Update #5 - Souls, Technology, and Adventuring Companies

I'm liking the way that souls are being handled. Some really interesting stuff that can be explored culturally through them, along with themes of self identity, since the souls are more or less eternal (as I understand it.) The take on Guns sounds pretty interesting too. A strategic weapon that has more weaknesses than strengths in a normal combat situation.

I don't see why you couldn't be an atheist in the game. After all, the logical argument is that the souls are created by the living rather than eternal. They're a by-product of magic that have become a talisman for religious belief. If someone wants to disbelieve (or believe) there's always an argument to be found, and sometimes quite good arguemnts.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Guns versus mages makes sense, and I like that idea. Seems like you'll use them to break magic shields, so that means they have a fairly specific use. Armoured mages sounds good to me. I dislike the fact that most rpg's decide that mages can only wear robes and not wear armour. Now we might actually see some mages that might be able to fend for themselves.

Reading about Souls has me thinking that we can expect unusual classes (or that's what I hope), since it seems to me like you'll be adventuring with people that have "strong souls", wich means they have their own powers. The question is if the use of powers will have any negative effect on souls, maybe wearing it out, leading to premature death. The new tier was a cool touch. If I hadn't already pledge an unhealthy amount of money, I would have tried to coordinate an Obsidian Community outlaws gang, but maybe someone else is willing to do that.

My only real concern is that there are lots of rewards that are left to backers. Inns, outlaws, NPCs, and items. I think this is awesome, and that was why I pledged as much as I did, but I fear that Obsidian are giving away a bit too much freedom. I hope J.E:S and co, are very strict with what is acceptable and what is not.

Tomorrow's update and the following J.E.S'. update are the ones I'm looking forward to the most. They are more interesting than gameplay footage at the moment.

Thanks for the update. Sounds quite interesting and dare I say, different. Yay for armoured mages. About time, those silly robes and Gandalf outfits annoy me. Robes are great for relaxing at home but adventuring needs a more practical outfit.

Good work, guys. Have a snack: Hot%20Dog%2012.gif

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Off-topic: P.S. if you continue with updates at this rate, the entire first page of this fora is going to be stickies. Perhaps an "Announcement" sub-forum as a place for all the updates, where users can't make new topics but can still comment to the Update posts, like now?

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Can one be an unbeliever?

Good question. Can I be an atheist bard who's got soul?

Well, depends on whether people know whether the gods manipulate soul or not.

But, since they might appear in front of you, the hero, to progress the plot, how can you be an atheist if you know they exist?

I wouldn't do this, but I wonder if folks could combine their pledges into a larger sum and then collaborate on how to create the party or inn or item or whatever. I'd rather just let the design team do it because I don't think I'd do a particularly good job, but combining pledges and then splitting up the bennies equitably could be a way for folks willing to work through the issues.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Off-topic: P.S. if you continue with updates at this rate, the entire first page of this fora is going to be stickies. Perhaps an "Announcement" sub-forum as a place for all the updates, where users can't make new topics but can still comment to the Update posts, like now?

I second this. Highly. A subforum and then maybe ONE locked sticky thread on the main discussion page pointing to the official subsection to shepherd people to the right place.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Awesome mage-killing, magic-hating, badass sniper NPC required, a cross between the guy in Saving Private Ryan and Edward Fox in The Day of the Jackal.

Update 5 says something about 'adventuring companies.' Magic 8 Ball says privateers, Sir Walter Raleigh, licensed corsairs.... oh yes.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I kind of see this as close to what Lionheart could have been if they'd done it right. Poor Lionheart got no end of hate.

• Like 2

Obsidian Plays

I'm hoping this means that the PC is going to be (or will have the choice to be) someone with a weak or fractured soul, and part of the plot is developing a stronger one (leveling up). I'm tired of games where you play "The Chosen One", stories where the protagonist is "special" by no fault of their own. I really like the potential in this.

I also like the idea of technology advancing faster than culture. It should make for some very interesting conflicts.

I wonder if you get to choose what kind of soul the PC has at character creation (combined, fractured, pure, divine-touched,etc) and that would determine some of their abilities or be required for certain classes.

Also on the arcane 'shield', I'll bet that the shield blocks attacks going both ways so that the magic user would need to take it down temporarily in order to blast someone. Otherwise how could you get through one if you don't have a gun?

• Like 2

Souls sound very interesting, and seem well weaved into the world and cultures.

What comes to technology levels, I'm interested to see what caused these differences between cultures(natural barriers, cultural shun, etc.).

Sea travel and monsters also intrigue me, there are colonies, but due to monsters, connection can maybe break from time to time, thus slowing the colonization process, which in turn probably slows the advancment towards indurstialisation. Real interesting.

And adventuring companies sound fun, I can only imagine what people come up with.

All in all, a great update.

Edited by OldRPG'sAreGood

Dude, I can see my own soul.....

Souls, the world and adventuring companies sound freaking awesome. Mr. Sawyer and company I salute you!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the new microphone works great. Hope you didn't have to beat up anyone in the office who is important for it. Who am I kidding, you are the most important!

Edited by Gurkog
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

Despite this, some individuals do employ firearms for one specific purpose: close range penetration of the arcane veil, a standard magical defense employed by wizards. The arcane veil is powerful, but it does not react well to the high-velocity projectiles generated by arquebuses and handguns. As a result, more wizards who previously relied on the veil and similar abjurations have turned to traditional armor for additional defense.

So a crossbow bolt would be too slow to break the veil? Because I imagine it would be a lot cheaper and reliable to use.

If the Internet is to be believed (and hey, has it steered any of us astray before? ;) ) a crossbow bolt moves at around 300 feet per second, not shabby at all. Early muskets, arquebuses, matchlocks, you are talking 1400 feet per second, or about 5 times faster. Yowza. I'd say that's enough of a difference to make this Arcane veil effective against crossbows but less so against bullets.

/pure speculation over.

Edited by Tocath
  • Like 2