[Merged] Gods save us another romance thread

For people who are NOT apathetic or opposed to romances in games:  

455 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to sacrifice romances as a feature if it drew significant resources from other story features?

2. 2. Are you willing to sacrifice romances as a feature if it drew significant resources from gameplay design?

3. 3. Would you still want romance options in the game even if your hypothetical favorite NPC did not end up being available?

Nah, but those weirdos will eventually wander out, I guess that's what he's concerned about.

Weirdos maybe, but still a large group of consumers who will snatch any game, that has word "romances" in the description. If included we want them done good, while they don't particularly care about the quality of said romances.

Large? No. To be honest these people are one of the reasons RPGs have declined in recent years. These people should be chastised and shunned from RPG forums.

http://forums.obsidi...aracterization/

- The companion needs to ego-stroke the player in a variety of ways. Sometimes this can be romance, sometimes this can be simply reactivity (either brief barks or conversations about the player’s actions), or any of a variety of methods. Ultimately, however, any companion that simply sits around bitching, complaining, and haranguing the player isn’t someone you want to drag into the nearest dungeon to help clear it out… you may simply want to throw them in the dungeon and lock the door.

WAT?

What the hell? Am I child that needs to have his ego stroked every 5 minutes.

Ego stroking is one thing I utterly hate.

Yes.

He's really just talking about enjoying the game in different ways. Whether it's character progression or solving a puzzle, or NPCs complimenting your deeds in the game.

Edited by Grimlorn

http://forums.obsidi...aracterization/

- The companion needs to ego-stroke the player in a variety of ways. Sometimes this can be romance, sometimes this can be simply reactivity (either brief barks or conversations about the player’s actions), or any of a variety of methods. Ultimately, however, any companion that simply sits around bitching, complaining, and haranguing the player isn’t someone you want to drag into the nearest dungeon to help clear it out… you may simply want to throw them in the dungeon and lock the door.

WAT?

What the hell? Am I child that needs to have his ego stroked every 5 minutes.

Ego stroking is one thing I utterly hate.

It's basically just a matter of the companions acknowledging your achievements. You're reading into the line too much, and missing the context, I think.

Edited by JediMB

Something stirs within...

Romance junkies don't really "wander out", if they feel they're going to get their fix.

I'll be honest, I really don't want the obsessives around. I did some research on the BSN, and I've seen the worst they can offer. The Tali sweat analysis is only the most memorable one, but they can be pretty damn creepy regarding the characters (or their voice actors). I'm not concerned about them influencing the game, but they're still a drag to have around in conversations.

As for Chris Avellone's post about romances, it's here.

I haven't been there since ME3, but I still remember the last post I read before permanently leaving that forum and it was in regards to romances:

Question from Poster: Is there anyway to bypass the sex conversation -- I just was to hit it and forget it?

To be honest, I have seen some familiar names from there already posting on these forums, but not in this thread.

I much prefer the friendships that develop with the NPC's -- they can be very humorous and engaging.

Edited by SqueakyCat
  • Like 1

Trashman: He's talking about Elanee, the elf who watched the PC grow up and still fell in love despite that.

Elanee is getting a lot of flak for that, some of it unfair. I'm not a fan of love shows but I've still seen this trope countless times. It's still creepy and stalkerish though.

I know who he was talking about. My replay was exactly mean to indicate that i'ts really not creepy. And callign her crazy stalker bitch? A bit overly emotional, no?

Really.. some people seem to live just so they can hate.

To them there is no shades of grey, no different interpretations, no patience...I guess if a mother watches her child sleep it's CREEPY. If you lover watches you lovingly it's CREEPY.

You should go look up the version of Twilight from Edward's point of view that Smeyers was going to write until the first chapters were leaked and everyone went WTFBBQ over it. Elanee had that level of obsessiveness. And I'm not saying that I hated the character, far from it. That they would put such a character in the game was actually pretty awesome. I merely recognize her for the crazy stalker elf bitch that she is.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

So now every developer should be afraid of including romances? You're acting like a drama queen. They will stick to their romances topics so you won't have to deal with them.

Wow, are you the owner of www.strawman.com? The drama queen was the guy who flounced out and withdrew his pledge because of muskets.

I'm here for the long haul and have been since 2004.

Edited by Tigranes
Take a deep breath

sonsofgygax.JPG

Romance junkies don't really "wander out", if they feel they're going to get their fix.

I'll be honest, I really don't want the obsessives around. I did some research on the BSN, and I've seen the worst they can offer. The Tali sweat analysis is only the most memorable one, but they can be pretty damn creepy regarding the characters (or their voice actors). I'm not concerned about them influencing the game, but they're still a drag to have around in conversations.

As for Chris Avellone's post about romances, it's here.

Just meant they'd wander out of their thread and infest the forum or just otherwise bother Monte Carlo :p Luckily, we'd have to worry about this perverted NPC adoration after the release, though, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Watching form afar used to be romantic... then, around the late 90's, it became "stalkerish."

