Wizards tower/stronghold in Eternity.

Would you like to see a player owned wizards tower in Eternity?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. would you like to see a wizards tower?

EDIT: sorry. Poll was broken when this was originally posted. NO was the only choice. :I. i am real good at the forums. #1.

EDIT2: Wizard Tower is a generalization. It was the easiest way for me to express the concept.

What I MEAN is a stronghold. and an INTERESTING one. Not a generic tower.

You know: A Wizards tower that can be acquired in the latter portion of the game. I personally LOVED the Planar Sphere. It was one of my favorite things in Baldur's Gate II. It just felt...so...so...mysterious. so magical. the art and atmosphere was simply perfect. I wished they could have spent more time and resources making it even more dynamic. More exploration and creation. More magic.

De'arnise keep was pretty cool as well (though I loved the planar sphere more.)

Who would like to see something similar in Project Eternity?

for the wizards tower, there are certain mechanics that, when properly implemented, are simply LOADS of fun.

1. Apprentice(s)--Selection of, Training of, turning them into your bestest friends(slaves). And the growth of their power and ambition(will they be loyal to you? will they betray you? is their apprenticeship just a means to an end for them?)

I don't just mean you pick from a lineup of potential apprentices. Ideally, searching for and convincing potential applicants (or their parents) to become your students should be a journey in itself.

2. Exploration of magics and magical beings dark and wonderful.

I can't think of much to say here. It's...Just the feeling of exploring Jon Irenicus's lab. Finding all the strange, horrible, and wondrous things there. The wonder of things beyond your comprehension. the djinn and the 'things' in the tubes that were once living beings. now imagine that YOU are the one who's delving into forbidden or lost magic and binding these great creature to your will. going to great lengths to create obscure magical apparatus.

3. Experiments.

Learn more about magic. Learn more about anatomy. Can you use the body parts of living creatures to sew together a protector for your lab? Can you enchant someone's boots to cause spiders to fall madly in love with them? then again, why spiders? why not bears? the world needs more bears falling in love with villagers. can we do it? Let's find out.

I assure you Mr. peasant sir that amorphous blob over there was absolutely NOT your son. it was a bandit. your son is the rooster in that cage over there. by the scorpions.

There are just so many great examples of crazy magic in Baldur's Gate and Planescape torment. I love those things. Many great chances for hilarity, fantastic text, and, if you're too lazy to do it yourself, forcing apprentices to experiment on kidnapped peasants.

Edited by Naril
  • Like 1

Class specific strongholds are great, I would like to see something different or unique done in this space though, please not an actual tower!

I agree. Tower was just the easiest way for me to generalize the concept. Something more interesting is in order.

Only I can have one :)

But seriously I don't know. Towers for wizards are classic, but I think if there is Wizards towers they should have some meaningful function like wizards need to see stars for some reason (for rechears/time tracking/magic). I don't think that it is valid reason for wizards to live in towers that they live them in other fantasy worlds.

Only I can have one :)

But seriously I don't know. Towers for wizards are classic, but I think if there is Wizards towers they should have some meaningful function like wizards need to see stars for some reason (for rechears/time tracking/magic). I don't think that it is valid reason for wizards to live in towers that they live them in other fantasy worlds.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I already mentioned this actually, but I don't mean an actual tower. Just the concept. A stronghold. like the planar sphere. Something interesting.

If we hit the 2 mil stretch goal we have been promised a house which is customizable. Instead of a lot different places maybe they could concentrate on making that place customizable for the different types of classes.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

If we hit the 2 mil stretch goal we have been promised a house which is customizable. Instead of a lot different places maybe they could concentrate on making that place customizable for the different types of classes.

Yeah. I like that. I have 'no' doubt that this will hit 2 million. personally I think(hope) that eternity will break Double Fine's record for 3.3 million. I hope they add Paypal soon. I prefer to use paypal, but if it's not added soon I'll have to cave and just use my card.

I use the term house as a generic term as I am assuming the developers did. If that house is customizable it could end up anything. I have no idea what is easier for Obsidian to do make an expandable residence or make different types of buildings for the different classes. Since the "house" has been promised as a stretch goal it seems logical to me that it will be something intricate and not just a Breezehome tossed in as a sop to players.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I liked the BG2 style strongholds, however they lacked a lot too. They seemed to just be a big adventure rather than a base of operations. If you were the right class you got some extra things to do, but when the adventure was over it wasn't really "yours" and not your base of operations really. They should have been the places where you go to find NPCs who left to rejoin your party, places to store your stuff.

Compare to having houses in Fallout 3 and Fallout:NV. A quick return if you want, chests for your stuff, places to stick trophies, vendors nearby. Very handy, and a stronghold should be a bit more than than too. Say a fighter's or paladin's stronghold should have a hireling to take along with you, a wizard's tower should have lab equipment for making magical items or learning new spells, a thief's stronghold should have access to the only really reliable fence , and so on. We don't really need one per class either.