Hey,

so.. I really, really liked the portraits in BG2, but only very important characters had them. Then I started installing mods for the game (some of you might've read my outdated guide), and I was blown away by the atmospheric difference triggered by a Portrait mod. And those portraits weren't even good - they rarely matched the characters because they weren't custom-made, but grabbed from random portrait sites and resized to fit the game.

But if it were done professionally, with input from the writers and designers - the original creators - and with a uniform style, I think a brilliant thing could be achieved and immersion would profit greatly.

How 'bout it?

• Like 4

Hey,

so.. I really, really liked the portraits in BG2, but only very important characters had them. Then I started installing mods for the game (some of you might've read my outdated guide), and I was blown away by the atmospheric difference triggered by a Portrait mod. And those portraits weren't even good - they rarely matched the characters because they weren't custom-made, but grabbed from random portrait sites and resized to fit the game.

But if it were done professionally, with input from the writers and designers - the original creators - and with a uniform style, I think a brilliant thing could be achieved and immersion would profit greatly.

How 'bout it?

I'd like to stress that there should be a number of portraits available for the player to choose for their characters that are not in use by any NPCs. The reason? I always have to kill Garrick in Baldur's Gate since I don't want somebody with my characters face walking around.

• Like 3

Hey,

How 'bout it?

I'd like to stress that there should be a number of portraits available for the player to choose for their characters that are not in use by any NPCs. The reason? I always have to kill Garrick in Baldur's Gate since I don't want somebody with my characters face walking around.

Good point. ;)

The only downside to the request (I like the idea) is that the cost could be prohibitive. I think the developers would love to, but they are on a limited budget and art assets are expensive. Voice actors aren't the only artists that adds significant cost to a project.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The only downside to the request (I like the idea) is that the cost could be prohibitive. I think the developers would love to, but they are on a limited budget and art assets are expensive. Voice actors aren't the only artists that adds significant cost to a project.

Well, unlike the suggestion of asking for fans to act as amateur voice actors in the game for free or for reduced pay (which is folly), the idea of having Obsidian fans - many of whom we know to have excellent artistic abilities - chip in their own work for, say, one of the reward tiers on Kickstarter might hold some water. I mean, the fanart community is full of incredibly talented and creative artists who are just bursting with love for the company and the material, and I've no doubt that they would love to see their work featured in-game. Any thoughts?

Edited by LadySpace
  • Like 1

I haven't earned an entertaining and meaningful signature yet. But I will. Oh yes, I will indeed.

Well, unlike the suggestion of asking for fans to act as amateur voice actors in the game for free or for reduced pay (which is folly), the idea of having Obsidian fans - many of whom we know to have excellent artistic abilities - chip in their own work for, say, one of the reward tiers on Kickstarter might hold some water. I mean, the fanart community is full of incredibly talented and creative artists who are just bursting with love for the company and the material, and I've no doubt that they would love to see their work featured in-game. Any thoughts?

Inconsistency. Artistic styles wildly differ.
  • Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

However as a stretch goal, if Obsidian could figure how much it'd cost might work. But I don't think they could since the game probably won't be 100% nailed down until the kickstarter is over, so you wouldn't know how many named NPCs there are.

So yeah, its a nice idea but I kinda agree it'd be difficult if not impossible to do.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I wouldn't put this at the top of the list. I like games because of their writing, not because of who has a portrait and who doesn't. I mean, it's fine if the designers find that they have enough money, and this would really add more than other traits. But, I'd rather trade portraits for ALL non-essential characters away for the best writing this side of PS:T. I think it would be cool if it was found viable. Maybe this is even doable without much special design. I know NWN2 used the ingame faces as the portraits.

I suppose a big question for a stretch goal is whether this could be used to raise more money for other functions. If this sparked enough people to change their mind, then it would be worth it. I'm not sure this is the trait people will salivate over.

Edited by gglorious

The reason why you were able to get all of the portraits for random NPCs in a mod is because whoever made the mod got a bunch of art they don't have the rights to and packaged it together. Doing/licensing all your own stuff is an entirely different animal. I think much the same effect can be achieved by giving every NPC their own name, rather than 'farmer' or 'soldier' or something generic.

Maybe having a greater variety of portraits to choose for the PC, or a variety to pick for each companion might be more realistic.