Body parts and gratuitous violence

i don't know much about the new cRPGs but in the old ones when you killed a creature it pretty much fell down in one piece. can we have chopping of limbs and whatever appendages? the foe might still come at you, say, even you chopped both its legs. also it would be nice to see gore and gushing of whatever bodily fluid they have. i dunno, maybe this is fallout and wasteland 2 territory. but some of us sick souls would like this.

Edited by molarBear

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

i don't know much about the new cRPGs but in the old ones when you killed a creature it pretty much fell down in one piece. can we have chopping of limbs and whatever appendages? the foe might still come at you, say, even you chopped both its legs. also it would be nice to see gore and gushing whatever bodily fluid they have. i dunno, maybe this is fallout and wasteland 2 territory. but some of us sick souls would like this.

Baldurs Gate had that already.

I actually just finished playing the original Baldur's Gate, and if you did enough damage, NPC's exploded into chunks all over the place.

Personally, I'd support this... but then I like slightly dark fantasy. Medieval style combat, with magic thrown in, is not going to be pretty little gashes and slight burn marks. Limbs will fly. Flesh will roast. I'd love this as an option in the game (Note: I did say option. Make it a checkbox for people to turn off).

Just... not to the DA:O extreme of hitting a mob once, killing it and then leaving the battle completely covered in blood... O.o

• Like 1

I would not mind seeing different death animations or progressive damage to character models but that falls under the category of eye-candy. If they have the resources sure but it's not really a critical element.

Edit: Why the hell is the font size for all my posts defaulting to 10?! It's irritating.

Edited by oldmanpaco
  • Like 4

Codex Explorer

LOL, I was gleefully chopping Gibberlings up in BG1 last night, and espescially liked that they just fell to pieces. I don't want to see everything just fall apart, but if you have crit hits, it might make sense to have a limb removed, or a head. Keep it uncommon, and it can really add alittle spice to a game.

Don't really care either way, honestly. I found the Infinity Engine's gibs where limbs went flying halfway across the screen rather hilarious. In the first 2 Fallout games, it wasn't so much the violence of the crits themselves as the descriptions of them that I liked.

I actually just finished playing the original Baldur's Gate, and if you did enough damage, NPC's exploded into chunks all over the place.

Personally, I'd support this... but then I like slightly dark fantasy. Medieval style combat, with magic thrown in, is not going to be pretty little gashes and slight burn marks. Limbs will fly. Flesh will roast. I'd love this as an option in the game (Note: I did say option. Make it a checkbox for people to turn off).

Just... not to the DA:O extreme of hitting a mob once, killing it and then leaving the battle completely covered in blood... O.o

I am currently playing BG2 and the gore there is ridiculous as well when the bodies literally explode^^

But Yeah the blood in Origins was stupid especially if you go into a cutscene that should be moving and you see your character full of blood acting like nothing happend.

Don't really care either way, honestly. I found the Infinity Engine's gibs where limbs went flying halfway across the screen rather hilarious. In the first 2 Fallout games, it wasn't so much the violence of the crits themselves as the descriptions of them that I liked.

oh yeah i remembered, this is actually way better than graphic animations! :) (also saves $$$)

"the bruise will look nice, and maybe the scars will make nice party talk."

"drug dealer was critically hit in the right leg for 25 hit points, smashing the knee into the next town."

"metzger was critically hit in the head for 27 hit points. the attack crushes the temple. good night, gracie."

"slaver was critically hit in the right leg for 22 hit points, knocking him to the ground like a bowling pin in a league game."

"mole rat was critically hit in the head for 24 hit points, squashing the rodent's skull like a wet paper bag."

also "his head exploded like a blood sausage™" :p

Edited by molarBear

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

I really don't understand the appeal.

Gore will always be just that: gore. It's gore for the sake of gore.

I think I once heard, and I dunno if this is true, but supposedly one of the reasons Fallout is so violent is to reflect the warped 1950's culture, where people are smiling and happy, Ma is cooking apple pie as Little Billy practices for the baseball game and Pa comes home from work to a nice juicy steak, but at the same time we need to kill all communists and watch out for Sputnik. It was paranoid, sick and violent while also being optimistic and pleasant.

In that sense, the gore and violence of Fallout, alongside things like, say, the music you might be listening to WHILE dismembering and beheading your enemies, does a wonderful job of reflecting 1950's culture. Again, I dunno if this was the intention or if I heard that from a bogus source, but it it is true, props to Fallout for being the first series I know of to give purpose and meaning to gore.

