Random stats or Bought Stats?

Random Stats Poll  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to roll your starting stats randomly or buy them from a pool? Or something else?

• Roll em randomly!
    • Random but you can adjust em.
    • Point buy ALSO with a random component of some kind
    • Everyone should start with the same stats based on their race and improve over time
    • I prefer straight point-buy.
    • Some other crazy thing I dreamed up (please share!)

I prefer Random.

Point buy, from my observations, results in "Clone-Characters". Meaning, in any point buy system, the majority of characters in a given class will have identical or near identical stats. A Fighter is always going to have an 18 strength and high Dex/Con. A Mage is always going to have a 18 Int. The Cleric will always have an 18 Wisdom. Because in any point buy system, to do anything less than a perfect score in your prime stat(s) is just unthinkable. No one is going to willingly make a fighter with all 15's.

Nonsense. People who exercise temperance or don't care about playing the optimal warrior or mage will play characters without maxed stats or skills all the time, because it's fun and interesting to do so. A low strength warrior can be both funny and tragic.

Actually, there are some people, not many but some, who will play with suboptimal stats just for the challeng and/or bragging rights.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I hate point buy I am with the OP and love rolling randomized dice like an over-caffeinated monkey whilst listening to the game theme music. But that's just me (no, me and the OP).

Point buy is too scientific and precise. And boring. We munchkins and twinks need to be considered too.

ToEE got it right: there was a little number on your sheet that displayed how many re-rolls you'd done. Your shame dogged you for the entire game.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'd have to go with randomized roll too.

There is something really interesting to me about playing a character who has imperfections, which unlike some of you I always end up with no matter how many times I press reroll :banghead: . Anyway, I think the stats can provide a great jumping off point for your characters personality. You know a kind of 'right, I've got a strong, pretty healthy, maybe a little accident prone fighter with the charm of a dustbin, how do I work with this?' moment.

:yes:

• Like 1

priestess2.jpg

The Divine Marshmallow shall succour the souls of the Righteous with his sweetness while the Faithless writhe in the molten syrup of his wrath.

Point Buy like PS:T and Fallout.

The catch is making the game use the often neglected stats like personality/charisma in a meaningful way and having some occasional consequences for min/max builds.

You neglect charisma and personality to your own detriment.

EDIT: Sorry, I mean in PS:T.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Straight points buy. I want to make the character however I feel like making him, not rely on chance to decide what character I'm going to roleplay as. If it's random, it almost feels like I have to roleplay according to how the stats happened to come up and build my character based on that, rather than build my character how I want to.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I am a bit unsure about this. I know that I also roll until I get a pretty nice statline in BG1 and 2 and IWD1, but then I use more time on character creation than is healthy :p.

Point buy makes me stress less about that I could have gotten a better statline if I just had used more time on rolling, so that can be nice too.