Elkay's Weapon Emporium - Your favourite magical items!

A white haired man appears at the top of the next sand dune...

...he waves at you and your adventuring party, in a half bouncing, running motion he bounds towards you. You and your party look at each other, eyebrows raised. The man is wearing an oversized backpack, nearly twice his height, the bag is overloaded with swords, bows, poles, staves, and various other weapons. All sticking out from various pockets at odd angles. A flails head swings precariously close to the man's head.

As the man reaches your party, in a single swift motion, he swings the bag round and it unfolds into a large blanket with all the weapons laid out perfectly. He spreads his arm wide and gives a big grin.

"What can I do you for?"

Your party all step closer cautiously, wary of a lone traveller in this dangerous part of the world, was this a ruse of some sort? After a few moments you determine he is genuine. All questions directed at him regarding his travelling are answered with winks and nose taps.

"This is a fine sword you have here, but I'm after a named variant, The Biting Ishktar of Fellowmane, have you heard of it?" Asks one of your party members. The rest of your team is genuinely impressed with the goods on offer and some of them are testing the weapons for weight and balance.

"Heard of it? I own one of the last three, it's in my shop" Said the white haired man, thumbing over his shoulder as if his shop was right behind him.

"Where is your shop merchant? There is nothing for hundreds of miles around!" Replied your party member, equal measures of eagerness and bitterness in his reply.

The white haired man reached into his pocket and brought out a huge zipper. Attached it to the air itself just above the sandy ground and pulled up.

The fabric of this realm unzipped, revealing an opening to a new plane of existence. Like a tent flap, the white haired man stepped in. A few seconds later he poked his head out of the flap.

"Well, are you coming to shop or not?"

You and party members enter an 'Aladdin's cave' of treasure. Weapons, armour, magical trinkets and even a few cages holding exotic animals. You wander around with your mouth open.

"Take your time! Browse!" The white haired man sat down and put his feet up on a counter, at the far end of the overly filled room. An intricate wooden sign hung above him - Elkay's Weapon Emporium.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

TL;DR

Hello! This is a light hearted thread with two purposes.

1. Remember our favourite magical items, be it from books, pen and paper games or video games.

2. What magical item would you like to find in Elkay's Weapon Emporium? Or in Project Eternity? (Create your own magical item!)

I love creating new magical items, not just the interesting properties, but the story behind it's creation and how it ended up in the current owners hands.

I really hope Obsidian take great care in their items, randomized weapons can be fun in games like Diablo 3, but it really breaks immersion for me if there is no 'named items' with a good back story.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

So here we go...

One of my favourite, most rememberable items would be the famous Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity from Baldur's gate. I must've been about thirteen or fourteen when I first played and I remember genuinely being upset that I turned my male warrior to a female.

I'd love to see a bag of monster holding, similar to a wand of monster summoning from various D&D settings. The key difference would be that there would be a lot charges and potentially could pull out huge monsters, such as red dragons, beholders or giant trolls!

Gist of the story would be a family of leather workers fall on hard times.Their son being creative and a bit mischievous with magic creates a bag of holding, the family shoot to great fame and wealth. The son continues to better his bags and eventually creates a bag which can hold, frozen in time, living things. The story would play out with the son getting trapped in the bag. Hey, maybe he could be pulled out as a part of an event and he could join your party?

Lots of love,

LK

"We must be bound to one another then," Elric murmured despairingly. "Bound by hell-forged chains and fate-haunted circumstance. Well, then--let it be thus so--and men will have cause to tremble and flee when they hear the names of Elric of Melinbone and Stormbringer, his sword. We are two of a kind--produced by an age which has deserted us. Let us give this age cause to hate us!”

With the impotance of souls in this setting such a dreadful weapon would be horror incarnate, severing the screaming essence of all it is set against, the sound of its scraping steel as it is pulled from the sheath echoing with the cry of a thousand devoured souls. To weild such a thing would invite madness or doom.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I fondly remember the Flail of Ages from BG2. Finding the pieces in a castle overrun by monsters and filled with tragedy, assembling it, and improving it in the expansion. I loved the lore as to how it was created and why it was divided as well.

• Like 1

"We must be bound to one another then," Elric murmured despairingly. "Bound by hell-forged chains and fate-haunted circumstance. Well, then--let it be thus so--and men will have cause to tremble and flee when they hear the names of Elric of Melinbone and Stormbringer, his sword. We are two of a kind--produced by an age which has deserted us. Let us give this age cause to hate us!”

With the impotance of souls in this setting such a dreadful weapon would be horror incarnate, severing the screaming essence of all it is set against, the sound of its scraping steel as it is pulled from the sheath echoing with the cry of a thousand devoured souls. To weild such a thing would invite madness or doom.

Woah, hair on arms raised. Sounds like the sword could be sentient, totally skewed by the thousands of souls that it's devoured. Could make your protagonist do things unwillingly... mmmmm! Great post.

