Which RPG games to buy (GOG sale)?

The_Chosen_One

I know there is a gog general topic but I had a semi-pressing question and in the meantime I can make some more people aware of the sale. :)

Feel free to close this topic or let it slowly die after the sale has ended.

Link: http://www.gog.com/en/promo/hasbro_stacking_promo

A long time ago I started with games but I played more games like Dune 2, Warcraft 1, GTA1, DK, Duke 1-2-3, RoTT, JJR and such so I missed all the above. BG 1 will be remade and I asume BG 2 will follow aswell, I own NWN so that one drops aswell.

Is the rest all recommended (with some I can guess but just asking)?

And a subquestion; Which games of the recommended all have options for mods/patches for "enhanced gameplay", like higher resolution and that stuff. I don't mind older games but if can improve it why not? :sorcerer:

I'd recommend to get all BG games unless you want the ipad version. Why not wait for the enhanced edition?

Because for BG there exists the megamod. This is a collection of all BG mods unified in one installer. It joins both BG games, all expansions and mods in one gigantic game. It provides the classes, spells and better graphics already in BG 1. It includes excellenly written party banter in BG1 (in vanilla BG1 there is no banter at all).

You don't have to select all mods by your own. Just pick the recommended preselection.

Guide: http://downloads.spellholdstudios.net/BiG%20World%20v11%20english.pdf

Megamod: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/536-big-world-installpack-v111/

Take them all like I did. 9 isometric classics for around 30 bucks, that's great. And because of the climbing savings for each added game in the promo it's not really worth to take less than 9. Try it on your own on gog (I think 7 games are even cheaper than 6 games because of the climbing savings....).....;)

35167v4.jpg

Take them all like I did. 9 isometric classics for around 30 bucks, that's great. And because of the climbing savings for each added game in the promo it's not really worth to take less than 9. Try it on your own on gog (I think 7 games are even cheaper than 6 games because of the climbing savings....)..... ;)

^this. But start with Baldur's Gate ;)

First time players should play the game as they are.

NO MODS! They're old games so you should put up with how they were to understand the magic.

Usually i'd agree, but not here. The recommended version of the megamod doesn't add much to the game storywise. It just makes it look better and joins all parts together in one single consistent game. The addition of NPC banter and Unfinished Business adds very much to the atmosphere but in an unobtrusive way.

First time players should play the game as they are.

NO MODS! They're old games so you should put up with how they were to understand the magic.

Temple of Elemental Evil is virtually unplayable without mods. For example, you can hire followers in addition to the 5 you create at the start of the game. They all automatically take a share of any loot you get from chests and corpses which is fine until they become over-loaded and won't sell, drop or distribute what they've picked up. Ever. So your hired help are useless after the first encounter or two unless you plan to never loot anything while they're with you.

The Circle of Eight mod pack fixes a bunch of issues and despite not having much story to it, ToEE was a great turn-based tactical combat game.

Edited by Serrano

Temple of Elemental Evil is virtually unplayable without mods. For example, you can hire followers in addition to the 5 you create at the start of the game. They all automatically take a share of any loot you get from chests and corpses which is fine until they become over-loaded and won't sell, drop or distribute what they've picked up. Ever. So your hired help are useless after the first encounter or two unless you plan to never loot anything while they're with you.

The Circle of Eight mod pack fixes a bunch of issues and despite not having much story to it, ToEE was a great turn-based tactical combat game.

That's one exception to the rule.

And no floyd, just no.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

BG1 and BG2 on GOG is a much better bet than the Enhanced Edition as things stand. They are perfectly playable and enjoyable 'vanilla', and mods can really enhance the game. In contrast, the Enhanced Edition's changes are less in the spirit of the game than the best mods, and really don't do a whole lot. It's only worthwhile if you want to play on tablets.

BG series, IWD series, Torment all have high resolution mods, bugfixing mods, etc; BG series has literally hundreds of mods, and if you ask here we can easily provide you with a good selection to use.

Planescape: Torment is a seminal game and obviously it has its problems, but it is an incomparable experience.

• Like 1

baldurs gate

planescape torment

baldurs gate 2

icewind dale

play them in that order

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Baldurs Gate 1.

Baldur's Gate 2.

Planescape Torment.

See you in a month.

PS Don't try to play these games like a Korean

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Worth getting the Icewind Dale games just for the soundtracks.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's interesting that IWD took a fair bit of flak at the time for being a plot-light dungeon crawler, but now is considered one of the masterpieces up there with BG and PS:T. I guess that's what happens when you've been exposed to ****ty modern AAA games for a decade.

