So I've been playing some of the old Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.) and I've noticed that my party has this terrible habit of being completely wiped out by goblins before I even have a chance to respond to whatever they're doing. I've found Planescape: Torment to be much more forgiving in this regard--I actually managed to complete the starting area. :)

Anyways, so given my recent failure to make any progress in these games, how sadistic soul-crushingly difficult do you think PE will be?

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770

I'm a relatively recent convert to Obsidian games, so I don't really have any prior knowledge as to how their difficulty is normally. New Vegas started out easy, got ridiculously hard at around level 10 or so if you ticked off the NCR or Legion early, and then the difficulty gradually died off until you were ridiculously overpowered.

As for how I myself like difficulty in games? Challenge is sort've like spicy food; it's good, but you don't want it in really high doses. Because a lot of games are big into the hand-holding these days, yeah, I often do up the ante a bit, but the only game where I consistently play on the highest difficulty possible is Rock Band, and even then, I don't download stuff like the death metal tracks on RBN which are specifically designed to make your wrists and fingers weep. In contrast, on an Atlus game like Catherine/Megaten/Demon Souls, I normally leave difficulty where it is or lower it a bit.

So I've been playing some of the old Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.) and I've noticed that my party has this terrible habit of being completely wiped out by goblins before I even have a chance to respond to whatever they're doing. I've found Planescape: Torment to be much more forgiving in this regard--I actually managed to complete the starting area. :)

Anyways, so given my recent failure to make any progress in these games, how sadistic soul-crushingly difficult do you think PE will be?

Probably on the same level as those games. I don't think it should be easier.

If you're having trouble with those games, I don't know what to tell you, maybe these games aren't for you. You can probably read a guide or faq on them and see if you can learn how to do better. Pause and issue commands before combat starts.

Edited by Grimlorn

I just want a game where I don't have to go "Oh, five minutes in and my party members have all died. WHAT DO YOU MEAN I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO REVIVE THEM?! *HOW* MUCH ARE THEY CHARGING TO RESURRECT THEM?! I have to fight HOW MANY bandits to get that much gold?! Game, my whole party is wiped out!" T_T *restarts, again*

I'll grant you that Baldur's Gate 1 is very difficult in the beginning. I've never made it very far past the starting areas. But Icewind Dale? The beginning isn't all that difficult. Maybe you don't have enough melee characters. Try rolling a new party. IWD is actually quite fun for a while. The start of BG2 is much easier than BG1 and I like it much better overall as well. The start of BG2 ToB is extremely difficult. There's a point where you fight like a whole army of giants. I must have been killed dozens of times before I finally managed to prevail using mordenkainen sword cheese IIRC. Of all those games BG2 has the best combat IMHO. Especially with the SCSII mod. PS:T is definitely the best game of the lot though. Arguably the best computer game of any genre ever made.

You're not playing in real time are you? Go into options and set the auto pause for the end of every round. That's the way IE combat was made to be played.

Edited by metiman

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

For starters, I'm assuming Obsidian's going to have various levels of difficulty for one to choose from?

If that's a correct assumption, then I'd guess anything other than the easiest level will be somewhat of a challenge if you're not prepared, even against goblins. I'm fine with that, so long as there's one level where horrible players like me can switch it down to in order to not get creamed every fight. :biggrin:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you're having that much trouble, lower the difficulty level. That's why it's there, so you don't get stressed out just trying to keep your characters alive. And generally if a party member dies, reload (and save often). That way you won't have to waste time and gold trying to raise them. Also perhaps since goblins seems to mean IWD, consider the classes you have in your party and their stats. It's usually a good idea to have a tank that goes first (like in any modern game), it can also be a good idea to have ranged weapons on everyone if you can manage it. And as mentioned, pause often (there should be a part of the menu where you can set when the game automatically pauses so you don't have to kill your spacebar key), tell people what to do, unpause to let them do it, then pause again to give them new things to do. I seem to recall Torment being less combat-focused (depending on how you play) so perhaps that's why you're having a bit of difficulty too.

I'm hoping that PE will be around the same difficulty level as the IE games, challenging but fun.

• Like 1

BG can be very challenging the first time you play. One of the keys to to roll good enough stats to start with a decent build. There is a walkthrough available I think on GameFaqs by Dan Simpson which would be extremely helpful for you to understand the rules and great advise on starting builds and playthrough strategy. You don't need to use the walkthru if you don't want, but he has invaluable advise on character builds, etc.

You really will enjoy it once you get a better understanding. With great risk comes great reward is all I can say. I have very fond memories of BG and BG2.

Oh, and to answer your question, I hope it's at least as soul crushing as BG and BG2 were - wouldn't have it any other way.

Edited by SqueakyCat

I always prefer a game that makes me think before entering a room (as an example). In my mind you should be discouraged from just busting in, diving head first and hacking away. Strategic thinking is import, planning prior and on your toes. If I can casually enter an area and take out everything, not worrying about input or tactics there's something wrong. I want the game to force the mind's thinking away from the straight forward. Tactics. Scouting. Observation. Flanking. Exploitation of observed weaknesses. Further planning and observation on the fly for what could not be gleaned from an innactive foe in regard to their abilities that they might only unleash when pushed into combat and certain situations. Traps. Ambushes.

If I can get through the wall by bashing my head against it repeatedly, I'm disappointed, I should have been forced to use the bread inside my head, and not just render it null and squishy it through the monotony of repeitious tasks.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

I remember the first time I played IWD II. It was horrible as I couldn't keep anyone alive. Then I found out I had the difficult slider set all the way to 100% difficulty. Later I played Morrowind and was fine, got killed by a mudcrab. :no: Then came Oblivion and I went into shock at how easy it was on normal difficulty. Up went the slider.

Since this game is a spiritual successor to the IE games I will be very disappointed if it isn't difficult. Tanks in the front, ranged, then magic users. Pause. Tell you characters what to d. Try running away and luring enemies to your party I did that a lot in IWD II. Ah, nostalgia. Don't forget to save often. :devil:

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Later I played Morrowind and was fine, got killed by a mudcrab. :no:

I stopped playing Morrowind for a year because a stupid guy on a bridge kept killing me (on the way to one of the early dungeons). I ran, leveled up to like, level 20, and THEN I gave him what for. Morrowind was very fun, except the choppy combat drove me crazy!