[Merged] Gods save us another romance thread

For people who are NOT apathetic or opposed to romances in games:  

455 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to sacrifice romances as a feature if it drew significant resources from other story features?

2. 2. Are you willing to sacrifice romances as a feature if it drew significant resources from gameplay design?

3. 3. Would you still want romance options in the game even if your hypothetical favorite NPC did not end up being available?

I like how you are attempting to paint the opposition as a bunch of whiners that haven't even pledged any money. Cool story.

I want to make an unbiased and very civilized poll on romances, where only backers can vote after the Kickstarter has ended. I do not doubt that any of the romance haters have not pledged and I have also not even written this.

Oh come on. You keep mentioning only kickstarters can vote in the poll in every post.

You're also insinuating the people who don't support your opinion aren't civilized and unbiased. I guess we're biased for playing RPGs and not liking romances.

Edited by Tigranes
Keep personal insults out

Anyway: If you can'tr afford $25 and back the game, then you won't be able to vote.

Err, what? No seriously...what? First, how would you know what I did or did not pledge? Second, I don't care about your silly poll.

And what about the other quotes that he made?

Wild guess? Lip service. I'm going with the quote a few pages back.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

I like how you are attempting to paint the opposition as a bunch of whiners that haven't even pledged any money. Cool story.

I want to make an unbiased and very civilized poll on romances, where only backers can vote after the Kickstarter has ended. I do not doubt that any of the romance haters have not pledged and I have also not even written this.

Keep playing innocent. Anyone with a brain can see you're full of crap and insinuating that. That's why you keep mentioning the poll in every post.

Ohh, are we getting mad and resorting to insults? lol. Keep on going, so that this thread is locked. :D

I only brought it up again because evdk did. Think before you post.

Anyway, that is the problem. Some of you romance haters are extremely aggresive and stubborn.

• Like 1

:closed:

Anyway: If you can'tr afford $25 and back the game, then you won't be able to vote.

Err, what? No seriously...what? First, how would you know what I did or did not pledge? Second, I don't care about your silly poll.

I said IF. Check your comprehension skills please. How am I even supposed to know who pledged? We won't even know until after the kickstarter has ended and everybody has their badges.

And you don't have to vote on my "silly" poll if you don't want to. But I have to say that you certainly seem to like this one. ^^

Edited by dlux

Not on either side of the fence re : romance, but entitlement is an ugly word that is almost ad hominem.

Anyone could say anyone's entitled about anything. Insisting that the game has BG styled combat? Entitlement. Insisting that guns not be in the game? Entitlement. Insisting that Linux support be added? Entitlement.

Really, it's such a vague, ugly catchall.

Read the poll. There are people who have voted for romances no matter what significant resources were taken from other parts of the game. That's incredibly entitled.

All that says is that they value romance over other story elements. Now, this is a position I disagree with, but that's like their opinion man. They just sound entitled because you, generic 'you' used to refer to non-romance fans, value other story elements more than romance.

To them, generic you will sound entitled, too, for demanding that the feature you want should have more priority than the feature they want. Ugly, right?

(Incidentally, I voted yes on all of these.)

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

Keep playing innocent. Anyone with a brain can see you're full of crap and insinuating that. That's why you keep mentioning the poll in every post.

Ohh, are we getting mad and resorting to insults? lol. Keep on going, so that this thread is locked. :D

Anyway, that is the problem. Some of you romance haters are extremely aggresive and stubborn.

I'm not mad at all. I just call it how I see it. You're the one who is passively, aggressively insulting people who don't agree with you. Saying you want an unbiased and civilized poll. That implies that anyone who doesn't agree with you in this thread isn't. Edited by Grimlorn

if you didn't see this:

Nick K: “Romances, are you planning on developing them in Project: Eternity as well?”

Feargus Urquhart: “Romances take a lot of effort, and I don’t want to be cagey on romances at all. We don’t want to make them a stretch goal, it’s just a question of if we feel comfortable with the funding. We have to do them right. Some people were giving us flak about, you know, the goal to get to the first companion, class, race, and things like that. They weren’t completely wrong in their criticism, but we don’t have nefarious reasons behind it. If it’s a pretty in depth companion Chris Avellone, who is a pretty quick writer, is looking at 2 or 3 months just for writing it up.”

