Immortal children would bother me a lot less in a game like this than in something like Skyrim.

Still, I really, really hate the idea of intolerant simpletons getting their way over things like this. :getlost: It's just a video game.... they're just pixels. I'm not murdering a real child. Nor will the experience make me think that killing children is an acceptable thing to do.

• Like 5

Like BG2. No idea if they were killable or not, but if you want to be that big a bastard... You fiend.

As for whether the player gets to have kiddies of their own? Well there'd better be one hell of a story attached to that. And don't kill them in the first few minutes before there's even time to care that they exist.

• Like 2

Killable. It is going to be an M rated title, so what is the point of slapping morality-armour on children? It isn't like making them killable means included scripted torture scenes or anything really upsetting. Would just be exploding pixels.

• Like 1

Personally, I think there should be children and they should be killable.

Not because it is my dearest desire to walk in pools of blood of the six year olds, but because I do not like it if somebody is invincible in a RPG. (Another example would be: If you are stupid enough to kill somebody who gave a quest to you, you should, imo, deal with the consequences...)

And they should be in PE because a world without children is just weird.

You could solve this by giving a child slayer a really bad stigma and enormous drawbacks (?), like, for example, 95% of the merchants won't barter with you anymore (because even thieves abominate child slayers) and many NPCs who would have had a side quest for you won't talk to you anymore.

• Like 5

English is not my first language, so please forgive me any mistakes!

Children should be killable. I found it laughable that a game where you can detonate nuclear bomb in the middle of a city doesn't allow you to kill children because it's creepy.

Still, I really, really hate the idea of intolerant simpletons getting their way over things like this. :getlost: It's just a video game.... they're just pixels. I'm not murdering a real child. Nor will the experience make me think that killing children is an acceptable thing to do.

They wouldn't because it's not a AAA heavy marketed game, and would have to actually play it to find out abut childkilling, so they will be quit just like they were with Fallouts, Baldur's Gates and NVN's.

Edited by BasaltineBadger

Present & killable, like BG 1 & 2. I've never tried killing any kids in IWD so I don't know if they were immortal but I don't think so (I did kill a lot of kids in BG 1 when I had my solo F/M/C go on a quest to kill everything and everyone in the world).

Edited by limaxophobiacq
  • Like 1

If children are present and they are unkillable, can I have one as companion?

I'd have them in game and killable. Not that I go killing innocent NPCs.

Except maybe Noober.

Additional companions (including children, although they should be absolutely horrible in battle and need constant protection) would be a good strech goal.

Children should be killable. I found it laughable that a game where you can detonate nuclear bomb in the middle of a city doesn't allow you to kill children because it's creepy.

Family-friendly legislation.

The only way I might oppose violence towards children is if violence itself is treated with the respect it deserves. With a capital V. And all the consequences murder should bring to the player's reputation.

In a game where I kill someone's grown up child every five minutes? Meh. I'd rather I could try and avoid killing adults at least almost as much as I can avoid killing children.

That said, this is one silly pet-peeve to have.

Edited by Delterius

Children are optional. The gameplay won't be hurt if they are not included. If they are included then they absolutely must be killable and you should only get a reputation as a child killer if you are seen and caught. And getting a child killer reputation should not make the game unplayable afterward. Some npcs might even approve of it. Also, children should have weapons of some kind and fight back, with their stats being proportional to their age.

• Like 3

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

evil pc's should have option to sacrifice children to dark gods

• Like 7

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Children should be there and should be killable. Of course, there should be consequences for this.

If they are not killable, please remove them altogether, as it will otherwise shatter my supension of disbelief, like, 250 times more than their absence would.

In the end I find it stupid, you can kill, maim, destroy, use and misuse people but killing children is somehow worse? It got unbelievably dumb in FO3 where you could kill, maim, destroy and blow a whole town (KIDS INCLUDED!) with a nuke (not to mention Lil' Lamplight).

Edited by Tychoxi

Should Obsidian take the route of Skryim and add children in their rpg, but make them unkillable? Should children be present and killable? Or should children be absent from the game? Thoughts?

I want my rogueish character to have the option of "chunking" an annoying brat if he so chooses...or simply busting a cap in his ass.

don't put limits on my morality dammit!

I would say that child murder should not be in the game. And if it is, then there should be a HUGE reputation penalty for doing so. It should be so bad that many NPCs refuse to talk to you (making quests unavailable), some merchants refuse to barter with you and even some of your companions or NPCs will attack you. You will probably only see children in towns, so maybe even all of the townsfolk attacks you on sight, including quest givers, which makes the game impossible to complete.

It got unbelievable dumg in FO3 where you could kill, maim, destroy and blow a whole town (KIDS INCLUDED!) with a nuke.

Implied and explicit child murder are not the same thing.

:closed:

Yes, adding children would make the world more realistic. Yes, I think they should be unkillable. Obsidian said that the game would be 'mature', but, in my opinion, maturity doesn't equal being able to kill everyone in your way.

dont you think it is a bit strange that you want children inthe game for added realism but in your next sentance you negate that added realism by making them unkillable?