Update #4: Digital Tiers, DRM, and Add-Ons Update

That's awesome, BUT:

what about the boxed version?

Am I to understand the disc will be Steam-infested?

Perhaps there will be a way to redeem the key through GoG instead? I know nothing about such technology!

Not promising anything yet, but we'll look into how to do that best. We wanted to use Steam to give folks achievements and cloud saves (we're not interested in the DRM features, just its streaming and gamer stuff) but it may be possible for us to support DRM free on the disc, but still give fans of Steam access to those things.

Again not promising that, but that's how I'd ideally like to see it handled and we'll see what we can do!

-TG

Since the boxed copy is in addition to a digital copy of the game, I don't see why the disc version should be the Steam version.

So you can have the other copy on GOG?

It says you can choose.

So I think you can only choose one. Get a Steam key or GOG key I guess.

And I think that's fair since we're paying for 1 copy only.

^-- This is correct... Most likely you will be told to fill out information on what version you want (Gog / steam etc), T-shirt design's etc etc.

I might have missed this, but I notice the new digital tiers get a strategy guide. Is this included with the deluxe box? I still need my cloth map and signed box, but if it isn't included I might have to persuade my other half to up her pledge from $20 (even if it means I have to pay for it!).

She likes first person rpgs like Skyrim... :geek:

Still playing through Planescape Torment...

so, what about us who will pay with pay pal? will we get an DRM free version too? you make it sound as if only those paying via kickstarter would get that option

i sure hope thats only a wrong impression i've got ;)

Well they dont have paypal yet but most likely you will have the same choices as people that use kickstarter.

so, what about us who will pay with pay pal? will we get an DRM free version too? you make it sound as if only those paying via kickstarter would get that option

i sure hope thats only a wrong impression i've got ;)

Yes, it will be all the same, just different way to pay them the money. Unless Obsidian decided to do something different but I doubt. No reason for them to do something else.

Hell yeah!! Honestly nice job, this spark pledges. I'm surprised of how many gamers WANTED DRM-free game/GoG. It's also a great idea of featuring dev's talk about the project in the Kickstart page as well. Only really needs translations (as a next stretch goal?) and this should steadily get a lot of pledges in. Also, update the right column of 140 dollar pledges to feature the beta access as well.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but does pledgers above 140 dollars get beta access as well? Can those that have beta access do beta testing for Obsidian? ' : ^ B

And yeah, whoever apologized in this topic previously said some wise words. Hold on tight to your dreams... i'm imagining you guys having like a super secret drawboard of Excelent Systems and other cool ideas ready for this (though even if you don't, don't stress, just do your best ofc and hold on to vision). Blargh, sorry for the obvious.

Edited by IEfan

I might have missed this, but I notice the new digital tiers get a strategy guide. Is this included with the deluxe box? I still need my cloth map and signed box, but if it isn't included I might have to persuade my other half to up her pledge from $20 (even if it means I have to pay for it!).

She likes first person rpgs like Skyrim... :geek:

My guess is yes. It is said "Previous reward tier + ..." in the description of the reward. The highest rewards don't mention it right now but I think this will be updated.

I actually like Steam and am surprised to see so many who dislike it here; it doesn't actually require you to be online to play your games (hint: there's an option called "offline mode"). That said, I am pleased to hear Obsidian will be releasing it on GOG since I'm generally opposed to exclusivity and figure more diversity in options is always good.

And of course, GOG is a great service itself (picked up PS:T and TW2 from it myself) and just as worthy of attention as Steam.

EDIT: Corrected a typo where I wrote "Steam" instead of "GOG."

Edited by Nivenus

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

"Vivis sperandum: Where there is life, there is hope."

what does DRM free actually mean in this context?

In gog case, it means you download the installer. You can store it wherever you like, and when you install it doesn't ask for activation codes or cd-keys or

anything. And in 20 year when gog and steam are both bankrupt, and their servers are down and you're on your 15th computer, you can still use the same installer to install the game and it still doesn't ask for any codes or online activation.

That said, I'd really, really like the boxed version to be DRM free as well.

I actually like Steam and am surprised to see so many who dislike it here; it doesn't actually require you to be online to play your games (hint: there's an option called "offline mode"). That said, I am pleased to hear Obsidian will be releasing it on Steam since I'm generally opposed to exclusivity and figure more diversity in options is always good.

And of course, GOG is a great service itself (picked up PS:T and TW2 from it myself) and just as worthy of attention as Steam.

In my case... severe system instability due to malware DRM has made me nerd rage and burn all of my games that use it... except my STEAM games. I try to avoid Steam when I can because I just don't want any DRM.

Edited by Gurkog
Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

I actually like Steam and am surprised to see so many who dislike it here; it doesn't actually require you to be online to play your games

It requires you, however, to activate the game before playing and having Steam running whenever you're playing. Which is what is meant with DRM.

When Steam goes bankrupt or offline, you cannot install and play any game.

I actually like Steam and am surprised to see so many who dislike it here; it doesn't actually require you to be online to play your games

It requires you, however, to activate the game before playing and having Steam running whenever you're playing. Which is what is meant with DRM.

Valve have always maintained that Steam will be patched should the service ever close down for whatever reason.

The reality is, AAA games will always require DRM. I take it that you don't play games like Assassin's Creed or Battlefield 3 or, well you get the idea. Fine if you don't but for the rest of us, DRM is fine for us perhaps even a small price to pay, so there's really no point trying to argue whats bad and what isn't.

6 million peopled bought Diablo 3 although Diablo 3 require specific server to be up.

Its just a matter of different choice.

Edited by Hornet85

*reads new update*

GoG? Beta access? More swank loot? Strategy guide? More pledge tiers to help inspire potential pledges with a wider range to choose from?

*Joy-puking all over the room*

I'm a little unclear however ... is the GoG drm-free only for backers or a general availability?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I actually like Steam and am surprised to see so many who dislike it here...

Kickstarter backers as a group seem to be very anti-DRM in all it's forms, moreso than most other groups and they categorize Steam in that group where others might make an exception for it because of the benefits it provides.

Valve's said (repeatedly) that they'll release the games from the client if they go under.

Which doesn't seem terribly likely at the moment.

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

"Vivis sperandum: Where there is life, there is hope."