Clearly there's need for protecting people from real stalkers... but in the realm of fiction, I think it's a bit much to jump on a common trope and call it creepy.

Meh. I thought like that before, but people made me realize she watched over him for twenty damn years at least, and since he was a child to boot.

It's on obsession territory, and therefore, it's "stalkerish", on the unhealthy kind.

People really are getting worked up fast over love interests. Frankly, Obs, whatever you do, be very careful. Although people didn't really care about Alpha Protocol's women. I wonder why.

Watching form afar used to be romantic... then, around the late 90's, it became "stalkerish."

Clearly there's need for protecting people from real stalkers... but in the realm of fiction, I think it's a bit much to jump on a common trope and call it creepy.

Meh. I thought like that before, but people made me realize she watched over him for twenty damn years at least, and since he was a child to boot.

It's on obsession territory, and therefore, it's "stalkerish", on the unhealthy kind.

The stalker problem comes from obsession and intent.

If simply watching others without their knowledge or permission is considered stalking, you'd find a healthy chunk of the populace as stalkers.

There's a line. Elanee, as far as I'm concerned, wasn't even close.

Course, I am biased in this situation. I'll just say Mason and see if anyone knows what I mean.

Although people didn't really care about Alpha Protocol's women. I wonder why.

I cannot speak for others, but I thought all the characters in AP were great... and I loved Mina, Scarlett, Sis and, yes, even SIE. I'm hard pressed to think of a BAD character from AP, personally.

I don't think it's trolling, considering how the game bombed on charts, hard.

Not that reviews matter much, but just for the record -

Metacritic: PC

Critics - 72, Users - 7.5

Not steller, but not "bombing hard."

Bombing hard would be closer to at least Game of Thrones Genesis if not Postal III. Those games bombed hard.

It would be more accurate that Alpha Protocol garnered a mixed reception, the median opinions being that it did some things great and some things not well enough for a decent game overall.

Bombing hard would be closer to at least Game of Thrones Genesis if not Postal III. Those games bombed hard.

It would be more accurate that Alpha Protocol garnered a mixed reception, the median opinions being that it did some things great and some things not well enough for a decent game overall.

Given that in modern gaming press 10 means excellent, 9.5 means good, 9 means OK and 8 means that the bribe money got lost in the mail, 7 is pretty bad.

• Like 1

Say no to popamole!

Given that in modern gaming press 10 means excellent, 9.5 means good, 9 means OK and 8 means that the bribe money got lost in the mail, 7 is pretty bad.

In the same way that getting a C on an assignment is bad. If you're a straight A student, or have jerks for parents, that C can be nasty.

But you passed.

And the 72 or 7 is an average... meaning there are 90's and 9's in there as well as 1 42 and about 43 below 5's.

Another way to look at those scores - users were 233 positive, 17 mixed, 43 negative. That's pretty good as far as I'm concerned for "people generally liked the game." Far cry from "no one cared."

Edited by Merin

The user critics are pretty good, because it is a good game. At least that is what I think.

http://www.metacriti.../alpha-protocol

Sega just forced Obsidian to release the game buggy and unfinished, same **** with Fallout: New Vegas. And they ****ed up the marketing too.

Edited by dlux

:closed:

In the same way that getting a C on an assignment is bad. If you're a straight A student, or have jerks for parents, that C can be nasty.

But you passed.

And the 72 or 7 is an average... meaning there are 90's and 9's in there as well as 1 42 and about 43 below 5's.

Another way to look at those scores - users were 233 positive, 17 mixed, 43 negative. That's pretty good as far as I'm concerned for "people generally liked the game." Far cry from "no one cared."

Hey, I'm only saying what publishers believe about review scores - anything under 8 is a kiss of death. Logic has nothing to do with it.

Say no to popamole!

No offense to the The Sharmat, but I do feel it is kind of unfortunate that the thread that gets to stay the discussion about romance is the one with this weirdly worded and intentioned poll.

So do I, actually. This was never intended to be a "Do you want romances, y/n?" poll. It was meant to be a poll directed only at the demographic that wanted romances. Saying this is biased is like saying polling a Democratic/Republican primary is biased because it only lets you select between candidates from that one party. But a poll like that is irrelevant to a general election.

This comparison is really tortured. I suck at wording things.

I'm not concerned about them influencing the game, but they're still a drag to have around in conversations.

Those really creepy people (which are hideously common on BSN) are also generally unreasonable and would end up banned for entirely unrelated reasons as soon as they posted in other threads with a reasonable moderation team. Bioware doesn't have a reasonable moderation team. From what I've seen of this forum, Obsidian does.

Although people didn't really care about Alpha Protocol's women. I wonder why.

People didn't really care about Alpha Protocol, period.

Well, that's true really. Shame, it's a decent enough game, and Sie and Sis are two good characters but you don't get enough of the latter.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra