Narrated sequences instead of cutscenes (let's use our imagination again).

All narration/cutscene/cinematics longer than a few seconds should be skippable after you've seen them once, imo. I can't imagine it's that difficult for the game to keep track if they've played once already and then add in the "skip" button, or whatever.

It could be reasonably the best option. It would be nice to have a menu to replay every scene however.

It's a pretty basic function, so I'm sure it'll be included. Yeah, having a menu with all the sequences you've seen so far is a must.

I think it would be very nice to have a narrated sequence for each major area (and why not for each one a sequence according to the part of the day: morning, afternoon, night... and why not if you're returning to a area that you have already discovered, but where something really important has happened during the time you were wandering)

But I am afraid that voice acting would be very present, and it could be "too much" for the game. At least, narrated sequences without voice acting would be a good compromise, I think.

I think it would be very nice to have a narrated sequence for each major area (and why not for each one a sequence according to the part of the day: morning, afternoon, night... and why not if you're returning to a area that you have already discovered, but where something really important has happened during the time you were wandering)

But I am afraid that voice acting would be very present, and it could be "too much" for the game. At least, narrated sequences without voice acting would be a good compromise, I think.

That'd depend on just how often those sequences would be presented to the player; I think it'd be fine if they'd be used just for major areas.

A similar technique could be used to describe major characters (companions, the villain etc.) as well.

Ultimately, however : Balance in All Things. I agree that having too many of those could potentially grow tiresome.

Edited by Karranthain

When I said that it would be nice to have different sequences for a single area depending of some circumstances, I was talking about major areas like cities, or districts since we'll have two big cities :)

And about voice acting, we have to think about translations, it could take some more time and need more money... But I definitely would be happy to have some kind of things!

So, concept art, music and audio SFX, with text, would be enough to enjoy these moments. Voice acting would be a nice gift if OE implement it :p

Am I the only person missing narrated sequences such as these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6hPHtzrfCQ

They were used to emulate the Pen and Paper experience, with the narrator substituting the Gamemaster.

The aim was to let our imagination work, and I must say it worked rather brilliantly. This technique was used very effectively by Obsidian in MotB (much better VA certainly enhanced the feeling) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-huTFB57yEc

Most importantly, such method is fairly cheap and quick. Hence why it was used in the older titles, but I believe it's a viable artistic choice.

On that note, bring back Rodger Bumpass back!

I was undecided but your video sold me.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Am I the only person missing narrated sequences such as these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6hPHtzrfCQ

They were used to emulate the Pen and Paper experience, with the narrator substituting the Gamemaster.

The aim was to let our imagination work, and I must say it worked rather brilliantly. This technique was used very effectively by Obsidian in MotB (much better VA certainly enhanced the feeling) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-huTFB57yEc

Most importantly, such method is fairly cheap and quick. Hence why it was used in the older titles, but I believe it's a viable artistic choice.

On that note, bring back Rodger Bumpass back!

I was undecided but your video sold me.

Glad it did :)

• 4 months later...

I'm really excited about the Darklands inspired textual menus (CYOA style) :

pe-jumpOverBridge.success.1200.jpg

It's really nice to see a bigger emphasis on text and imagination (probably the most powerful graphical engine there is) again.

I'd love to see similar sequences for locations (e.g. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60371-narrated-sequences-instead-of-cutscenes-lets-use-our-imagination-again/page-4?do=findComment&comment=1199801) ?

• Like 1