[Merged] Gods save us another romance thread

For people who are NOT apathetic or opposed to romances in games:  

455 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to sacrifice romances as a feature if it drew significant resources from other story features?

2. 2. Are you willing to sacrifice romances as a feature if it drew significant resources from gameplay design?

3. 3. Would you still want romance options in the game even if your hypothetical favorite NPC did not end up being available?

You sure do love counting your chicks before they hatch.

They haven't "politely dismissed" anything and I have read everything that Feargus has writen. They are still thinking about it and have not made an official statement. They are even thinking of hiring a writer and we will see where this leads.

You are counting your chicks too. Nothing is confirmed.

You know, just saying. You sure forgot my post quickly.

Didn't I just say that? I did not say that anything is confirmed - don't put words in my mouth.

Feargus has said they are going through the possibilities and one of them is adding a writer to do the romances. He did actually write this. But we will see if they actually add romances or not.

:closed:

When I finally get around to recruiting a relentless army of zombies to storm the Houses of Parliament, made up of indefatigable, drooling, single-minded fanatics, I'm going to get a load of CRPG romance fans on board. They are incredible, completely irrepressible. Like knotweed.

I don't know about cRPG romance fans. I've enjoyed some of them, but I don't really care if they aren't. Does that make me a mindless drone too?

Romance junkies, on the other hand, are probabbly good fodder, yeah. Junkies in general can be so easy to get on your side, aren't they?

(Shut up, I'm having fun playing both sides :p)

Yeah, I've seen this before, too. "Oh, we are only suggesting. Yeah, that's the word. We are not forcing you to please us or anything, but we're going to be very happy if you do it, and disappointed if you don't. And we're going to repeat it to you several times. Just in case you were going to forget that there's a target for this or anything. No pressure".

This kind of behavior reeks of emotional blackmail. I'm happy if Obsidian will do it because they want to, but if they do it because they feel pressured to, that's not so good.

And that's why Dlux wants to create another thread and poll so only people for romance can vote, so she can manipulate the developers.

They are still thinking about it and have not made an official statement.

As if they'd make an official statement. They're likely to continue deflecting it using carefully chosen statements of moderate disregard until suddenly you're holding a non-companion-romanceable game in your hands.

Ohhh, so you already know that they are not going to add romances. I wish I had your crystal ball. ^^

Anyway, they are also thinking about translations and have not made any official statements on that either... According to your logic the game will not be translated. Is this true? What does your crystal ball say? ^^

Not on either side of the fence re : romance, but entitlement is an ugly word that is almost ad hominem.

Anyone could say anyone's entitled about anything. Insisting that the game has BG styled combat? Entitlement. Insisting that guns not be in the game? Entitlement. Insisting that Linux support be added? Entitlement.

Really, it's such a vague, ugly catchall.

Read the poll. There are people who have voted for romances no matter what significant resources were taken from other parts of the game. That's incredibly entitled.

They are still thinking about it and have not made an official statement.

As if they'd make an official statement. They're likely to continue deflecting it using carefully chosen statements of moderate disregard until suddenly you're holding a non-companion-romanceable game in your hands.

You are suggesting that they do normal publisher rutine and only share that information about game that they think will bring more money and only hint of those decision that they feel could cause some backers to drop their support?

This stupid poll is so one sided and biased. How about these here:

"Are you willing to sacrifice swords as a weapons if it drew significant resources from other combat features?", because I hate swords.

"Are you willing to sacrifice some spells if it drew significant resources from other combat features?", because I hate magic.

"Are you willing to sacrifice NPC animations if it drew significant resources from PC animation?", because I hate animations.

I could go on forever. lol

How much of the resources for BG2 were spent on writing the romances anyway? Probably not even near 0,1%.

Amen!

Addition a romance to the story is not a problem of recourse. It is a problem of depth of the game, sure you can have wonderful over all story, but weather that is a relationship in form of romance or just friendship it WILL be included in the game, I am almost 100% sure of that. Why? because NPC;s are not just mobs that run around with you for killing things, they have their own stories and they bring something of their own to the story. Romance can only add to that not damage it (if it is not a complete fail that is - however that is story writers problem, not developers)

toplogow.jpg

Yeah, I've seen this before, too. "Oh, we are only suggesting. Yeah, that's the word. We are not forcing you to please us or anything, but we're going to be very happy if you do it, and disappointed if you don't. And we're going to repeat it to you several times. Just in case you were going to forget that there's a target for this or anything. No pressure".

This kind of behavior reeks of emotional blackmail. I'm happy if Obsidian will do it because they want to, but if they do it because they feel pressured to, that's not so good.

And that's why Dlux wants to create another thread and poll so only people for romance can vote, so she can manipulate the developers.

Well, you will be allowed to vote too if you're a kickstarter backer. Do your best to manipulate the developers by adding your vote. ^^

Well, you will be allowed to vote too if you're a kickstarter backer. Do your best to manipulate the developers by adding your vote. ^^

Lovely, though, this forum needs more polls. How exactly are you verifying this anyway ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What does your crystal ball say?

It says "Based on that quote from Feargus it's probably safe to say there will be no focus on romance."

Wait. Ehehe. You actually think you have the ability to "manipulate" or even sway the developers' intentions?

If romances are in, I want them to be dependent on factors unknown to the player, such as:

- Stats (some companions may be attracted by brute force, other by intelligence, etc.)

- Decisions (moral choices, for example)

- Combat feats

- Some other weird fetish companions might

The key is that romances should be triggered spontaneously and something you have some limited degree of control over.

Also, please don't include Bioware-style forced bisexuality. Companions, at least most of them, should have a definite sexual orientation, just like they should be attracted to certain types of personality.

This stupid poll is so one sided and biased. How about these here:

"Are you willing to sacrifice swords as a weapons if it drew significant resources from other combat features?", because I hate swords.

"Are you willing to sacrifice some spells if it drew significant resources from other combat features?", because I hate magic.

"Are you willing to sacrifice NPC animations if it drew significant resources from PC animation?", because I hate animations.

I could go on forever. lol

How much of the resources for BG2 were spent on writing the romances anyway? Probably not even near 0,1%.

Amen!

Addition a romance to the story is not a problem of recourse. It is a problem of depth of the game, sure you can have wonderful over all story, but weather that is a relationship in form of romance or just friendship it WILL be included in the game, I am almost 100% sure of that. Why? because NPC;s are not just mobs that run around with you for killing things, they have their own stories and they bring something of their own to the story. Romance can only add to that not damage it (if it is not a complete fail that is - however that is story writers problem, not developers)

When people are talking about romance, they're talking about pursuing relationships with their companions. That doesn't include friendships with your party and background about them. I'd like to see those too, but I know they will fall by the wayside if there are romances.

What does your crystal ball say?

It says "Based on that quote from Feargus it's probably safe to say there will be no focus on romance."

And why does this make you think that there will not be any romances? He also said they are thinking if they can add a writer that can also write romances. He has also written that romances are something that he enjoys.

Wait. Ehehe. You actually think you have the ability to "manipulate" or even sway the developers' intentions?

No. But you certainly think you already have manipulated the devs. According to what you are writing it is only a matter of time until they confirm that there will be no romances in the game. ^^

No. But you certainly think you already have manipulated the devs. According to what you are writing it is only a matter of time until they confirm that there will be no romances in the game. ^^

No he isn't saying that. Nice try at flipping it off of you. He just thinks they're plan matches up with his opinion. That's not manipulation. He's not trying to create another thread and poll that's more favorable to his opinion with only certain people able to vote like you are.

No he isn't saying that. Nice try at flipping it off of you. He just thinks they're plan matches up with his opinion. That's not manipulation. He's not trying to create another thread and poll that's more favorable to his opinion with only certain people able to vote like you are.

Oh really? Is that what he meant when he wrote this:

Nope. Wrong.

Anyway: If you can'tr afford $25 and back the game, then you won't be able to vote.

It will just be a simple unbiased poll with many choices (unlike this one). If you don't like that, well then stop me. ^^

Edited by dlux

And why does this make you think that there will not be any romances?

The quote a few pages back.

you certainly think you already have manipulated the devs.

I sure don't. Don't really feel I'd need to since this game advertised itself as a return to classic cRPGs not another modern relationship larpfest.

And what about the other quotes that he made? They have not made a decision yet. Period. We will see what happens.

And since when is a Baldur's Gate not a classic cRPG? Is it not a classic in your mind, because it had romances... or what are you trying to say?

I like how you are attempting to paint the opposition as a bunch of whiners that haven't even pledged any money. Cool story.

Bound to happen. Eventually it'll be whiners that only gave for the lowest tier.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I like how you are attempting to paint the opposition as a bunch of whiners that haven't even pledged any money. Cool story.

I want to make an unbiased and very civilized poll on romances, where only backers can vote after the Kickstarter has ended. I do not doubt that any of the romance haters have not pledged and I have also not even written this.

Oh really? Is that what he meant when he wrote this:

Nope. Wrong.

Anyway: If you can'tr afford $25 and back the game' date=' then you won't be able to vote.

It will just be a simple unbiased poll with many choices (unlike this one). If you don't like that, well then stop me. ^^

[/quote']That's not the same as creating a poll that supports your opinion.

He just thinks they won't announce no romances until after the kickstarter is over. That's not him manipulating anyone.

So now you have to have donated at least $25 instead of backed the lower tiers? I guess those early birds who donated $20 are screwed then for donating early.