**** romances!

I wrote a message yesterday where I thought romances didn't take more than a week to be done. Looks like I was horribly wrong.

2 or 3 months for one character? Man, it's waaaaay longer than expected. Well, I won't look like a fool anymore at least.

Keep in mind that it's writing an in depth companion that takes 2 or 3 months. Not a romance. Writing the romance would be a part of that companion-writing process, and the time will only be reduced if they decide to write shallow characters instead... which I don't believe anyone wants. I'll also refer to Avellone's recent blog entry on Project Eternity and characterization:

The companion needs to ego-stroke the player in a variety of ways. Sometimes this can be romance, sometimes this can be simply reactivity (either brief barks or conversations about the player’s actions), or any of a variety of methods.

I think everyone will just have to wait until after the funding period is over, and give the Obsidian team some time to look over their budget, before it can be expected that they say whether or not (and how many) romantically accessible characters are likely to make it into the game. They just don't want to make any promises that might lead to people paying for something that won't be delivered.

People interpreting Feargus' answer as some sort of definite "yes" or "no" are quite frankly suffering from selective reading.

• Like 1

Something stirs within...

People interpreting Feargus' answer as some sort of definite "yes" or "no" are quite frankly suffering from selective reading.

Never said anything was definitive. But after reading between the lines it's fairly obvious its not something they've got very high on their list. In fact...it sounds like at this moment its not on the list at all.

I'm not mad at all. I just call it how I see it. You're the one who is passively, aggressively insulting people who don't agree with you. Saying you want an unbiased and civilized poll. That implies that anyone who doesn't agree with you in this thread isn't.

I am truly sorry If anybody felt that I insulted them.

Never said anything was definitive. But after reading between the lines it's fairly obvious its not something they've got very high on their list. In fact...it sounds like at this moment its not on the list at all.

I'm going to have to chalk that up to personal bias.

Something stirs within...

I just hope they're only mentioning romances as a separate feature for the sake of the people who care about them as a separate feature.

Because treating it separately doesn't usually produce good results. It has to be a part of the general character interactions :|

Don't worry about us getting left out Dlux. If they do create a badge system, you can rest assure we'll have ours and be posting the same stuff we post here there. It'll be just as civilized and unbiased in that thread.

We are getting badges. Check the kickstarter.

Ok here is my 2 cents on this. First and foremost I want a fantasy questing game and not a romance game with fantasy elements. I am not opposed to romantic events in my game but it is not why I am playing. Make it flow as part of the story and I am ok. I just dont want them to be crammed down my throat or worse where everyone is bisexual and hitting on my character (ala dragona age 2).

• Like 3

esse quam videri

Ok here is my 2 cents on this. First and foremost I want a fantasy questing game and not a romance game with fantasy elements. I am not opposed to romantic events in my game but it is not why I am playing. Make it flow as part of the story and I am ok. I just dont want them to be crammed down my throat or worse where everyone is bisexual and hitting on my character (ala dragona age 2).

Pretty sure that's what most people want. There are just varying degrees of "Is this a good use of time and resources?" on either side of the fence. The BioWare fans clamoring for DA or ME style romances are the ones who will truly lose.

I feel the same way. Do it right (like in BG2) or don't do it at all. The romances in BG2 were a very small part of that huge game, but they really improved the story imo.

And I have no doubt that Obsidian can do it though, they are an awesome developer. :)

Edited by dlux

@dlux

I'm curious how you will be able to identify the backers for your Poll. I think only the $100+ tiers will be identified with a forum badge of some sort (which would leave around 41,000 actual backers of from $20 - $80 badgeless?). Or are the devs giving badges to all backers? I think I must be missing something.

@dlux

I'm curious how you will be able to identify the backers for your Poll. I think only the $100+ tiers will be identified with a forum badge of some sort (which would leave around 41,000 actual backers of from $20 - $80 badgeless?). Or are the devs giving badges to all backers? I think I must be missing something.

All backers will get a forum badge (I believe it will be similar to what the mods and devs have). Check the rewards on the kickstarter page. :)

Edited by dlux

@dlux

The 5$ tier offers a "backer" badge, but will people bother to use it is a different story.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."