Narrated sequences instead of cutscenes (let's use our imagination again).

I think it’s safe to say that the majority of old school gamers would love the return of narration. I’m of the same opinion though I’d be lying if I said I don’t like me some FMV. It comes down to balance I suppose. For example,

would not have the same impact on me if was narrated. He might have been an absolute **** but towards the end, I really felt sorry for the heartless bastard.

Speaking of which, can we please have David Warner as one of the voices? I heard the guys doing the BG2 revamp were trying to get him on board.

(Gods, BG2…. that game was soooooooo good!)

Edited by Shadeheart
  • Like 1

On one hand I liked it back in soem of these games that used it well.

On the other hand time has passed, we have moved on and many rpgs have moved to using cinematics. In modern games when they use them it's usually for a budget reason.

Honestly I prefer cinematics over still frames/narrations and things.

If they do go the narration point of view they really really need to get a good voice actor for it. Someone like the guy who voices Bastion, or Richard Ridings (the guy who was the voice in Dungeon Keeper, who's also a great actor as well).

Expanding on the idea of small narrated sequences for every (major) area, I prepared this small example (excuse my poor writing skills, but it's just for the sake of a presentation) :

You enter the ruins of Eír Glanfath, once a sprawling capital of an advanced civilization. Sharp wind howls in the remnants of great fortresses litterning the misty landscape - their size a testament of ambition, and perhaps hubris of its past inhabitants. The feeling of dread is almost palpable. You and your companions instincitvely reach for your weapons.

30castle2.jpg

Each sequence would feature concept art of the area and just a few sentences describing its general feel, while

plays in the background. It could also be used as a vehicle for sneaking in some lore bits.

What do you think?

YES!

This is something I also want to see.

And Obsidian is free to expand from "the few sentences" to something meatier.

While this thread explicitly says narration, I have to say I'm more than happy with just being presented with good music, nice artwork, and an interesting textual description of the scene.

No need to voice over everything.

Also, how about if some of the books you read also "spoil the player" with either sketches or concept art for the subject discussed in it?

For items I think sketches are the best choice (like in BG), but for some of the characters or locations I believe they should be treated with some concept art.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for concept art.

Edited by hideo kuze

Hey guys, just imagine - party ventures towards some important point in the story and all of a sudden Narrator starts to speak like in this video:

Of course this should not be for the WHOLE game like in Bastion but this approach will provide a fresh type of narrated sequence - letting you hear it all without taking control from you

Edited by Romiras

Been there. Seen that. Got the scars.

I would like the narration with artwork, maybe a slideshow of artwork behind the narration. You can tell more story this way and it won't take up much space. The cutscenes tend to take up a significant amount of space and development time that could have been used for the game.

Alternatively you could have a machanima style, creating the cut scene using the 3d engine itself and some simple scripting. Though with an overhead view style of game it might not be that effective.

Sawyer recalls a particular element of 1992 MicroProse RPG Darklands, whereby interactions were only subtly illustrated via text against loose watercolor illustrations. The images were enough to suggest key elements, but it was the text that carried the imagery.

Older games with technical limitations had to get very creative about how to immerse players and capture their imaginations, says Sawyer, since they didn't have the option to be literal -- and that's something Obsidian wants to keep in mind through the old-school visuals and interface of Project Eternity.

source : http://gamasutra.com...hp#.UGV_qa6GXQ0

Sawyer recalls a particular element of 1992 MicroProse RPG Darklands, whereby interactions were only subtly illustrated via text against loose watercolor illustrations. The images were enough to suggest key elements, but it was the text that carried the imagery.

Older games with technical limitations had to get very creative about how to immerse players and capture their imaginations, says Sawyer, since they didn't have the option to be literal -- and that's something Obsidian wants to keep in mind through the old-school visuals and interface of Project Eternity.

source : http://gamasutra.com...hp#.UGV_qa6GXQ0

This bodes well.

Now we only need to hope for the artwork to be pleasing ;)

I have to be honest, I tried really hard to listen to Baldurs Gate's narrations, I really did. In the end I always end up clicking past them, there just wasn't enough there to hold my attention. I love narrations when done with animations and not just a single screen you're forced to stare at. This is probably due to the fact that I hate books and never read them, there's just not enough there to hold my attention. So I agree completely with this statement:

Professional narration with excellent concept art works just fine for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4doBkbcmuSg

Last thing I want is full voice acting and CGI scenes, Project Eternity is meant to herald back to the classics and the above video is an example of what that is.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

You all are very silly. Everybody knows you can't tell a good story without detailed cinematics and lots of jump cuts. I mean, just look at Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, how would his staff writer J.R.R. Rowling have been able to write the movie tie-in novels without those great visuals that he provided for him? ...