Update #4: Digital Tiers, DRM, and Add-Ons Update

I have a few games on Steam. I have firends who have legal copies of games but dislike Steam so much that they still get pirated copies justifying this because they have a legal copy. DRM does not stop piracy. That is a myth. So why argue about it. I am glad that Obsidian is providing a DRM free copy.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Don't know if anyone else might have pointed this out, but it may be a good idea to perhaps update the FAQ on the main page with explanations on what each tier offers in order to account for additional things like beta access. That way, there hopefully won't be any confusion.

Why in the FAQ? They have an own subsection on the Kickstarter Project Eternity main page called "Rewards" in which every tier is listed with all its benefits in form of some nice graphics. They already updated this graphical list with the new digital tiers. Check it out. ;)

Ah, thank you. Last I had checked the list hadn't been updated. I must admit to being a bit confused that some of the rewards in the lower tiers don't go to the higher ones. Like why does only the $140 tier get the beta key, but none of the above ones do? Doesn't bother me as much since that is the tier I went with, but now I'm not sure if I'll go up to $250 like I was possibly planning to.

Don't know if anyone else might have pointed this out, but it may be a good idea to perhaps update the FAQ on the main page with explanations on what each tier offers in order to account for additional things like beta access. That way, there hopefully won't be any confusion.

Why in the FAQ? They have an own subsection on the Kickstarter Project Eternity main page called "Rewards" in which every tier is listed with all its benefits in form of some nice graphics. They already updated this graphical list with the new digital tiers. Check it out. ;)

Ah, thank you. Last I had checked the list hadn't been updated. I must admit to being a bit confused that some of the rewards in the lower tiers don't go to the higher ones. Like why does only the $140 tier get the beta key, but none of the above ones do? Doesn't bother me as much since that is the tier I went with, but now I'm not sure if I'll go up to $250 like I was possibly planning to.

I think they need to iron out the visualization of the tiers a bit. The key really should be on every tier above 140, and honestly I can't think of many good reasons that the "digital fun pack" can't be in higher tiers as well. I mean, I understand that they're international, digital replacements for the physical things in the 100/140 tier, but I don't see why someone who owns the physical map shouldn't get a digital version to use as a wallpaper or whatever.

I think they need to iron out the visualization of the tiers a bit. The key really should be on every tier above 140, and honestly I can't think of many good reasons that the "digital fun pack" can't be in higher tiers as well. I mean, I understand that they're international, digital replacements for the physical things in the 100/140 tier, but I don't see why someone who owns the physical map shouldn't get a digital version to use as a wallpaper or whatever.

Or the digital guide in the digital only tier for the higher ones. Well, we have plenty of time to iron out details on these I suppose.

Per the discussion about disc DRM now that we know digital will include a DRM-free option, all the box tiers include a digital download, so I don't see why you can't just download the GoG DRM-free version and burn to disc as your backup, and look at the box tiers really for the bonus swag.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The reward tiers are now all updated. :) Beta access for everyone who pledges $140 or more. Digital Funpack for everyone who pledges $50 or more.

Keep in mind that they cannot update the reward tiers on the right side of the page, they can only add new ones. So for the updated reward tiers have a look at the graphics on the main page.

I personally would like a poster as well. Whatever it would look like, I'm sure it would look fantastic, especially when framed.

I think it would be a great idea to post the TOP NEWS (like Mac support, Add-Ons) on top of the front page of Kickstarter in addition to Latest News because I think there will be a lot of news in the end and it could be important for new backers.

Companion Cube of the Obsidian Order

Need a companion? Or a cube? Join the Order now!

Dang it, now I'm not allowed to edit my post anymore, haha.

Okay, here it is:

Oh, and please launch support for more languages. French, German, Spanish...? I think my English is fine but still... complex RPGs are sometimes kinda hard to play and understand without killing the pace of the game due to using a dictionary. :D

Companion Cube of the Obsidian Order

Need a companion? Or a cube? Join the Order now!

1.8 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!

The options grow for your main character and the roster of your motley crew expands with the addition of a new companion from the selected class.

This will be achieved by noon GMT I suspect.

$2 million dollars+ by the weekend.

Edit: The day of the DRM / GOG stretch goal announcement resulted in a spike of just under $20,000.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

That Collector's Edition tier is looking better and better by the day. Maybe I'll hold out a bit longer until they include an autographed picture of Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer dressed as characters from Project Eternity. ;)

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

This will be achieved by noon GMT I suspect.

$2 million dollars+ by the weekend.

Edit: The day of the DRM / GOG stretch goal announcement resulted in a spike of just under $20,000.

Looks like its just for one day. Now the donation rate is at an all new low today, which is to be expected as most of us have already pledge DRM or not.

Now we have to hope for some other announcement that that will spike the interest in this project again.

Looks like its just for one day. Now the donation rate is at an all new low today, which is to be expected as most of us have already pledge DRM or not. Now we have to hope for some other announcement that that will spike the interest in this project again.

yesterday morning, before the awesomesauceupdate 4, the pledge rate was at a speed of around 1k per hour, which is the usual way after 5 days. now it's still around 2,5k per hour, above the average. if they can keep this income steady this will make another million+ the next 22 days, still 4 days left for the usual high peaks at the end.

Edited by Semper

Enough about DRM, Steam, beta access and all that - tell me more about "pretty swank Obsidian-wear"! :p

I want a cycling cap - Josh being the avid cyclist: make it happen!

A cycling jersey would be really cool. You could also use it for workout or other sports.... :)

35167v4.jpg

Double post from the KS comments but it may be worthwhile for OBS to consider a $200 tier; I can't be the only of the ~1500 $140 pledgers who would increase their pledge but baulk at an additional $100.

PS: Long time fan of IE games and BI/OBS titles and excited by PE enough to back and sign up to forums. Very much looking forward to this title.

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

Per the discussion about disc DRM now that we know digital will include a DRM-free option, all the box tiers include a digital download, so I don't see why you can't just download the GoG DRM-free version and burn to disc as your backup, and look at the box tiers really for the bonus swag.

You mean the retail disc should be a steam key? Why? Since that tier also includes a digital version, wouldn't it be better if the people who want steam use the digital version for their steam key? Retail versions of steam games are such hollow products. They're not the media they're printed on, it's a key you register on an online account with a useless disc attached.

I'm curious how you managed to get "retail discs should have Steam" from my post. (Really?)

My post is to people who don't want any DRM and are worried about the box having DRM; I'm saying there's a very easy way around that so it doesn't matter if the disc has DRM or not--get GoG, burn to disc, still DRM-free. On the other hand, if you intended to give the disc or the digital download away to someone else, I can see how that would still be a problem.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I'm looking forward to the ring tones. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to put them on my phone. :Cant's huge grin icon:

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I see there is mention of multiple resolutions and multi-monitor sizes for the wallpaper but nothing about aspect ratios. Can we get 16:10 sizes? Practically everything is 16:9 these days, but I have a couple 16:10 monitors that are a pain to find proper sized images for.

Edited by Deraldin