Guns kill mages.... mage hunter class?

If magic is merely the utilization of the power in your soul in PE, wouldn't that make everyone a wizard? Yes, some to a lesser degree than others, but even so...if you accept this as truth, does that not also make everyone a mage-hunter? :p

So, although I do enjoy the way they are carefully and specifically weaving firearms into the world, I don't suspect a clear cut mage-hunter class on the horizons. :)

It sounds like there will be a lot of cultural bias caused by the gods playing their worshipers against each other. If the soul is a way to tap into cosmic forces, maybe the gods would rather mortals didn't use the power they want for themselves, so they tell their followers that wizards are evil heretics. Or something.

A Witch Hunter is an interesting concept, but a hard counter that makes magic users useless the second they run across one is not interesting at all.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

A Witch Hunter is an interesting concept, but a hard counter that makes magic users useless the second they run across one is not interesting at all.

I agree, the ability to seriously hurt mages with guns should be top tier stuff, you might need to craft the best bullets and gunpowders, take a skill for using rifled barrels etc.

Edited by WDeranged

I do like the idea of firearms being a mage-killer's weapon while still being crude enough that swords and armour aren't obsolete yet. Gameplay-wise, archers usually end up being your mage killers anyway, and I think the combination of the ranged combat role with this lore that guns are especially good at penetrating magic defenses is a sensible one.

If I recall, firearms in this setting are much closer range than what you I think are suggesting.

I don't mean snipers, if that's what you're suggesting. Archers in RPGs are often your most optimal mage-killers in combat encounters, from the old infinity engine games through to the likes of Dragon Age. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a firearm to have the same range as a shortbow and fill much the same role in combat.

I'm basing what I'm saying off of this quote from the Kickstarter update:

Despite this, some individuals do employ firearms for one specific purpose: close range penetration of the arcane veil, a standard magical defense employed by wizards.

Note the bolded.

A well swung pickaxe has more energy per square inch of contact surface than most bullets. I suggest driving spikes into mage skulls as a witch hunter.

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

A well swung pickaxe has more energy per square inch of contact surface than most bullets. I suggest driving spikes into mage skulls as a witch hunter.

For all we know it could be the fact that lead can bypass the arcane veil and a lead melee weapon would be a bad idea. It's too soft to make an effective sword or axe and it's also freakin' heavy.

Hard counters always have extreme weaknesses. A mage hunter isn't a bad idea as long as its strengths are balanced by weaknesses. Like the Wizardslayer kit in BG2, it was unable to use magic items. Sub-classes that specialize would be awesome, but they shouldn't be game breakers.

For all we know it could be the fact that lead can bypass the arcane veil and a lead melee weapon would be a bad idea. It's too soft to make an effective sword or axe and it's also freakin' heavy.

I will compromise then. Pistol in 1 hand, axe in the other. That would be fun!

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

It said in the update that the guns in the game are of the primitive slow variety. So the mage hunter can't really be a gun-slinger sort unless his whole shtick would revolve around ambushing the mage/sneaking up on one so they can make that shot count.

Ninja mage hunters?

What's even more interesting - I can't wait to build a gun-resistant mage :)

This, it seems like mages won't have armor restrictions. Hopefully the same goes for rogues.

With rogues the armor restrictions make sense, to a degree. You don't go sneaking through the shadows in full plate. That's not saying you shouldn't be allowed to try, but it's unlikely to end well.

What's even more interesting - I can't wait to build a gun-resistant mage :)

This, it seems like mages won't have armor restrictions. Hopefully the same goes for rogues.

With rogues the armor restrictions make sense, to a degree. You don't go sneaking through the shadows in full plate. That's not saying you shouldn't be allowed to try, but it's unlikely to end well.

Does a rogue always sneak?

I'm just against restriction in general. I'm not saying no penalties, just that we should be able to way up the pros and cons.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif