Project Eternity: Wiki

Heh, I have just fixed that. It looked pretty bad :D The colours should mesh up better now (although the redlink is hard to spot, but then there shouldn't really be any of those in those navbars anyway..)

Added a logo to the mainpage too, but in due time I'd like to redesign that page. Think it would become a cluttered mess when more stuff gets added about Pillars II. Can't have hundreds of links there. Working on some other things, but I'm thinking about something like the system they have on the Witcher wiki. Think it could be a good fit.

Sometimes I wish real life was like in Pillars of Eternity, where a good night's rest will fix everything. Broke my foot roughly a month ago, and a night's rest was sadly not enough.

(Since I took that picture, some text has been changed to white)

post-165682-0-50991800-1507596410_thumb.png

Edited by PangaeaACDC
  • Like 1

About the logo - nice addition, but it's quite big, thus there's a lot of unneecesary scrolling.

I suspected it might have been on the big side, so I have scaled it down a bit. Have made the background a little darker as well.

Do you guys think the background image fits?

The thinking was that it sort of connects both games, with what little we know so far about the opening of POE2.

Some portraits on class-pages are wider, stretched.

Interesting, thanks for pointing out that error. Turns out the code doesn't do what I thought it would with big pictures like this, namely keep aspect ratio. The easiest solution, at least for the time being, is to remove the max-height limit.

Not sure we should keep those pictures there for classes anyway, as it gives more of an impression of a NPC page. Maybe better to stick some examples of druids etc in a gallery or something.

Not sure we should keep those pictures there for classes anyway, as it gives more of an impression of a NPC page. Maybe better to stick some examples of druids etc in a gallery or something.

You're probably right...

But I do like 'em :)

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

• 2 weeks later...

In between working on the backbones and editing pages, I've started to look into re-designing the frontpage, not least because soon there will be another game in the series. Currently it looks messy because I'm trying out different things, but feel free to check it out and offer comments and suggestions. You can make comments in the various discussion pages as well. Don't be shy :)

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Official_Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki/editcopy

Currently I'm leaning towards the layout in the tab for Pillars of Eternity, as opposed to Pillars of Eternity 2, where the idea was to have links to the different classes, and races and such, kind of like currently. Looks like a traincrash now, but it will probably be too long vertically anyway, so think it's best with an easy overview with the main pages, and then people can go from there.

Beneath the tabs, we can have more general information, maybe a world map, some lore, who knows.

If you have some good ideas, by all means bring them forward :) The wiki is a community effort, and the games (plural soon...) deserve a more up-to-date wiki than what currently is the case.

Don't love the giant logo at the top. It takes space away from the actual content and there is already a logo on the left. Don't want to have scroll to find the info i am looking for. There also seems to be dead space on the right that could be utilized. The layouts for the content like gameplay, races, etc look clean, i know that layout was pretty much there already. Gameplay also has to much dead space probably in this new style layout. I would put all those items under each gameplay heading on one row like classes and races. Yes POE1 tab looks better for sure between the tabs. I assume you are going to add icons to the bubbles or hope users add icons otherwise i would scrape that and go straight to the good stuff but i get it if you find some good icons so users eyes can differentiate the info. 

I had not been to the front page in a little while and i really dislike the logo at the top in the current version and in the link above. We already know we are at the pillars of eternity wiki we dont need to be slapped in the face with it. :)

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Don't love the giant logo at the top. It takes space away from the actual content and there is already a logo on the left. Don't want to have scroll to find the info i am looking for.

Good thing you weren't on the front page some time ago, it used to be 2x bigger.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60459-project-eternity-wiki/?p=1943318

But I agree. There already is a logo in the upper-left corner, that should suffice.

Thanks for the comments. Firstly, I just want to reiterate that the page I linked to is a "testing area", and very much a "Work in Progress". The questionmarks should be proper icons, white space removed, maybe some links removed and others added. I just added a bunch off the top of my head while working on the design itself. The code can be very "snow-flakey".