To qualify: IWD is an awesome masterpiece of a game with a beautiful atmosphere, decent plot, and copious well-written dialogue. It's just far less non-linear than other IE games (although it is perhaps more non-linear in combat!)

Edited by Krezack

That's one exception to the rule.

And no floyd, just no.

You don't really provide a much explanation for your opinion.

You don't play Baldur's gate if you use megamod. You play Baldur's gate 2 with extra content. All the magic of BG1 is lost. The only thing first time players should think about using is Widescreen mod. Nothing else if they want to experience the pure Baldur's gate game.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

You don't play Baldur's gate if you use megamod. You play Baldur's gate 2 with extra content. All the magic of BG1 is lost.

Sorry, but this doesn't make much sense. Why is

joining both games that tell one progressive story

+ allowing the player to chose from all classes and magic spells that were introduced later right from the beginning

+ adding some banter that explains the changes of your companions characters between BG1 and BG2

+ restoring the content that was cut from the game

making BG1 like BG2 with extra content?

Again, i do NOT recommend installing the standard, full, or tactical version of the megamod. I do recommend installing the recommended version which was selected by the huge BG community to provide the most immersive, polished, and least obtrusive game experience. But you can even handpick all mods you want or not in the Big World Installer which then downloads and installs all mods you selected in the correct order.

If you do not install the mod then you have to play the whole BG saga with one of the very few BG 1 classes or have to make a completely new character for BG 2!

Moreover some companions will have "changed" without providing any explanation.

Edited by floyd ryan

While BG has the biggest nostalgia bonus (being the second game I've ever bought), Planescape: Torment was such a moving experience that I'd recommend that above all others. But if you cannot appreciate it for its deviation from standard fantasy and unique focus and text heaviness, then IWD would be my first recommendation. There's always something going on, it looks gorgeous, it sounds good (though the effects in PS: T are superior imo - clicking on a new spell was always awesome xD ) and the narration is great. I think I know it almost by heart :)

IWD2 if it's somewhat believable villains and good tactics you're after. Or TOEE for the latter (with COE mod).

BG2 if it's size that matters, and the beginning of Bioware's decline into consumerism above atmosphere or well told and developing stories (slay dragon after dragon, romances and strongholds).

The rest isn't my cup of tea so I won't recommend it.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I absolutely adored the combat in PS:T, so it stings me each time I hear Swayer or Avellone dissing PS:T's combat. Indeed, the spell graphics were fantastic.

Then again, maybe combat was boring if you played as a thief or fighter. I always got to level 9 as a fighter (for certain things like proficiencies and attacks per round and THAC0) and then switched to a mage. And then destroyed everything with fists and knives and spells. So good.

You don't play Baldur's gate if you use megamod. You play Baldur's gate 2 with extra content. All the magic of BG1 is lost.

Sorry, but this doesn't make much sense. Why is

joining both games that tell one progressive story

+ allowing the player to chose from all classes and magic spells that were introduced later right from the beginning

+ adding some banter that explains the changes of your companions characters between BG1 and BG2

+ restoring the content that was cut from the game

making BG1 like BG2 with extra content?

Again, i do NOT recommend installing the standard, full, or tactical version of the megamod. I do recommend installing the recommended version which was selected by the huge BG community to provide the most immersive, polished, and least obtrusive game experience. But you can even handpick all mods you want or not in the Big World Installer which then downloads and installs all mods you selected in the correct order.

If you do not install the mod then you have to play the whole BG saga with one of the very few BG 1 classes or have to make a completely new character for BG 2!

Moreover some companions will have "changed" without providing any explanation.

I still think that people should play the games without mods the first time.

But I'm just being nostalgic perhaps.

So, what mods are recommended for IWD 1/2?

Do you recommend both games or is one much better than the other?

I don't think I've ever used mods for the IWD games, so I can't help you there. As for one being "better" than the other, that depends on how you define better. The story and plot is more coherent in IWD1, but IWD2 boosts some serious UI improvements as well as newer rules (somebody correct this p&p noob is I get it wrong, but I think IWD2 featured 3.0 rules as opposed to the old 2.0 d&d rules in IWD1). Several attempts were made to port other Infinity Engine games to the IWD2 engine, but I think nobody managed a truly stable release.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein