First of all, English is not my native language, so you should expect many grammar and spelling errors in my post. I sincerely hope that you will not ignore me just because of my poor English.

Now, back to the topic. I noticed many discussions about playble races races in this game but I didn't notice anything about the animals and monsters that we can expect to see in Project eternity. In most fantasy themed games animals look like our Earth animals like wolves, or inspired by our animals (giant wolves, direwolves etc), or like combinations of several kinds of Earth animal species. I have nothing against that! However, I'd like to see a some more imaginative, more alien creatures. For example, these are some of the creatures of TES3: Morrowind:

http://elderscrolls..../wiki/Nix-Hound

http://elderscrolls.....com/wiki/Netch

http://elderscrolls....om/wiki/Kagouti

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Silt_Strider

I think that the presence of some more alien creatures (of course in addition to the more "common" ones!) would help with sense of wonder while exploring new world.

Edited by Drake Douay
  • Like 3

I'm all for more alien creatures, and alien enviroments as well. But I believe that more traditional creatures, such as wolves, have their place as well.

Though one thing I'd really like to see when it comes to creatures in this game, would be a "Book of monsters" kind of thing, with a description of the monster race alongside with a sketch. They could also be categorized into many books, such as "Book of monsters: Undead" or ":humanoids" etc.

Dude, I can see my own soul.....

Some really scary, horrible, outlandish monsters would be nice. And please, no rats. I like rats, I don't want to slaughter them.

What about the worst monster in the world... yes I am talking about spiders. Well I don't like any kind of spiders, example Skyrim's spiders are so scary and annoying for me and few people which I know. I like RPG games and I know spiders are important in fantasy (?) universes but imo they shouldn't take it so seroius and implement spiders. IMO developers shouldn't add them or make spiders aren't so scary. Will you ask WHY?

Because many people, men or women don't want to play game because there's something which can scary them. Look at Skyrim, I know it is RPG and spiders are part of universe, but why always add them? Why devs don't think about players who don't want to play because there are spiders. Tarantulas is so ****ing scary :<

if they decide to put some alien looking things in game i just hope they will provide decent in game explanation for their presence

Evolution isn't enough?

well, if most creatures look familiar and, well, normal and then you run into some creepy, strange looking alien thing... yeah, that thing sure as hell didnt evolve naturaly in the same world

thats why i hope that, if they put such creatures in their game, they will explain why they exist in game world

Some really scary, horrible, outlandish monsters would be nice. And please, no rats. I like rats, I don't want to slaughter them.

What about the worst monster in the world... yes I am talking about spiders. Well I don't like any kind of spiders, example Skyrim's spiders are so scary and annoying for me and few people which I know. I like RPG games and I know spiders are important in fantasy (?) universes but imo they shouldn't take it so seroius and implement spiders. IMO developers shouldn't add them or make spiders aren't so scary. Will you ask WHY?

Because many people, men or women don't want to play game because there's something which can scary them. Look at Skyrim, I know it is RPG and spiders are part of universe, but why always add them? Why devs don't think about players who don't want to play because there are spiders. Tarantulas is so ****ing scary :<

Spider toggle as stretch goal? :p

I'd like to see some inventive and different creatures. Morrowind is an excellent example to go by.

Transgender monsters...a variety of lycanthrope, perhaps?

To the OP's post; I'm a big fan of folklore and I think that all kinds of weird, alien and fantastic creatures can be put into the game through the world building that Obsidian pursues. I think they did a pretty interesting job in the creature designs for DS3 creating unusual creatures couched in cultural references. There could be a deep wellspring for that in PE if they set up the world in a way that certain veins of folklore lend themselves to the alien.

Dear sirs and madams, you forgot the most important issue: gay, lesbian and transgender monsters! I find it highly offensive and discriminatory for all the colourful, bountiful beasts out there to be of a single, sexual orientation.

Please, consider this post carefully. After all, we want to be as tolerant and open as possible, don't we?

"Nonsense. I speak horse. His name is Susan and he wants you to respect his life choices."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I think its hard to not have things fall into some sort of commonality for how we expect creatures to look. For example most of the Elder Scrolls critters look similar to existing creatures (maybe just not at the right size).

But as long as they work within the physicality of the world, I'm cool with a wider range of creature to pull from - similar to exisiting animals, similar to extinct animals, tweaks to make freaky animals and so forth.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just to spend my first post on something interesting.

As for many on the typical d&d style games i seam to remember its normal to have quite a lot of "creatures you dont find in your area or the forest."

A typical monster manual has quite an selection of funn creatures to meet the pc's :)

My point is just that it would be sweet to meet exotic greatures, even thou i like the smell of spiders after a fireball.. Delayed fireball ofcourse.. Hehe, has burnt the hive to crisp :)

It is quite obvious that most of the monsters will be drawn from one mythology or another, so the question which stands is: which one?:)

I must i would be quite suppriced to meet an elder thing, or even cthulhu himselfe, eeyah eeyah cthulhu fhtagn.. :)

But i do belive that will fit another game better :)

A well done setting can have the more traditional races and creatures. Still, a well done setting can completely get rid of the traditional and still be just as engaging. It's all about the direction they want to take. Personally I really am ready for something new visually. The amount of traditional content RPGs I've come across, or traditional content RPGs 'with a twist' that I've come across is ungodly massive in comparison to the unfortunately few that really tried to break from tradition.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Evolution should be considered when creating monsters for a setting. Specifically the concepts of microevolution where species adapt to their habitat. Deep sea creatures are some of the creepiest looking things out there because they've had to adapt to a very extreme environment. Something that I like in creature design is incorporating the side effects of magic. So say that a town goes through a lot of alchemical compounds, and dumps the left over reagents into the environment. How would this affect the wildlife? Magical mutations are always cool with me.