The logo can be removed or reduced if that is the desire. I've been recommended to put something more visual there to easier identify the wiki, as lots of users won't be hard-core fans of the game. But like I said, it's a work in progress, and I'm sure lots will change between now and whatever design we end up with.

Secondly, there is still a lot to do with the POE1 part of the wiki, and once we know more about Deadfire, there will of course be plenty to do with that on the wiki. I've put in a lot of hours over the last 2-3 months, but also have a full-time job, so time is naturally a bit limited. Hopefully more people join the effort, especially when we know more about POE2.

It wasn't twice as large btw ;) I reduced the size by 100 pixels, think it's 400 now.

Its good you are working on the wiki. I added some stuff a while back to the spells to make them more table looking because i couldnt stand having to click on each individual spell to find the info and i didnt even finish all those. So i get its a lot of tedious work to get the info down.

Edited by draego

It can certainly be mundane and monotonous to insert lots of data, which is actually one of the reasons I started working more on the layout again. The good news with the "behind-the-scenes" stuff I've been doing is that, once that is done, much of the data can be generated automatically for overview pages like all spells and such. That way we only have to insert the data on the page of the item/character/quest/whatever. At least that's what I'm trying to achieve. Not as straightforward with some types of data, but it should at least be better than having to "hard-code" everything everywhere, often meaning the same info in 4-5 pages. Then a patch comes out and changes stuff, and soon enough hundreds of pages are outdated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps this is a fitting place to ask? I'm working on the ability pages. Many seem to be outdated or poorly maintained, so I need to go through all 400+ and fix them (!!). In that task, it would greatly help if it was possible to get the relevant information about abilities and their effects from the game files. I've tried to look around with Unity Studio, but without much luck. Do anybody know if it's possible to access the information somewhere, in a reasonably easy-to-understand fashion?

Maybe such access would help me to structure it better on the wiki too. Kind of hard to get it to look sensible, while splitting up the data, which I assume is a challenge for the game UI guys too for complex stuff like this :)

As for the frontpage, I've reduced the logo for now, and in the WIP page (linked to earlier) have put it somewhere else. That page is very much a work-in-progress, but there will be changes at least.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Inspired by Pangea's example, I decided to focus on the wiki and bring it up to spec. I'm currently making my way through the game, filling in lore, locations, maps, everything, really. My ambitious goal is to get the PoE1 section in shape by the time Deadfire drops, which might take a bit of effort, but is quite doable. Hell, I managed to do a lot of heavy lifting on the Tyranny wiki:

https://tyranny.gamepedia.com/Tyranny_Wiki

(which, admittedly, was a game I went a little weird about for a while; a long, long while)

On a side-note, reviewing the source material makes me appreciate the forethought put into the setting and the fact that Deadfire fights right in. <3 Obsidian

• Like 2

If somebody can help me out with https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95081-valuesids-from-game-files/, I'd greatly appreciate it :)

Looked around for hours yesterday with ILspy, and found some lists, but of course not the one I was looking for, that defines the values for "AffectsStat". This is used just about everywhere for items, and figuring it out manually is slow and imprecise. If somebody could help me with this, it would make my work faster and more accurate.

As an aside, I wonder about what to do with data that is slightly imprecise from display in the game vs code. For instance, the game probably uses one decimal, so the crit damage multiplier for arquebuses show as -0.3. The code, however, says the factor is -0.25. Should I show what the game does, or change it to 0.25 from the code?

Maybe the latter would be a little confusing for players, so not quite sure what the best approach is.

Also many thanks to Tagaziel who is doing a marvellous job updating content for quests, NPCs, locations and just about the whole darn lot :D

• 1 month later...

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Official_Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki/New_Main_Page

New frontpage design is up. Feedback would be welcome (before I start moving articles around, which is going to cost me a soul and a half).

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Official_Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki/New_Main_Page

New frontpage design is up. Feedback would be welcome (before I start moving articles around, which is going to cost me a soul and a half).

