Narrated sequences instead of cutscenes (let's use our imagination again).

Yes for narrated sequences. Cutscenes are good at beginning and end like in BG, but story is best told by.. telling it. :) And I also agree that it is important to pick good voice to do it, and not just good in general but one that fits the overall mood of the story. BG has great voice for unknown, explorative mood that story line had since player was seeking his/hers origins. Total Annihilation (and soon to be made Planetary Annihilation, that I backed ;) ) has a great deep voice for dooming mood.

Yes, let's please bring back narrative and imagination. Cut scenes can be useful in key places (I found it extremely satisfying to see Irenicus' magic fail and him get tackled into the pits by demons when I first played Baldur's Gate 2), but there's nothing quite like a good story teller who can make your mind race with images all of its own. I mean, aren't those self-made mental pictures and interpretations what fantasy is all about?

I enjoy narration and illustration a great deal and loved what Justin Sweet did for us in the IWD and IWD2 intros. I am also fond of the Darklands style of special interactions where even one loose, static illustration with text helps pull the viewer/reader into a more "imaginary" mode of thought.

Indeed, I loved them and even now I can remember it in my head as I write. But it was the music, too, that pulled it together.

How often do you get a medium more appealing, and evocative but cheaper than the current industry standard? It's almost a no-brainer.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hello, first post here.

I'm all about the narration + simple imagery approach.

I always thought the old Miyazaki film Nausicaa had an intro sequence with a cool iconic style that invokes a strong sense of mystery and adventure.

http://video.google....790173215648057 (skip to 2:00)

vlcsnap-3966042.png

vlcsnap-77833871.png

It also contrasts well against the in-game art because when you cut away from simple drawing / etchings, it makes in-game art feel lush and detailed. Also the patchwork will echo the stained glass / cobble stone look that BG2 employed.

A quick google search for "ancient nordic art" turned up stuff like this. It's close to the IWD approach, but reads "flatter" and extra embellishments give it the feel of a story book.

Vidar_by_Collingwood.jpg

viking-art.jpg

ngbbs4a6dcd35cdc6e.jpg

All that being said, a full blown painting by Justin Sweet or someone of his caliber would be awesome too! Just my 2cents.

Narration is cool, but I'd like to see it with stills like in DS3 or the FNV ending. It doesn't have to be used a lot, entering very important places or before/after very important main story scenarios. Oh, and for the endings, ofcourse.

Yeah, Fallout/Arcanum ending slides would be marvelous.

You should turn this topic into a poll. It's an important matter. And that way the guys at Obsidian won't have to be reading posts to know how we feel.

I think narrated sequences are better because they save money and time, usually relate more closely to old board/book games, and cutscenes are usually not as good as the game itself; sometimes they just don't blend. Maybe we can have them between chapters, but some artworks to go along the narration are ok too. IWD did this simply and effectively. I enjoyed cutscenes on Black Isle games, but I prefer having the money used elsewhere.

• Like 1

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

I will like to listen and read to narration very much. Another thing I would like is that the writing style was similar to the one in Torment, where in the text boxes you could read not only dialogue, but short descriptions about the appearence of the character you are talking with, his or her gestures, what is he doing as he speaks with you, that kind of thing: I think it really adds to the fleshing of the NPC's.

Narration + drawn/painted stylized art is the way to go.

Thief 1+2 are two more games that did this well. (a bit different since it's 1st person narration but same basic idea):

That kind of thing sucks me in to the experience about 100x more than a custscene does.

Edited by NoxNoctum
  • Like 2

EDIT: Apparently i'm blind. -_- ^

I enjoy narration and illustration a great deal and loved what Justin Sweet did for us in the IWD and IWD2 intros. I am also fond of the Darklands style of special interactions where even one loose, static illustration with text helps pull the viewer/reader into a more "imaginary" mode of thought.

Have you ever played King of Dragon Pass? Illustration+Text make up a big portion of the game. It's also brilliant. :)

On cutscenes: What about something like the moving picture style in the first 2 Thief games?

Edited by Gazoinks

OK I've never played an IE game, but have been a big fan of Obsidians more recent games (and bought PST in the GOG sale which I plan to play through shortly).

But anyway, as a more recent example I REALLY liked the narrated cutscenes with painted backgrounds in the Witcher 1 (not so much the semi-animated comic booky ones in The Witcher 2, though those weren't bad). So if you guys are able to do a couple of painted backgrounds with narration over them instead of full blown cutscenes, in my opinion that would be amazing!

These are the prisoners from the disturbance at Waukeen's Promenade

What is known?

Naught but their names. The Mage is Jon Irenicus. The girl is Imoen.

I did nothing. He did it all - I had ...

Silence child allow the fool to make his judgement

Why was this man not gagged, did he not slay four of you?

We dared not approach.

Uhm, regardless. In the end he came willingly

What should be done with them sir?

They are deviants. Let them rot in spellhold

:D

• Like 1

Put me down as another who'd like narration & stylish art stills / sketches for sequences. It's very much a lost art, and I don't need whizzy game engine style animation. (And sometimes game engine animation fails because it doesn't take into account how I look for what I'm driving / riding)

Maybe if stills were added to it. Just having your character stand there would be a detriment to the story being told. A few nice stills added in to give a general visual vibe to what is being said would imo be the least i'd expect from such a sequence.

Yeah, just use something atmospheric as a backdrop :

size500_justinsweet_kullbattle_500.jpg

Narration can be well used but I didn't like it's use in that dream sequence from Baldur's Gate. They should have cut some of the text as superfluous and given the reader of the text a few breaks while reading it. He sounded rushed in places and at other times a bit unsure of what he was reading.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."