I fondly remember the Flail of Ages from BG2. Finding the pieces in a castle overrun by monsters and filled with tragedy, assembling it, and improving it in the expansion. I loved the lore as to how it was created and why it was divided as well.

Ahh, I remember completing this quest on one of my play throughs, though I never played Throne of Bhaal ;( Weapons with long history and allowing you to create new history is something that is really missing from a lot of games. Far too many 'randomized' weapons.

All this talk of BG2 is making me think we should start a 'Let's play' thread and in book club style we could all report back what happened in our games.

This:

The House of Zebulon is a small stone cube, painted with a door and windows. When the owner desires, he may cause a doorway to appear. Stepping through this doorway carries the person and anyone or anything with him inside the cube to a small apartment of six rooms. Here the person may stay as long as he wants. He may leave the house at any time by stepping through the same door. Once a week, he may project the doorway to any location he is familiar with as in the spell Teleport"

• Like 1

1. (pen and paper) Legendary Spiked Chain of Kossuth -- Unlocked numerous bonuses and abilities as you completed quests and achievements. It was formerly from a Fire Giant who served the god Kossuth and eventually found and used by one of our party members who was a Goliath. It was amazing. The only thing that could make it any better is if it were a weapon familiar or if it was sentient. I love that kind of stuff for RP flavor.

2. I love spiked chains as weapons and I really love vampiric type effects.

• Like 1

the zerth blade (from PS:T)

seriously awe inspiring with the the unbroken circle of zerthimon (though not a weapon)

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

1. (pen and paper) Legendary Spiked Chain of Kossuth -- Unlocked numerous bonuses and abilities as you completed quests and achievements. It was formerly from a Fire Giant who served the god Kossuth and eventually found and used by one of our party members who was a Goliath. It was amazing. The only thing that could make it any better is if it were a weapon familiar or if it was sentient. I love that kind of stuff for RP flavor.

2. I love spiked chains as weapons and I really love vampiric type effects.

Legendary Spiked Chain of Kossuth sounds an excellent piece in any pen and paper adventure. I also love sentient weapons and items, R.A Salvatore - Crystal Shard is an amazing book regarding a sentient artefact. With the souls theme to PE hopefully we'll see a few sentient items, not loads as I think it takes something away from awesomeness.

Taking what you love...

Balrock Strongmirth, brave paladin, was tired from the fight. The chain expertly swung and thrown continued to bite into his armour. Every hit, he felt his strength seep out of him. The chain was black and dull, it reflected no light. At equal spacing there was nasty looking spikes only an inch tall, but deadly sharp. Balrock didn't see the last attack, all his strength sapped out of him, he couldn't even raise his shield. The chain wrapped around his neck, the spikes biting into his soft flesh. The blood didn't fall away from him though, the bleeds of blood danced and travelled along the chain, moving along the links if possessed. From the shadows came a gravelly voice "Zeskhia's Bane feeds again..."

Hmm...Crasnomyr was already mentioned..

Well, we always have EXACLIBUR.

I kinda liked the verison from Merlin:

THIS ONE (12:00) sound can make it feel so potent

And this one:

this one too (7:40 onward) .. but this version is redicolously overpowered. Cutting trouhg EVERYTHING.

Edited by TrashMan

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the `weapons of legacy` from D&D 3rd edition. These were basically items, often with long histories, that levelled with you, but you had to make some sacrifices for (loss of hit points or spell slots for example) and you had to complete certain rituals, like going to the grave of a previous owner. But what made these really fun was that you could be the one to start this legacy by doing something awesome. My absolute favourite was one I got in an D20 Modern Urban Arcana PnP setting...

The Department 7 Team had the edge of surprise over their prey. But that was about it. The enemy in question was a demon of great power and influence who had been coordinating crime in the bowels of London for decades. To make matters worse, it was surrounded by its entourage, a group of insane cultists, armed with mad zeal, grim skill, and big shotguns. This was going to be difficult, The Reverend Karl Von Hohenheim-Stuttgart knew as, muttering the 149th Psalm under his breath, he raised his enchanted H&K G3 and fired the bullet that would begin the deadly confrontation...

... And instantly end it, as a Consecrated 7.62mm High Explosive round scythed into the demons head and reduced it to paste. Seeing their `god` killed so suddenly, the cultists dropped their weapons on the spot.

But from that day onward, a little of the demons power resided in the gun that had destroyed it - and even a little of its intellect, if not its malevolence. And from that day forward, the might of the `Equaliser`, as the rifle came to be known, increased and increased, as more and more of the enemies of Righteousness, Law, Morality and Earl Grey Tea met their doom under its fire...

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.

In a fit of whimsy:

• Frobin's diabolical weed whacker.
  • Everready's folding pocket greatsword.
  • Helm of undergarment viewing.
  • Glasses of steaming.
  • Boots of arse kicking.
  • Cloak of episodic melodrama.
  • Whip of frothing.
  • Portable boot licker.
  • Bag of holding vegetables.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."