[Merged] Gods save us another romance thread

For people who are NOT apathetic or opposed to romances in games:  

455 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to sacrifice romances as a feature if it drew significant resources from other story features?

2. 2. Are you willing to sacrifice romances as a feature if it drew significant resources from gameplay design?

3. 3. Would you still want romance options in the game even if your hypothetical favorite NPC did not end up being available?

I see that the same 5 or 6 romance haters are still whining and have still not been able to figure out how to ignore a feature in the game. ^^

I will make an official poll after the kickstarter is finished... and only those with kickstarter badges will be allowed to vote. :D

Who the hell made you official anything ? Heh, had a feeling you'd end up with this, next is "well I donated more than you"

God, no need to get all bitchy. lol ^^

It will be OFFICIAL, because only Kickstarter backers will be allowed to vote - independant of how much they pledged.

• Like 2

:closed:

That'd be need to be setup by the KS owner, I'd imagine, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guys, I know that you're angry at each others' existence, but don't plan to use any confirmation one way or another to go "HAHA I WON YOU LOST **** YOU". I mean, I get why you'd want to do that, but I've seen this happen before and it never ends well.

I mean, I know you'll ignore me completely and still do it, but I wanted to say it anyways.

• Like 3

@Lurky: These whiners are just so annoying.... But yeah, it is all up to Obsidian. I would like to have romances in the game (if they are well written) but I will not demand it. I will accept whatever decision Obsidian makes.

Guys, I know that you're angry at each others' existence, but don't plan to use any confirmation one way or another to go "HAHA I WON YOU LOST **** YOU". I mean, I get why you'd want to do that, but I've seen this happen before and it never ends well.

I mean, I know you'll ignore me completely and still do it, but I wanted to say it anyways.

This.

By doing that, the only one who truly loses is Obsidian.

Do we really want Obsidian to lose?

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

@Lurky: These whiners are just so annoying.... But yeah, it is all up to Obsidian. I would like to have romances in the game (if they are well written) but I will not demand it. I will accept whatever decision Obsidian makes.

Yeah we're whiners because we're discussing how much time and resources it takes to create romances and how they tend to feel tacked on in RPGs and ruin them.

That's why we want to create another thread/poll so we can get a poll that says we're the majority on the forums. Real rational btw.

Yeah we're whiners because we're discussing how much time and resources it takes to create romances and how they tend to feel tacked on in RPGs and ruin them.

For the umpteenth time, every single Obsidian game that was good except, kind of, FO:NV, has had romances. Y'all's claim that romances ruin RPGs is quite frankly baseless nonsense.

@dlux: My remark was going for you too, since you jumped to conclusions so early.

There is no confirmation one way or another yet. It is possible that they won't see themselves comfortable enough with the funding to tackle them, and decide that it is for the best to drop them. I'm optimistic that they'll get enough funding to try it out, but anything is possible yet.

It's very easy now to say "Oh yeah, I'll totally be a good sport when it's announced" when you still think that you're going to get what you want, but being a good sport means accepting loss gracefully too. And that's where most people fail.

This.

Obsidian doesn't need us. It's not like they lose anything from ignoring this discussion.

It's not like the pro-romance crowd has provided any special insight besides, "I need romances or I won't be as immersed in the game."

Edited by Grimlorn

This.

How exactly does Obsidian lose anything ? I don't think they're reliant on the dross in this forum.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For the umpteenth time, every single Obsidian game that was good except, kind of, FO:NV, has had romances. Y'all's claim that romances ruin RPGs is quite frankly baseless nonsense.

You're right ruin is an exaggeration, but those games weren't better for them and they were bad in some of those games. They added nothing and weren't necessary to anyone besides people who can't play RPGs without them and they're the minority. And no I'm not counting Deionarra from PST as a romance. I'm talking about the PC pursuing relationships with his/her companions.

With all the time it takes to write these characters and their limited budget, why would you insist that they add romances into the game? Answer: Entitlement

Edited by Grimlorn
  • Like 1

That's why we want to create another thread/poll so we can get a poll that says we're the majority on the forums. Real rational btw.