Having said that, I'd rather not have gore unless it has a purpose. Over-the-top violence just for the sake of over-the-top violence because some people get a sick thrill out of seeing that kind of stuff? Sounds like a dumb reason to me...

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Having said that, I'd rather not have gore unless it has a purpose. Over-the-top violence just for the sake of over-the-top violence because some people get a sick thrill out of seeing that kind of stuff? Sounds like a dumb reason to me...

For me, the purpose here would be the feeling of the game taking place in some really dark, brutal and harrowing times, instead of just making it look like your average high-fantasy friendly neighbourhood LARP. The exploding bodies in BG/ID just look silly to me, so I'm hoping they'll steer clear of that in PE, but if they draw inspiration from Fallout's beautifully gruesome animations, I'm all for blood and gore.

• Like 1

For me, the purpose here would be the feeling of the game taking place in some really dark, brutal and harrowing times, instead of just making it look like your average high-fantasy friendly neighbourhood LARP. The exploding bodies in BG/ID just look silly to me, so I'm hoping they'll steer clear of that in PE, but if they draw inspiration from Fallout's beautifully gruesome animations, I'm all for blood and gore.

I'm for it if it's realistic, but typically it's over the top. Hence why I said no, because the word "gore" to me typically means violence that's unrealistic as hell.

Heads don't typically explode when shot. Slicing off someone's limbs isn't "just that easy." I somehow doubt entrails are so keen on spilling completely out the moment there's a hole in your stomache.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Crit explotion kills are very satisfying.

Limbs flying off is nice, but I would also like to see guts. Imagine like how in Soldier of Fortune, if you shot someone in the stomach, their guts would actually spill out. That, but from people slashing swords and stuff would be hellacopter cool.

I'm for it if it's realistic, but typically it's over the top. Hence why I said no, because the word "gore" to me typically means violence that's unrealistic as hell.

Heads don't typically explode when shot. Slicing off someone's limbs isn't "just that easy." I somehow doubt entrails are so keen on spilling completely out the moment there's a hole in your stomache.

Yeah, we're probably on the same page here. It's just that I would imagine getting brained by a mace really would make it look like the head "exploded". Also, dismembered limbs should have been common to say the least in melee warfare, the Thracians and their monstrous falxes come to mind.

Edited by Theudipald

I certainly wouldn't mind if say there was a warrior skill called "leg sweep" that requires a sharp edged two handed weapon like a greatsword or axe etc and if they crit with it a leg or legs were taken off in its swing path leaving the enemies alive but unable to move. Exploding into giblets just for the sake of giblets gets kinda cheesy pretty quickly.

Personally I would love to see as much blood and gore in my combat as possible. It makes the battles more fun and satisfying. I'd like to see OTT death animations for critical kills, spatter me with blood spray and give me varied methods for deconstructing my opponents. It would be nice if the corpses remained on the maps so I could survey my handiwork after the battle is over as well.

Blood and guts? Sure, whatever. Exploding gibs? Only if I can turn it off.

And since someone mentioned the DAO blood spatters: my favourite part of that was early on when Duncan knifes that one guy in the stomach during the Ostagar section. Blood bursts from him so violently that Duncan is not only covered in blood head to toe, but it's all over his back.

• Like 1
jcod0.png

i don't know much about the new cRPGs but in the old ones when you killed a creature it pretty much fell down in one piece. can we have chopping of limbs and whatever appendages? the foe might still come at you, say, even you chopped both its legs. also it would be nice to see gore and gushing of whatever bodily fluid they have. i dunno, maybe this is fallout and wasteland 2 territory. but some of us sick souls would like this.

I have never been into bodies that explode from a sword swing or dagger stab. DA2 was quite the offender in that department. Not against the system itself, just make sure there is an option to disable silly gore, huh? For the days I'm not in the mood for Flying Bodyparts.

Gore doesn't interest me in the least bit, nor does it make me feel more immersed in a game. I don't mind a small pool of blood (Fallout on low gore), or the red flash that you got from a hit in BG1 or BG2, but other than that, leave it out. It doesn't add anything. IF it gets put in, then allow a checkbox (or a slider) option like was present in the BG games (checkbox) and Fallout (slider).