Suggestion: a cheaper tier with the printed collector's book. What do you think?

Chepaer tier with printed collector's book  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should Obsidian make the printed version of the collector's book available in a cheaper tier?

• Yes.
    • No. Printed books? Are you 60 or what?

Hey guys. I'm quite excited with this new project. This could be a turning point on the growing trend of ignoring the CRPG genre. The industry as a whole might change. That said, I'll be sure to back the project.

I haven't done it yet because, ever since I read the rewards, my heart is with the printed edition of the collector's book. By the description provided, the contents will be great, and I promptly imagined it in my bookshelf side by side with my AD&D and 3.5 D&D books. I kind of pictured it like a scenario rulebook, maybe even a possible source for ideas to use in pen & paper games. I may be wrong (and please correct me if that's the case), but that's the sort of thing I imagined the book could be.

So why don't I pledge for the $250 tier? Well, the thing is that it's simply too much for me at this time. I'm planning on a pledge around the $100 mark (the $140 tier especially looks sweet) and I know that's my limit. The thing is, as much as I love patches, a cloth map and a ourobouros t-shirt, I'd happily trade some of those for a printed collector's book if given the chance. I don't have a clue about cost equivalencies, but I'd like to suggest that, within reason, you guys come up with a cheaper tier that includes the printed book, an option for the old-schoolers like me who still enjoy a nice shelf full of RPG books.

I'm including a poll to gauge the interest in this option. Needless to say, I'll back the project anyway even if no changes are made and the printed book stays out of reach. But I think it goes with the spirit of the project (a comeback of CRPGs of old) and of kickstarter (listen to the community) to do so.

Good luck with the project. I'll be sure to voice my opinion in this forum in the coming months.

This doesn't work for a meaningful poll. It's no different than asking for a beta key at $100... someone will ask for $65... someone believes only $40 is reasonable... someone else thinks $250 is the sweet spot for that. etc. "It's in the spirit of PE KS to make everything as cheap as possible." Someone may far prefer the T-shirt and whatever over the book and hate this idea.

Whatever Obsidian decided for the tiers means what they believe is reasonable value for the cost and effort to produce the swag. Maybe the book will be available separately later; maybe it'll find its way onto eBay.

P.S.: You may be able to trade all of that for the book, if you can find someone reputable here/online for that.

Edited by Ieo

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

If you like games like Project Eternity and want to see more of them vote with your dollars. Getting the paper manual is just a convenient excuse to be generous in the short term and selfish in the long term.

• Like 1

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I'm going to say "Yes" because I'm selfish.

If Obsidian decides it's not feasible/worthwhile, they can keep things the way they are and I won't fuss, but hey, if your'e asking "do you want the paper book cheaper somehow", then I will say yes.

I'd also say yes to a "Backer Store" like Wasteland 2 added in for its backers that would allow me to donate more after the fact for higher-level tiers. ;)

• Like 1

Printing costs aren't low. so I voted no. If you really want the swag all that badly then donate more ... and try not to think of it like a dollar for dollar exchange in value. It's almost more like a pledge drive with public broadcasting, where you get the ten dollar gift for the fifty dollar pledge; you're not exactly getting full reimbursement in those higher tiers, a lot of it is prestige and the warm fuzzy feeling that you played a small part in helping this title come to market.

You don't want to include expensive physical swag at lower tiers, because if you do then you'll end up spending a surprising amount of your KS funding to produce and ship rewards.

Pretty much this. People will (almost) always try to get as much for as little as possible. There is a reason for why the more attractive rewards costs more money (besides that they are eating up a larger proportion of the pledged money).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'd like to see Obsidian do a merch store where we can buy some of this stuff if we want but can't afford the higher tiers.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I seem to remember suggesting that 6 years ago (give or take a year). An online store where you could buy coffee mugs with the portraits of the 5 founders :lol:

They could expand on the idea and offer posters and t-shirts (with concept art, portraits etc.), now that they have something that is actually their "own" property.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's not that printed books are old fashioned, it's just that the cost is larger. And there's got to be dangled incentive for us to pay hundreds of dollars.

Don't worry, we can probably buy a book like the collector's book sometime later. It might be published, you know.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

I'm not voting because the options are really either "I'm too cheap" or "books are stupid".

I'm trying to get enough money together to go for the $250 tier, because I feel this project deserves that much support, and that collectors book sounds pretty awesome.

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

Feargus610.jpg

CARTMAN IS NOT AMUSED.

I chose "no".

Look guys, please stop being so selfish and asking for rewards from higher tiers. The items from the higher tiers are rewards, they are used as an incentive to get people to donate more to the project - and we all profit from this. They are trying to raise funds for the game and not make profit from selling items.

This is a one time only deal, you will never be able to get your hands on these items after the kickstarter has ended. So if you want to be one of the few hundred "special people" that own these awesome collectors items, then you have to cough up the cash.

:closed:

Wow. I should have guessed that there would a great backlash. I'm actually surprised to see the number of people that took the effort to bash the idea, despite it being nothing more than a proposed trade (take away some items to make space for the printed book) to add more options for backers (and maybe even add some more people to back the project in the proccess. I mean, the mere existance of a new tier or something would not prevent any of you from donating the $250 if you wanted .I think it's more than a bit unfair to condemn a call for options. Also, I can't see how being interested in donating for a kickstarter project, no matter how much, and proposing a change in rewards could qualify you for being "cheap".

"Selfish"? Really? A person who's backing a kickstarter is "selfish"?

Nevertheless, I can see around half the voters actually liked the idea, so I think my goal was achieved.

Printed image books cost a not-insignificant amount of money to make, so the lower the tier they're in the more that have to be printed (as the higher tiers also get it), and the less money is left to the developers to spend on the actual game. So I voted no, not because I think you have to be 60 to like physical books like the not-so-neutral poll text said.