Adding any type of feature to the game costs resources - you just think that adding romances is a waste of resources because you do not like them. And this is really the only thread where the the fans (here: haters) stubbornly DEMAND something from Obsidian instead of ONLY making a recommendation. You cannout demand anything from Obsidian, it is all up to them; you and I have to accept whatever decision they make.

Anyway, Feargus has written quite a bit in the Kickstarter forum. He basically says that they are still thinking about adding romances and if they do, then they might hire a writer that can also write romances. I don't have the quotes (and I don't feel like looking for them), but it would be nice if someone posts them here.

Edited by dlux

I see that the same 5 or 6 romance haters are still whining--

How exactly are you confusing "rejoicing" with "whining"?

Why rejoice? Nothing has been confirmed about romances except that Feargus and the team are thinking about it.

Edited by dlux

Adding any type of feature to the game costs resources - you just think that adding romances is a waste of resources because you do not like them. And this is really the only thread where the the fans (here: haters) stubbornly DEMAND something from Obsidian instead of ONLY making a recommendation. You cannout demand anything from Obsidian, it is all up to them; you and I have to accept whatever decision they make.

Nice try, but read my posts. I haven't demanded anything from Obsidian. I want them to do their own thing regardless of what I think. But if no one speaks up against this, then Obsidian might have seen a pro romance thread and thought they had to do it. The pro-romance crowd are the ones insisting that they get romances at the expense of other features and character writing. If that's not crazy and entitled, I don't know what is.

And this is the difference between us. I'm sure that the people who are against romances will still get the game even if they are in there (as long as they aren't like Bioware's), but quite a few of you that are for romance would cancel your pledges today if they announced there would be no romances because you don't actually like RPGs.

Edited by Grimlorn

Good point dlux, dev resources aren't completely fungible. Romances take mainly writer time, a little music and maybe voice acting. There is no impact on art or programming and neligible impact on QA / playtest. I am for in-depth relationships with your party members. That doesn't necessarily mean romance - in PST you couldn't really romance anyone (one kiss from Annah was the closest it got) but getting Dakkon, Grace and Morte to open up about their background really made them much more real and engaging as characters. Conversely, romance can be overdone : while I was fond of Aerie in BG2, having her give birth and then lug the baby around in her inventory in ToB really tore suspension of disbelief.

Why rejoice? Nothing has been confirmed about romances except that Feargus and the team are thinking about it.

Except that Feargus and the team are politely dismissing it as a time and money sink.

EDIT: Goddammit, ninja'd.

You sure do love counting your chicks before they hatch.

They haven't "politely dismissed" anything and I have read everything that Feargus has writen. They are still thinking about it and have not made an official statement. They are even thinking of hiring a writer and we will see where this leads.

You sure do love counting your chicks before they hatch.

They haven't "politely dismissed" anything and I have read everything that Feargus has writen. They are still thinking about it and have not made an official statement. They are even thinking of hiring a writer and we will see where this leads.

You are counting your chicks too. Nothing is confirmed.

You know, just saying. You sure forgot my post quickly.

Yeah, I've seen this before, too. "Oh, we are only suggesting. Yeah, that's the word. We are not forcing you to please us or anything, but we're going to be very happy if you do it, and disappointed if you don't. And we're going to repeat it to you several times. Just in case you were going to forget that there's a target for this or anything. No pressure".

This kind of behavior reeks of emotional blackmail. I'm happy if Obsidian will do it because they want to, but if they do it because they feel pressured to, that's not so good.

Oh well. I'm happy with whatever they decide. Really. I will. There are so many things in this project that I'm looking forward to, and none of them involve romances :)

Edited by Lurky

When I finally get around to recruiting a relentless army of zombies to storm the Houses of Parliament, made up of indefatigable, drooling, single-minded fanatics, I'm going to get a load of CRPG romance fans on board. They are incredible, completely irrepressible. Like knotweed.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Not on either side of the fence re : romance, but entitlement is an ugly word that is almost ad hominem.

Anyone could say anyone's entitled about anything. Insisting that the game has BG styled combat? Entitlement. Insisting that guns not be in the game? Entitlement. Insisting that Linux support be added? Entitlement.

Really, it's such a vague, ugly catchall.

• Like 2

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)