Narrated sequences instead of cutscenes (let's use our imagination again).

Am I the only person missing narrated sequences such as these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6hPHtzrfCQ

They were used to emulate the Pen and Paper experience, with the narrator substituting the Gamemaster.

The aim was to let our imagination work, and I must say it worked rather brilliantly. This technique was used very effectively by Obsidian in MotB (much better VA certainly enhanced the feeling) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-huTFB57yEc

Most importantly, such method is fairly cheap and quick. Hence why it was used in the older titles, but I believe it's a viable artistic choice.

On that note, bring back Rodger Bumpass back!

• Like 35

I loved the narration in Mask of the Betrayer, but I'd prefer to see it coupled with stylized art/stills rather than in-game graphics, especially since they're going with an isometric perspective this time around.

Yeah, agreed. I'd be fine even with only one still used, especially if it was very detailed. Could be a series of sketches too.

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 1

I loved the narration in Mask of the Betrayer, but I'd prefer to see it coupled with stylized art/stills rather than in-game graphics, especially since they're going with an isometric perspective this time around.

Yeah, agreed. I'd be fine even with only one still used, especially if it was very detailed. Could be a series of sketches too.

Again, I really like DSIII's stills. Looks cool and they seem cheap and fast enough to produce.

I definitely want to see more narrated sequences.

That said, I still generally object to sequences that take control away from the player. Narration is good for introductions, describing a region, just general setting of the table. Or even dramatic dream sequences, as Baldur's Gate did.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That said, I still generally object to sequences that take control away from the player. Narration is good for introductions, describing a region, just general setting of the table. Or even dramatic dream sequences, as Baldur's Gate did.

It'd very nice if every region you visit would get a small narrated sequence, describing the general feel of the area. Some between chapters would be nice as well.

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 6

I would love narrated sequences so much. It lets you give as much oomph and/or gravitas as you want, which due to my preferences being wonky, new 'cinematic' cutscenes never got right. And it'd be cheaper, too.

Still need to think of the times, though. Obviously you can't do much in terms of animation with isometric, but if the game is to be successful it should also be something that is not too alienating to younger players. So I'm guessing, narrated sequences in moderation?

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

It'd very nice if every region you visit would get a small narrated sequence, describing the general feel of the area. Some between chapters would be nice as well.

BG2, I'm looking at you. (And I like what I see. Very much.)

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

My all time favorite introduction to a game was the beginning of Icewind Dale. Most of it was a series of images to tell as story, and superb narration, coupled with great music. To this day it was the most memorable cutscene or movie in a game for me and I have seen a lot of these in-game cut scenes.

I would really rather see a series of beautiful still drawings and/or paintings coupled with superb narration to fill in these gaps. It's an artistic choice that I really appreciate and relies more on the player's imagination to fill in the gaps. I think that is one of the reasons I still remember it so well and like it so much.

The best narration I EVER saw in the computer game was in "Bastion" (from http://supergiantgames.com/) and believe me I saw A LOT of computer games in my life. Simply nothing compares to the way that Stranger comments your story in Bastion.

I haven't been THAT immersed in the game for years!

Edited by Romiras
  • Like 6

Been there. Seen that. Got the scars.

I enjoy narration and illustration a great deal and loved what Justin Sweet did for us in the IWD and IWD2 intros. I am also fond of the Darklands style of special interactions where even one loose, static illustration with text helps pull the viewer/reader into a more "imaginary" mode of thought.

• Like 35

I enjoy narration and illustration a great deal and loved what Justin Sweet did for us in the IWD and IWD2 intros. I am also fond of the Darklands style of special interactions where even one loose, static illustration with text helps pull the viewer/reader into a more "imaginary" mode of thought.

Please, please play Bastion. I'm not asking for anything else, just give it a try! (if you haven't already)

Been there. Seen that. Got the scars.

I've always been pretty sure that someone inside Obsidian was fond of Darklands. And having the Microprose masterpiece perpetually installed in my hard drive, I totally agree ;)...

Edited by Baudolino05
  • Like 1

Narration just doesn't do it for me. Especially Bastion style narration. I don't know why it's so amazing to listen to someone talk about how you're smashing crates, as funny as it is. I guess I'd be fine with narrated sequences like Baldur's Gate though.

I really enjoy narration and how it went along with some sort of "fiabesque" vibe in IWD, for example (but I also enjoy audio narration, along with the written one),

On the other hand, IMO we've reached a tech level in games that also allows for a "show, don't tell" approach...But what about making use of both in a tasteful and pleasing way? That would be nice :)

Edited by Lucas

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV