Will there be a transgender option?

As I have been transitioning to a robot lately (I am scheduled to have an advanced targeting system installed later today) I feel that us cyborgs are underrepresented in video games and discriminated agains that is way I ask, nay demand that I am given the option to roll a golem like creature at the very least if not a T-1000.

change.jpg

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Why should this be a non-issue in this process? I don't get it.

Because this is supposed to be a return to the classic IE cRPG days, not a real life emulator. Where do you draw the line?

"I am extremely ADHD so I want Obsidian to include a ritalin meter (come on, George Ziets!) where I'll go into an "interruption mode" where my character won't let anybody finish their sentences when it wears off. I want this because I have a hard time relating to people in a more appropriate format than videogames."

• Like 3

I simply can not see, where such an option would mean an incredible increase of workload for the developers.

I don't really understand how a transgender person with difficulty connecting to a nontransgendered character would find it easier to connect to an asexual race, much less a race that has no sexuality because it's a non-organic construct like a golem.

And I don't understand how people fail to grasp role playing games are games where you're supposed to play(with implemented mechanics) other characters, not yourself.

When asking for these gay/trans/furry/foot fetish/whatever people want to play themselves - you're a tranny irl, why don't you play a lawful neutral/dwarf/cleric-thief.

If you want to play yourself having romances, changing clothes and arranging your house according to feng-shui, all the while making your avatar as close as possible to yourself, what the **** are you doing here? For such needs there is the Sims series.

Sh**t, I've been doing it wrong? I always play as a male character finding it easyer to relate, and I've been having so much fun with my games! I do tend to mix it up a bit when it comes to the morality issues, but I never seem to be able to get the feel for female PCs the same way I do male PCs.

Fu*k. Now I don't know what to do.

Edited by Amused

I think that Obsidian has fooled me. I thought this was a mature game for mature people. I don't see the mature people. I only see "Burn it with fire" whenever someone mentions something that other people disagree with. And many implications that Obsidian cannot handle themselves and need the forum superheroes to save them. :dancing:

Edited by Wintersong
  • Like 1

I simply can not see, where such an option would mean an incredible increase of workload for the developers.

I don't really understand how a transgender person with difficulty connecting to a nontransgendered character would find it easier to connect to an asexual race, much less a race that has no sexuality because it's a non-organic construct like a golem.

And I don't understand how people fail to grasp role playing games are games where you're supposed to play(with implemented mechanics) other characters, not yourself.

When asking for these gay/trans/furry/foot fetish/whatever people want to play themselves - you're a tranny irl, why don't you play a lawful neutral/dwarf/cleric-thief.

If you want to play yourself having romances, changing clothes and arranging your house according to feng-shui, all the while making your avatar as close as possible to yourself, what the **** are you doing here? For such needs there is the Sims series.

Sh**t, I've been doing it wrong? I always play as a male character finding it easyer to relate, and I've been having so much fun with my games! I do tend to mix it up a bit when it comes to the morality issues, but I never seem to be able to get the feel for female PCs the same way I do male PCs.

Go play Sims/Second Life/Elder Scrolls

I think that Obsidian has fooled me. I thought this was a mature game for mature people. I don't see the mature people. I only see "Burn it with fire" whenever someone mentions something that other people disagree with. And many implications that Obsidian cannot handle themselves and need the forum superheroes to save them. :dancing:

Well, you know how immature priviledged white straight males are, don't you?

Edited by working man hole

Because this is supposed to be a return to the classic IE cRPG days, not a real life emulator. Where do you draw the line?

"I am extremely ADHD so I want Obsidian to include a ritalin meter (come on, George Ziets!) where I'll go into an "interruption mode" where my character won't let anybody finish their sentences when it wears off. I want this because I have a hard time relating to people in a more appropriate format than videogames."

If they could support it through the game (think of how the low int dialogue in Arcanum was done, or the madness of the Malkavians in Bloodlines), an ADHD background (or alternatively a race with short attention spans) could actually be kind of fun.

But I'd only want something like that done if it made sense in the setting and was able to be carried through the game (pretty much like any character creation trait or option)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There are several ways to successfully implement a feature like this without alienating other gamers. My first suggestion would be to consider making an Elf like race have no specific gender. If it's left ambiguous, it is much easier for transgender players to identify with these characters.

This is a rather MASSIVE change just for a transgender option. You're asking them to rewrite an entire race to essentially be asexual. This has implications and impacts on it's culture and...well in everything.

Listen, I get it: it's nice to be properly represented. I'm disabled myself and I'm not properly represented in video games either.

Would it be cool if I could make a disabled character in Fallout that, if his right leg got crippled, he didn't need a Doctor's bag to heal it, but rather some scrap electronics to repair a prosthetic limb? Hell yes.

Would it add to character diversity, customization and immersion? Hell yes.

Would it hinder anyone else's experience? Absolutely not.

But is it at the top of the priority list? No it's not, because it's a very VERY small change and to be honest, I can pretend my character has a prosthetic limb as long as he's not wearing shorts.

Will this EVER be at the top of the priority list in a game like this? Not until developers -literally- run out of **** to do. Maybe a game like the Sims would have it someday, but not this.

So look, I'm all for equality, but I also think we should be reasonable. Such a change would literally be a label and nothing but. It would have no impact on gameplay, nor would it change anything. You'd just be clicking a "transgender" button instead of male or female, and even THEN the game is going to ask you male to female or female to male. And what then? Then you end up making a character that essentially looks male or female. Unless you're specifically asking for a gender category that supports women with masculine features and vice versa, in which case, again, I think a good character customization system could allow for this.

It's -literally- just a label with very limited effects on the game. I get it, and you have every right to ask, but the reality is your request is nothing but a dream. It'll never happen.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Yes, yes it is. And different people propose different ways to enhance and better those experiences. For some, this is one of them. For others it is all about setting.

At the end of the day it's up to obsidian to make the best game possible. The have to choose what to implement and what not to implement. Until then I would say most issues are of potential intest, from combat to story, morality, political issues and, yes, gender issues (maybe as a part of the political and/or morality discussion).

It's not like anyone is going to make obsidian do anything they don't want to do. I just don't see why the things that are important to you should be up for discussion while the things that are important to others should be met with... well, non-discussion. A debate about the relevance of the topic itself. If you don't care for the topic, discuss something else! If you do care, let's say you're totally against what's being proposed, tell people why you are against it.

At the end of the day few will be pissed off if this is not implemented. Hell, I'm pretty much against it (see my first post). It doesn't make it a non-issue any more than guns vs no guns is a non-issue.

Edited by Amused

I may be confusing my long term posters here, but as I recall Jaesun, the "Burn it with Fire" suggester, isn't that.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

To OP:

I'd like to have *** with ten women at the same time. If you don't include this option in Project Eternity, then you are offending my human rights. If you disagree, then you don't respect anybody with different opinion. Does this sound familiar? :lol:

Edited by Goran

In my first playthrough, I normally chose a male character aswell. I like, that I can somehow pretend that I am the character in the game and try to make decessions I would make.

This is, for example, a reason why I normally like rpgs, where I can creat my own character better than those where I am limited to a default character.

English is not my first language, so please forgive me any mistakes!

As an openly gay male man I find these topics ridiculous. And since these forums are open to the public, we continue to get these inane troll posts. I would much rather see these forums be used to discuss and make Project Eternity the best game as possible.

• Like 2

Thanks, but no thanks - I think I'll stick to what I like.

I may be confusing my long term posters here, but as I recall Jaesun, the "Burn it with Fire" suggester, isn't that.

But how could it be that a gay male would not be supportive of the cause? Unpossible!

Then why would you try to turn that what you already like into something completely different

BAM! Now THAT is intelligent reasoning!

English is not my first language, so please forgive me any mistakes!

Then why would you try to turn that what you already like into something completely different

What are you talking about?

As an openly gay male man I find these topics ridiculous. And since these forums are open to the public, we continue to get these inane troll posts. I would much rather see these forums be used to discuss and make Project Eternity the best game as possible.

To be fair, though, some people see romances as something that can add extra play quality to the game (ie make it the best game possible). Some don't. And then people polarize and start making extreme statements that don't make any sense. And then the thread gets shut down by a moderator like the last 4-5 romance threads I've seen.

I think these kind of discussions are inevitable - at the very least until more concrete information about the game exists - though.

EDIT - I'm more bugged by lengthy quote pyramids here myself :)

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1