Narrated sequences instead of cutscenes (let's use our imagination again).

Narration of MotB was pure awesome. Though those absolutely beautiful picture intros of say IWD II were just pure awesome. <3

I've the same opinion. The style of narration in Mask of the Betrayer, and in Planescape: Torment also, is extremely involving.

I remember when, at the beggining of Mask of the Betrayer, you have three choices: stand up, turn around your head, or try to remember what happened to you. The possibilities to make many different choices, even for the simpliest things, gives a marvellous feeling of the game, especially for an RPG.

I agree absolutely.

Cutscenes are fine and great, but Narrated sequences cost significantly less and work just as well.

Not to say I'm against the 'idea' of cutscenes for this game, but they should be in strict moderation.

maybe just a beginning and ending cutscene? similar to placescape torment and baldur's gate beginning and ending cutscenes. (if budget allows.)

Edited by Naril

Narrated sequences with pictures leave enough to the imagination and are much cheaper than cutscenes. I really like the "dark tower comic trailer", molarBear posted. If it would be made that way, I would be fine!

English is not my first language, so please forgive me any mistakes!

While interruptions to player action should be rare IMO, I like narrated interludes, as well, especially if accompanied by beautiful art. The Witcher comes to mind here. The art was so beautiful (I'm talking the original Witcher game) that it almost made loading screens and narrative sequences a pleasure rather than something to get through.

The balance of narrations with pictures, and potential cutscenes.. Things get increasingly harder if they're supposed to have the player character or companions involved. At least, if you can change the appearance of them and what they're wearing..

So you pretty much have to default to showing backgrounds and everyone else rather then include the party in them..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The balance of narrations with pictures, and potential cutscenes.. Things get increasingly harder if they're supposed to have the player character or companions involved. At least, if you can change the appearance of them and what they're wearing..

So you pretty much have to default to showing backgrounds and everyone else rather then include the party in them..

I think we can expect a few cutscenes, but probably of the in-game engine variety.

Edited by Karranthain

Expanding on the idea of small narrated sequences for every (major) area, I prepared this small example (excuse my poor writing skills, but it's just for the sake of a presentation) :

You enter the ruins of Eír Glanfath, once a sprawling capital of an advanced civilization. Sharp wind howls in the remnants of great fortresses litterning the misty landscape - their size a testament of ambition, and perhaps hubris of its past inhabitants. The feeling of dread is almost palpable. You and your companions instincitvely reach for your weapons.

30castle2.jpg

Each sequence would feature concept art of the area and just a few sentences describing its general feel, while

plays in the background. It could also be used as a vehicle for sneaking in some lore bits.

What do you think?

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 4

For me it's pretty simple: Narrated sequences over cutscenes IF there is a good narrator. Some good music in the background... and it is like I'm in a state of trance. The BG video in the first post of this thread. It's pretty close to perfect. I would love to see more of this.

But if the voice-actor is not as good as the writing is... he/she can really destroy the atmosphere and in that case I'd prefer a cutscene.

Anyway, dreams, stuff that happens in your mind should always be narrated.. that's at least how I feel. A cutscene could come in handy if something is about to be narrated that is happening in a completely different location for example.

Oh and @Karranthain: Yes, please. I'd absolutely love it. I don't need introductory cinematics for each new region... but introductory narrated sequences... I like the idea of having them in Project Eternity.

Edited by Kabraxis

Companion Cube of the Obsidian Order

Need a companion? Or a cube? Join the Order now!

For me it's pretty simple: Narrated sequences over cutscenes IF there is a good narrator. Some good music in the background... and it is like I'm in a state of trance. The BG video in the first post of this thread. It's pretty close to perfect. I would love to see more of this.

But if the voice-actor is not as good as the writing is... he/she can really destroy the atmosphere and in that case I'd prefer a cutscene.

Anyway, dreams, stuff that happens in your mind should always be narrated.. that's at least how I feel. A cutscene could come in handy if something is about to be narrated that is happening in a completely different location for example.

Oh and @Karranthain: Yes, please. I'd absolutely love it. I don't need introductory cinematics for each new region... but introductory narrated sequences... I like the idea of having them in Project Eternity.

I'd love it if they got Rodger Bumpass (Kelemvor and the Narrator in MotB) - he probably isn't that expensive too.

I loved the narration in Mask of the Betrayer, but I'd prefer to see it coupled with stylized art/stills rather than in-game graphics, especially since they're going with an isometric perspective this time around.

Yes, I am on board with this idea entirely, although I didn't love the Baldur's Gate narrator. It'd be cool if, at some point, they reveal the identity of the narrator in some manner, too.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

I loved the narration in Mask of the Betrayer, but I'd prefer to see it coupled with stylized art/stills rather than in-game graphics, especially since they're going with an isometric perspective this time around.

Yes, I am on board with this idea entirely, although I didn't love the Baldur's Gate narrator. It'd be cool if, at some point, they reveal the identity of the narrator in some manner, too.

Without giving away spoilers, that kind of "revealing the identity of the narrator" thing was done in Mask of the Betrayer and, if I recall correctly by what I read (haven't had the chance to play it yet :( ) in Icewind Dale.