I would like to see gods that people are genuinely afraid of because they take an active interest in and interfere with the affairs of men.

she was a ruthless weird bitch :)
yes, we want deities towards this direction

Edited by molarBear, 21 September 2012 - 06:32 PM.

• Darth InSidious likes this

Anaeme

Anaeme

Eminence of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
gods need to be what mortals aspire to become

I want to become a deity

Tenamor

Tenamor

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Regardless of what kinds of gods we have, I think it'd be neat to have your character worship/follow the teachings of a certain god, and be rewarded/punished based on that decision. Certain gear is acquired by following X, but now Y doesn't like you. Clerics of Z get these spells, but now you have a unsettling aura about you, and people aren't too keen on speaking with you.

Or even be agnostic/not follow any specific one, so you get no advantages and no disadvantages as far as religion is concerned.

rf5111918

rf5111918

Time Lord of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I like the FR approach to gods. Also, I think gods should be mysterious and even if the greater part of the population believes in them I would like there to be some room for exploration - that it's not just possible to see a list of deities in the world in, say, character creation and then that's it, you know it all. There should be lesser deities, dead deities, "lost" or "sleeping" deities, deities only known in certain geographical regions, and so on.

I prefer some mystery. I am not even sure if deities should even need to make a physical appearance in the game. I feel that's actually been overdone.
I guess I like the idea that magic and deities aren't or can't be fully comprehended in the world.

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
(was going to start a new thread on interaction with the gods, but I think this one is adequate)

I'd like to see gods interacting with the world, and more importantly allow for interaction with the player.

In ToEE a very memorable encounter was the one with Lareth.
When he's almost dead he tries to dissuade you, (I don't recall the details), but he then curses you and says "Lloth, help me", and 3 giant spiders are summoned.

I'd like for both NPCs and the PC to be able to worship and submit to a god, give offerings and perform tasks for him, and in return he would help you out when you asked for help. Note that there is lot of room here to balance and adapt this to the god's personality (he may as well ignore or betray you).
For example, suppose that you make a pact with a god which allows you to summon 2 of his "pets", but in return he will eat out part of your soul (ie: you lose a point on one of your attributes).
The gamers of the new school will probably say "that is stupid, I'll just reload". But for me, and I bet for the ones playing as ironman, this can be a real life saver.

Also, it would be fun to betray a god in some way or the other :)

PsychoBlonde

PsychoBlonde

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
It sounds kind of like we're going to have Greek-style gods in the sense of meddling, quarrelsome, vindictive, not-necessarily-benevolent super-powerful entities. This sounds fine to me, but this sort of situation DOES prevent you from having actual RELIGION in the game. Oh, sure, people obey the gods, worship the gods, follow the gods, hide from the gods, curse the gods, occasionally Overthrow the Gods . . . but they don't really BELIEVE in the gods. It would be like BELIEVING in sauerkraut. So you wind up with a deity-infested but also incredibly secular world where people are matter-of-fact about all kinds of weird magical happenings

I don't have a problem with this--I like it when people are matter-of-fact. It might even be an interesting reversal if your average clergyman is a completely non-mystical hard-headed practical dude, while your crazy mystics are atheists.
  • aluminiumtrioxid, HansKrSG and mokona like this

metiman

metiman

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 492 posts
Are you implying that if, for instance, the Christian god, I am that I am or whatever, would actually appear for real in a public place and start announcing commandments that people would become less religious? Surely not. Believing in a proven God who has actually shown himself is still believing in him.
  • Malekith likes this

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

It sounds kind of like we're going to have Greek-style gods in the sense of meddling, quarrelsome, vindictive, not-necessarily-benevolent super-powerful entities. This sounds fine to me, but this sort of situation DOES prevent you from having actual RELIGION in the game. Oh, sure, people obey the gods, worship the gods, follow the gods, hide from the gods, curse the gods, occasionally Overthrow the Gods . . . but they don't really BELIEVE in the gods. It would be like BELIEVING in sauerkraut. So you wind up with a deity-infested but also incredibly secular world where people are matter-of-fact about all kinds of weird magical happenings

I don't have a problem with this--I like it when people are matter-of-fact. It might even be an interesting reversal if your average clergyman is a completely non-mystical hard-headed practical dude, while your crazy mystics are atheists.

How is this different from what you have in D&D?

PLEASE let's not derail this into a religious discussion and get the topic locked.

