Update #4: Digital Tiers, DRM, and Add-Ons Update

I see there is mention of multiple resolutions and multi-monitor sizes for the wallpaper but nothing about aspect ratios. Can we get 16:10 sizes? Practically everything is 16:9 these days, but I have a couple 16:10 monitors that are a pain to find proper sized images for.

Yeah, I switch between my monitor and my tv for gaming these days. It mostly depends on whether my wife is playing or not. I looked over all the stuff last night and a lot of it doesn't necessarily appeal to me, such as the patch, but some of it struck me as actually ranging from not so bad to awesome. I don't want to insult the team, I respect the devs and I admire their talent and the only reason I bought in at the tier I did was out of confidence in their ability, but I don't really know that an autographed box will be that exciting. On the other hand, the cloth map and the ring tones and the wallpapers are nice. I know they'd put out the wallpaper anyhow, and probably will well before the game ships, but I'm still looking forward to it. I hope they do full blown themes with music, wall-paper, and color schemes. I guess some stuff will seem more cool to some folks than others. I know a lot of people won't care about the wallpaper but I'm stoked about it, even if it is small and would be free anyway. I don't really put patches on my clothing, but you never know. I might be able to use it. My neice might like it or something.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Not promising anything yet, but we'll look into how to do that best. We wanted to use Steam to give folks achievements and cloud saves (we're not interested in the DRM features, just its streaming and gamer stuff) but it may be possible for us to support DRM free on the disc, but still give fans of Steam access to those things.

Again not promising that, but that's how I'd ideally like to see it handled and we'll see what we can do!

-TG

I don't quite understand the fixation with providing Steam based features on a boxed copy of the game, when getting the boxed copy supplies you with a digital steam version anyway. I think many of us who pay more for a physical copy of the game do so because we want a lightweight installation of the game that is not tied to internet connections, future server availability, running additional background processes, etc. Please, we just want the game, so can we move away from this forced Steam-based coupling on single-player games delivered via physical media? It's the reason I never bought Risen 2. Thanks for your consideration.

Because I am unable to use Amazon payments, I am unable to pledge on Kickstarter. One of the big reasons why I want to pledge is because Obsidian has promised DRM free to kickstarters. Since I do not plan to be a kickstarter, but instead will pledge through PayPal, can a staff please confirm DRM will be available to all backers (who pledged $25 and above if I remember right) regardless of payment mode? Also I am a little concerned that PayPal will not be available until after the Kickstarter campaign ends. If that happens, will the people who pledge using PayPal still get the same reward tiers as the kickstarters?

I wonder why GOG.com haven't put anything on their homepage yet. Doing so would surely boost the number of backers.

I was wondering that as well, especially after the Twitter exchange between GOG and Obsidian. I thought I'd seen a comment from GOG that they were going to do so, but I can't find it now.

And late to the party, but thank you, Obsidian! I always prefer to use GOG over Steam, for a variety of reasons, so it's great to see you partnered with them for distribution!

Unpinned to clear the clutter in the first page.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

DRM Free Options

You asked and we are delivering. In conjunction with GOG, we are going to offer a DRM free version of the game for our Kickstarter Backers. When the campaign ends, you will be able to choose whether you would like a key from GOG or Steam. For our Mac friends, we are still working on a DRM free option, since GOG does not currently support the Mac. Oh, and the great guys at GOG are having a special right now on all of the great Infinity Engine games, so check that out as well.

CD Projekt will hold a conference on 18th November and one of its main topics will be the future of gog.com. People from CD Projekt said that it should be very interesting for mac users. I guess we can expect drm free version of Project Eternity for mac on gog.com. :D

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome, BUT:

what about the boxed version?

Am I to understand the disc will be Steam-infested?

Not promising anything yet, but we'll look into how to do that best. We wanted to use Steam to give folks achievements and cloud saves (we're not interested in the DRM features, just its streaming and gamer stuff) but it may be possible for us to support DRM free on the disc, but still give fans of Steam access to those things.

Again not promising that, but that's how I'd ideally like to see it handled and we'll see what we can do!

-TG

There's no reason why you can't just officialy state how it's going to be. As it was pointed out by others in this thread, the disc-based version will come with the downloadable version, which people could use on Steam. Why then won't you simply come out and state that the disc version will be DRM free? That you yet haven't (afaik) makes me hesitant to trust you. This customer will not invest in your product unless you issue a confirmation that the physical copy of this game will be DRM free before the kickstarter runs out.

So this is probably a stupid question and has probably been answered once already, I've looked for an answer to my question all over the boards and couldn't find anything though knowing myself it was probably right in front of me and I just didn't see it, but how do you specify you want a digital copy verses the beta key access since they're both $25? Is this something they'll ask before the game is shipped out or do we have to do something else to specify which we want?

Edited by yukimoda

• 4 months later...

Did the backer site go live yet?  I vaguely remember reading that it was supposed to be finished awhile ago.  I don't mind waiting if it's still being worked on of course :)  I just don't want to miss out on selecting my add-on if it's already live.  Or is there another way I'm supposed to choose my add-on?  Thanks!

• Like 1