Update #5 - Souls, Technology, and Adventuring Companies

N.B.: I know I said I'd talk about mechanics today. I forgot that I had already said I'd talk about technology earlier. Sorry! The next update I do will talk about non-combat skills the nature of classes in Project Eternity.

Man you are awesome. Just earlier made a thread about non-combat skills and class use outside of combat. Saw you lurking there. And now this. Best Dev evar. :bow:

Devs, I have to say that the amount of updates that you provide is incredible. It means a lot to see these coming in and that you are keeping track of the conversations and ideas here. I was kind of nervous about a setting with firearms, but from the way you describe it, I like it. I also really like the fact that there are ships and exploration....and POLEARMS hurray for reach weapons (Can you please include a spiked chain type?). I am excited to see the conflict and intrigue that unfolds when "civilized" nations meet face to face with an isolated race of people. Really good stuff. Nice to see some more info on the donation tiers as well.

Great Job Obsidian!

That was a nice update (they're getting better and better).

Also, enemy adventuring companies? Great! I've always thought that it's a wasted opportunity to not include them. On that note, I've always wanted to play an cRPG in which you'd directly compete with another adventuring party throughout the whole game (I think Wizardry games had those). Maybe for the sequel? ;)

P.S.

Looks like the firearms will be really interesting to use.

P.S. II

Is that a rapier behind you, Josh? :)

Edited by Karranthain

Wow, you've already sold two of those $5 grand slots. Pretty nifty. Sure leaves my meager pledge in the dust. :Cant's wry grin icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Another nice update, thanks for that!

The whole business with souls kinda reminds me of the Red Wizard academy in Mask of the Betrayer, where you you could encounter various different souls, including fragmented ones if I remember right. There was a point where you could fuse two souls together.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Sounds like a lot of the basic wold building is coming together and it sounds brilliant.

I'm hopeful your ethics will affect the state of your soul in a non black and white way.

Also you've dragged the possibilities of sea monsters. Now you better let me meet one!

And maybe have a conversation about ethics and souls with it...

Wow, sounds terrific! Sea monsters and mythical lands almost make it sound like a Jules Verne Victorian kind of setting, which I always thought would be great for an RPG.

Just one question though -- have gods been confirmed by men to objectively exist and affect the world, like in the Forgotten Realms, or is it more a question of faith and open to reasonable doubt, like in Dragon Age?

Fantastic update! I really like what I'm seeing so far. So far, great ingredients for a fascinating setting and story. :)

Edited by Hagen

When in deadly danger

When beset by doubt

Run in little circles

Wave your arms and shout.

This update got me really exited.

The soul stuff sounds like it has a lot different stories you could tell with it.

I think that the daily update are a great way to keep people pumped and informed.

Be warned I'm dyslectic so there may be some typos and what-not in my posts.

Off-topic: P.S. if you continue with updates at this rate, the entire first page of this fora is going to be stickies. Perhaps an "Announcement" sub-forum as a place for all the updates, where users can't make new topics but can still comment to the Update posts, like now?

I second this. Highly. A subforum and then maybe ONE locked sticky thread on the main discussion page pointing to the official subsection to shepherd people to the right place.

I'd suggest un-pinning old Update threads after a day or two, as the information gets consolidated into the "Known Information" thread.

Heavier armor probably has some drawbacks.. like you're easier to hit (because you're less mobile), even if you absorb more damage. Also, for example, you'd use more stamina and cast spells at a slower pace?

I hope that's the case. Armor should be as complex as possible with many pros and cons... not just one set being better than another. Heavy armor should slow you down, rigid armor (as opposed to something loose lie chainmail) should make you less agile, certain types should be more durable than others, certain types should offer better protection against certain types of attacks (hacks, slashes, piercing blows, crushing blows, etc. etc.)

Sweet update.The setup/background events sound better and better.

Whatever the fundamental nature of mortal souls is, the people of the world accept the reality of what they have observed: that all mortal bodies contain perceptible energy bound to the individual, and that once they die, their energy will move forward in the eternal cycle that they are all a part of -- that as far as they know, they have always been a part of.
Am I the only one who's reminded of Soul Reaver and the Elder God? :shifty:

I am curious now about the soulless or those whose souls are in obfuscation but not fractured. What if someone is born with no discernible soul? They would probably be as prone to manipulation by magic as an inanimate object. Also, what about a soul that somehow solidifies as a material and animate substance? Is that a "god"? Can a soul transmigrate into an inanimate object or plant or cadaver by mistake? What about a soul that manages to entrap other souls and form a one winged angel form -- does it have blue on blue eyes?

Know any good recipes for making curries?

Is there an annual cook-off or sporting event between adventuring companies?

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

i hope we will not have to use firearms against mages

I'd imagine (hope) that it's not something that you have to do, only that doing so gives you a major advantage. Whether you want to use that advantage is up to you.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I was a bit sceptical towards guns initially but the way josh described them i trust obsidian will implement them in a sensible way. As i understand it their wont be a big rivalry with tech vs magic as in arcanum, the gun goes well with the idea of tactical gameplay as a hard counter to mage shields. As long as its rare enough and not every soldier carries one i think it will add to the complexity of the combat system wich i think is good.

Mages in armor? Sounds interesting as long as their is a distinct difference in the armors you get for your frontline bruisers and the frailer (i guess) spellcasters. I dont want full platearmor on all characters towards endgame as it limits the customization of your parties apperance and the different types of armor that is viable. Would be nice if the lighter armors had more stats that benefit spelldamage or likewise as it would force you to make a choice between survivability and damage output, utility or some other useful attributes.

This game has so much potential, i hope other companies (the newly restarted Black Isle for example) follow in Obsidians footsteps to get this genre back on its feet!

Wow, sounds terrific! Sea monsters and mythical lands almost make it sound like a Jules Verne Victorian kind of setting, which I always thought would be great for an RPG.

Just one question though -- have gods been confirmed by men to objectively exist and affect the world, like in the Forgotten Realms, or is it more a question of faith and open to reasonable doubt, like in Dragon Age?

Feargus confirmed the existence of deities, but not whether they are figments of imagination or whatnot. I'm pretty sure they'd exist, though.