Edited by hideo kuze, 24 September 2012 - 03:51 PM.

twincast

twincast

Blue Automaton of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I've been meaning to make a thread about this for days.

I'm game for pretty much every number, size(s) and kind(s) of pantheon(s), from simply nonexistent to actively interacting.

The only thing I demand is that they are properly thought through.

Pantheons are families. Too often creators of fantasy worlds forget that or (even worse) only pay lip-service to it with some fragmented relation(ship)s sprinkled throughout.

And most importantly make the names of all* members of each pantheon believable to be of the same language (not saying culture as there's been quite a lot of borrowing of a couple of deities going on between neighboring (or even not so neighboring) peoples without full-blown conversion even when they shared few to no common backstory). There's some considerable leeway (based on theoretical different declensions and possible basis in another language for any given god), but when creators have no solid grasp of the matter, names often drift into the ridiculous, so please no X-means-evil names in pantheons that otherwise don't use X's (of whatever pronunciation) for example. Also, using real world names isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, but don't just throw a Baldr or Apollon or two (let alone both) into your pantheon of Moradins and Lolths. Stick to one or the other per pantheon.

*Well, some Roman deities amaze with their main names being decidedly Greek (with slightly changed endings), but that's fairly unique and honestly not too jarring in most cases since the two languages look even closer related to each other than they actually are. IMHO only (much changed, but originally Persian) Mithras really sticks out, but then again, they always thought of him as foreign themselves.

Gurkog

Gurkog

Tactical Response Unit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 242 posts
The god of storms and fire should be.... Tim.
  • aluminiumtrioxid likes this

Tychoxi

Tychoxi

Sciscitator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I want gods that'll tear my soul apart.

limaxophobiacq

limaxophobiacq

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 601 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
What I'd really want is Animism were pretty much everything has a god, from forest streams to mountains and oceans to the sun moon & stars, but given that we'll probably see something more DnD-ish, I don't really have a preference as long as they're interesting.

I don't want them to be both active in the mortal world and insurmountably powerfull at the same time though because that tends to make the actions of humanity including the characters you play as kind of irrelevant.

Fire13ringer

Fire13ringer

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts

Are you implying that if, for instance, the Christian god, I am that I am or whatever, would actually appear for real in a public place and start announcing commandments that people would become less religious? Surely not. Believing in a proven God who has actually shown himself is still believing in him.

"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It's where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett.

If the game is about souls, then I'd like it to have one or several deities presiding over the afterlife/astral realm, with, for instance, eaters of souls being lawful evils, reapers for chaotic neutrals, a king of souls as the lawful good, etc.

limaxophobiacq

limaxophobiacq

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 601 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Actually, what I really I want is for them to make something new and cool that I didn't think of.

Edited by limaxophobiacq, 24 September 2012 - 06:58 PM.

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1498 posts

Also, it would be fun to betray a god in some way or the other :)

And outwit one would be... priceless ^.^
  • Malekith likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5058 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think the developers should decide the nature of the gods and their pantheon, based on the cultural setting they develop.

Edited by rjshae, 25 September 2012 - 11:07 AM.

• Malekith likes this

OldRPG'sAreGood

OldRPG'sAreGood

Svef Addict of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't really have any preferance when it comes to god(s), and the only idea I can think off the top of my head, is that there'd roughly be a god per race + some with no defineable race. I'm sure Obsidian can pull off something good regarding gods.

Starglider

Starglider

Master of Golems of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Watcher
  • Kickstarter Backer
Awesome, unfathomable and to a large extent alien, yet still flawed, emotional and even petty.

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
There are some good idea's on this thread, I would like the Gods to be similar to Greek Gods but they are only as powerful as long as they have followers, this doesn't mean they would be defenseless but just reduced in power if no one worships them. Also at a later stage as the series progresses it would be nice to have a showdown with a Fallen God or some cult attempting to resurrect there diety.

Edited by BruceVC, 25 September 2012 - 12:27 PM.

The Sharmat

The Sharmat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 847 posts

I don't really have any preferance when it comes to god(s), and the only idea I can think off the top of my head, is that there'd roughly be a god per race + some with no defineable race. I'm sure Obsidian can pull off something good regarding gods.

Also shared Gods and alternate, conflicting stories of the same Gods. And cultures regarding some foreign Gods as just being alternate names for their own deities.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gods, mythology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users