Is <3 enough for feedback?

vmgB0um.png

This segment lacks Serafen, Tekehu and Maia Rua (pages for these guys DO exist).

• Like 1

Great! I highly appreciate your work.  :thumbsup:

P.S.: You could also add a subsection for the Sidekicks (because they are not "real" companions). Their names and pictures are already floating around in the wiki somewhere.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Is <3 enough for feedback?

Yes <3

vmgB0um.png

This segment lacks Serafen, Tekehu and Maia Rua (pages for these guys DO exist).

Dang it, I knew I missed something (I've been working on this for days now, so things do slip; I'll add it shortly). It's a good thing that I discovered how to do batch files too and where to place them... Wish I knew that when working on the Tyranny Wiki. :p

Great! I highly appreciate your work.  :thumbsup:

P.S.: You could also add a subsection for the Sidekicks (because they are not "real" companions). Their names and pictures are already floating around in the wiki somewhere.

Duly noted!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, guys!

Showing up the first time, I think, on this topic (and haven't posted much, elsewhere) – forgive me! ;)

I'd like to have your input on two things concerning the wiki, where (unfortunately) Tagaziel's and my opinion differ. (Sorry, @Tagz o:) )

The first and rather new thing is the usage of spoiler tags. I don't talk about quest pages – that there spoilers will be found is sure. But what about backgrounds of people and places that might reveal facts, only learnt late in the game or at least after some progress in the plot? Sure, you all have played the game several times now and can't be surprised anymore, but I think also of new players (and the successor might spawn many of them) and this in general. I think, it's a good practice to hide revealing facts, so that any readers can decide by themselves if they want to have that piece of information right now – or not.

And the other thing is capitalization. We had a short debate about it on the wiki, which turned out to be a two versus one poll. I lost. The current practice is to spell all sort of things, except names and such, with lower cases, as in regular orthography. The game, however, uses upper-case initials for all words of an e.g. item.

If you would have to create an article about the new, say Hunting Bow from the game, would you call it this, as it appears in your inventory, or would you call it hunting bow, as the proper spelling would be?

I'm asking this here, because the community discussion on the wiki doesn't really attract many participants. But I think, you readers of this topic are community members, too, so – tada!

Some input and opinions would be really, really helpful!

You can find me on the wiki as compleCCity. Feel free to visit! :)

• Like 2

From my desk... As of 1:27 AM +1 GMT, I'm done with Phase One of the wiki improvement. November 26, 2017 to February 5, 2018, a complete playthrough through the base game and White March, adding missing quest coverage, characters, locations, and a ****load of writing culminating in hundreds of articles by my estimation.

The next step is the beta for PoE2 and implementing the new front page.

But first, sleep.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Uhm guys, why did a few many weapons dissapear from the list of unique weapons? I am speaking of:

- "Sword of Daenysis" rapier

- "Cladhaliath" spear

- "Unforgiven" flail

- "Forgotten Tear of the Belloved" flail

- "We Toki" battle axe

- "Rimecutter" battle axe

- "Edge of Reason" battle axe

- "Bittercut" sabre??

and others.

Also personally I liked that soulboud weapons were also displayed in that list. It was easier to look at just 1 page when choosing a weapon for the further build.

P.S. here's the old archive page I use instead of the current one.

Edited by MaxQuest

Uhm guys, why did a few many weapons dissapear from the list of unique weapons? I am speaking of:

- "Sword of Daenysis" rapier

- "Cladhaliath" spear

- "Unforgiven" flail

- "Forgotten Tear of the Belloved" flail

- "We Toki" battle axe

- "Rimecutter" battle axe

- "Edge of Reason" battle axe

- "Bittercut" sabre??

and others.

Also personally I liked that soulboud weapons were also displayed in that list. It was easier to look at just 1 page when choosing a weapon for the further build.

P.S. here's the old archive page I use instead of the current one.

Ye i agree this has been really annoying 

• Like 1