Continue playing after the end of the story?

It depends on the story I guess, as well as the game design.

What I would definitely like to see is the possibility of our saves and characters being kept and possibly being taken into the sequel if they do one, porting over not only our level and gear, but our choices from the original game. Kind of like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, except with choices that... y'know... ACTUALLY MATTER.

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
15327.jpg

honestly i doubt that many of us will have motivation to play after the end of the story. it should be like in ps:t...i.e. remember before diving into fortress of regrets you could visit previous locations and there were interesting stuff (adahn, mercykillers in the bar talking about vhailor, coaxmetal giving you the torment blade etc.)

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

I vote strongly NO to this. There are few things that are better at ensuring that your choices in the game and the final climactic battle have no effect on the game world whatsover.

See Kingdoms of Amalur for an example. "Congratulations, you beat the big bad and stopped his invasion of our lands, but now all his foot soldiers are driven insane by the defeat, so you will keep meeting the exact same enemies in the same numbers wherever you go. But you are totally the hero of the world now."

Endless endgame is appropriate for grind-heavy games like Diablo 3 or World of Warcraft, not for choice & consequences and story driven games, like I hope we are getting here.

Edited by Lars Westergren

the heck no! just display a nice collection of ending slides mirroring the choices i've made. to continue the game after reaching the end feels totally out of place if the areas and the setting don't change at all. displaying all those different endings, given that there'll be different outcomes, in-game burns too much budget and development time. i feel the same transfers to ng+. this has to be balanced and will eat up a lot of time and effort to make it interesting enough to be justified. only blowing up the numbers to create hp sponges for a ng+ is boring. better take those ressources and use 'em to polish the game!

bottom line is that c&c is the best to encourage players to start all over again.

Edited by Semper

No it would only restrict the story. Like you can not die, or some other people in your party cant really die or they wont act as if someone dies and so on.

So clear no here. Make a point of no return and than that's it.

The topic question really does depend on the world and the story, doesn't it?

In games that allow you to walk around the world after the ending and see what's changed after all is said and done, I typically love that part to tiny little bits. It's rare, however. And it depends on the type of the story, how the story ends and how Obsidian plans to handle possible sequels/expansions.

In games where you pick up where you left off when going on your end game quest and keep exploring the world, I typically like it well enough, mostly because it allows me to follow the urgency of the game plot as urgently as I feel while not worrying about missing that tiny quest in the middle of nowhere. Again, however, it depends on how the story ends. And it also depends on the nature of the world. In Planescape I wouldn't want to go back to Sigil even if it didn't end the way it did. It's not the sort of world that is fun to explore after the story ends, your experience in the world is so tied to your experience in the story and vice versa.

So really, it depends. If it's a story/world where such a thing makes sense, I would love to play after the end. If it doesn't, then I don't.

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

After the credits have rolled the game could simply ask if you want to keep playing, I really liked finding the little snippets of after game content in Fallout 2, it allows the devs to blow off some steam and add the silly crap they couldn't put in the main game.

Ultimately I want whatever is suitable for the mood of the finale, if it's dark, heavy and final then I'd rather they just ended it, however, Obsidian have said that you'll be able to keep your character for future adventures so I'd guess that the ending might support some after MQ content.

It depends entirely on the story. If it's more open world, like a Fallout or something like that, where the main quest isn't necessarily the main focus of the entire game, then continuing after the main quest is finished is fine. But if it's more story driven, then I think the game should end after the story of the main quest is concluded.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you do get to wander around after the main storyline has been done.. You really, really, really, truly seriously need to actually have it mean something in the rest of the world.

Okay, that is if the main storyline actually has effects on the world and various factions and such like. But in general, there has to be some reaction in the rest of the world to what you've just gone through and achieved.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I would prefer a game that encourages exploration in some stages and gives a feeling of no urgency in some others so the player feels they have time to kill by running around sight-seeing.

Edited by Gurkog
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

I like having the ability to continue playing in some games - but usually it's limited to the shoot and loot games like Diablo, where I want an endless loot-hunt grind.

In the type of RPG that I believe (hope) P.E. will be, I want the game to have an ending. I look at it like thus: if you enjoyed the game enough where you want to stay in the world longer and keep on playing, start a new character and play the game again, taking different choices/paths, or reload earlier saves and experiment that way. So...no, I hope you can't keep on playing once you've beaten the game.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't see why this matters...if the game is left so that you can continue playing, and you want to, then do it. If you don't want to, then don't? Why restrict it artificially? The game has still ended anyways...

I'd love to go around and just explore the things I've missed, find/complete sidequests, etc... even after having finished the game. Unless the story concludes the game with something that alters the world in a very large way, I don't see why it can't work.

Always a nice touch when it's actually practical, the question is . . . is it practical for the setting, story and general form of game? I suppose we'll find out.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

• 3 weeks later...

I think games can be successful if they permit play afterwards, games with some reward and drain of said reward (food, drink, inn rooms) plus an upper level cap above what could be gained in the story. Of course, should PE be greatly successful, there might be some way of continuing play with a flow of DLC and maybe an Expansion or two. Plus, we might not have to worry because there will be other Old Fashioned CRPG appearing plus their DLC and expansions. And we'll have no extra money for those wonderful Magnum boots we've been considering and that trip to LA... *le sigh*

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."