Continue playing after the end of the story?

The only games that need to continue after the main story are those with really bad plots, ie Bethesda's. Expansions and other stuff are good, but otherwise free roaming after the end means something is lacking.

Also, yes to New Game +.

What about Fallout 2?

Also there are enough bad things about Fallout 3 (just as there are enough good) still I think they've nailed playing after the main plot's ending pretty good in Broken Steel. With recognizable changes in the world and after main plot specific quests.

• Like 1

The only games that need to continue after the main story are those with really bad plots, ie Bethesda's. Expansions and other stuff are good, but otherwise free roaming after the end means something is lacking.

Also, yes to New Game +.

What about Fallout 2?

Also there are enough bad things about Fallout 3 (just as there are enough good) still I think they've nailed playing after the main plot's ending pretty good in Broken Steel. With recognizable changes in the world and after main plot specific quests.

I said "need", not have. :grin:

Never played Fallout 2. it would be the exception. Still the outcry was big in F3, for me it was it was ridiculus either way. For NV, although I would like to see how the Mojave changed, the ending(just like the DLC endings) made me feel the arc was completed, for the time at least.

As for changes in BS. I didn't see much change with the FEV or without it. NV had too many variables. And I'm guessing PE will have as well.

Edited by kenup

Yes.

Also let's at first make it have a definitive ending with a moral lesson and a theme, then let's release a DLC that gives it post-ending gameplay and rips the moral lesson a new one, creating a new story that's essentially "wait my bad the bad guy isn't quite dead yet, sorry."

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I'm not sure.

I'd like to be able to continue playing after the end of the story. I think players should be permitted to see the land they've changed and saved. I think they should be able to refine situations, to alter relationships, to fight wandering monsters.

If it's enjoyable enough, players will buy new expansions just to see the new crisis and new characters.

• Like 1

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Do you think we will be able to continue playing and exploring the world with our character even after we finish the story?

If it makes sense on the story, sure!

They could certainly make it an option, or they would have a point in the story where they ask if you have finished all your quests because there will be no coming back etc.

Usually for me with RPG's, it's like I play the game doing all the small quests I can find, and soon as I've finished the "final encounter" I'm taking a break from the game, be it free roam after or not.

Later I'll pick it up again, and try to play an evil character but figure out :-****, I can't do it!.. and then I'll make a new Good character and play it again atleast threw the beginning of the game until I get bored by it :D

I would like to see an interactive epilogue. A lot of games will have pre-designed endings. Based on various criteria, if you fulfill them you get a specific (good, evil, neutral, etc) ending. What if the ending is treated another chapter where the hero or villain presence and actions throughout the story has changed things, and the PC gets to go in-game to these locations, to visit the people there, to experience it all in-game? To make the ending have a more lasting impact on the player, the ending is not just something to unlock once and that is it. For example if the PC is a villain and he revisits a location, the people there would run away from him.

• Like 2

Do you think we will be able to continue playing and exploring the world with our character even after we finish the story?

Will never understand the thought process behind this. Don't finish the mq if you don't want the game to end. Otherwise, if you have completed everything and there is nothing left to do...what is the point?

• Like 1

I say no for post ending gameplay. Games should end while you're still having fun (if you are, that is), not when you get tired of it and quit out of boredom.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Continuing on after the "ending" of a game almost always comes down to the type of game you are playing. In games that Bethesda makes (typically) the whole point is a free roaming, sandbox with the main plot sometimes secondary or even superfluous to actually playing the game -- they're almost like single player MMOs -- so having the main story end is much the same as finishing a really long side-quest. When it's over you can go back to what the game was designed for in the first place, which is dungeon delving and fighting hordes of bandits/raiders/etc.

In a story based RPG, where the whole point of the game is progressing the plot and exploration is a secondary goal of gameplay, then it usually feels awfully anti-climatic to have the hero get to the end, watch the credits roll and then get popped back into the scene of the last battle, accompanied by a hollowed out empty feeling of "Now what?" Can anybody really imagine Baldur's Gate continuing on after the credits rolled? Blech.

Edited by nikolokolus

In Fallout 2 I personally liked how they had made some end game dialogs if you continued to play after oil rig.

But really in what is most want is good main plot and what comes after that is up to developers. If they have good ideas for continue playing after end then go for it, if they have good ideas for New Game+ then go for it. But if they don't have such ideas then I don't need mediocre implementation, those cases I prefer do make new character and look what new things I can found out from game's plot.

Edited by Elerond