AvP

Child of Flame

It's apparently out now. I really, really hope it's good, I hear that the last pred, and the last human (plot character) end up conciously working together, which seems rather unusual considering the Preds usually HUNT the humans, but considering the Aliens are the Preds worst enemies, and that the Preds seem to consider honor important above all else (that's why they hunt, rather like the Mandalorians really); if a human managed to save their ass, I could see them sparing them in the end. Anyway, I really, really hope it's good. A little disappointed as it sounds like they skimped and didn't show a predalien, even though they hinted that the last pred was implanted, which is a pretty good bet that it's a lead in for a sequel. Ah well, so long as it's a good movie, I'll be happy. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing it. The film's got all sorts of pulp science/fantasy hallmarks all over it - an Aztec-style temple, buried in the ice of Antartica, where space aliens have secretly met and fought for centuries, discovered by a team of explorers. Great stuff.

That said, I do have doubts about the film, particularly the "Whoever wins, we lose" tag line, which doesn't seem to match up with some of the heroics I've seen in the trailers.

I do want to see it, though.

newlogo.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing it. The film's got all sorts of pulp science/fantasy hallmarks all over it - an Aztec-style temple, buried in the ice of Antartica, where space aliens have secretly met and fought for centuries, discovered by a team of explorers.

This is what I don't understand. Why is there an Aztec temple in Anarctica? Couldn't they have done this in Central America? I don't get it.

I believe it's only Aztec-like. There's also the potential inference that the Aztecs had a relationship with the Predators and so built their temples in that image. Aztecs had some very bloody rites, after all. It's just a use of the theory that aliens helped or influenced ancient earth civilisations.

newlogo.gif

I believe it's only Aztec-like.  There's also the potential inference that the Aztecs had a relationship with the Predators and so built their temples in that image. Aztecs had some very bloody rites, after all. It's just a use of the theory that aliens helped or influenced ancient earth civilisations.

Supposedly, from what I've read about the movie, is once upon a time, Antarctica was a green paradise, and the Aztecs, Egyptians, and Cambodians, all of which built pyramid like temples/tombs in real life, all had a common link, and worshipped the preds as gods way back when. They helped them build this temple, and in return the preds were somewhat nice to them. The temple isn't really a temple, but a prison/breeding center for the preds to farm the Aliens. (This is taken more or less directly out of the AvP2 game. B) )

The reason it has the tag line, 'Whoever wins, we lose.' Is because in all modern times, the preds have hunted the oomans, and the aliens have used them as incubators. But seeing as how the preds value honor above all else (as stated earlier, similar to the Mandalorians of SW), I could actually see the preds sparing the oomans if they helped them fend off the aliens....which is what it sounds like happened.

As I said, I'm rather disappointed that the predalien didn't make an appearance, but it sounds like they intend to make a sequel with one, since the main Pred character got impregnated. <shrugs>

I really wouldn't take much stock in the reviews, as this isn't really the type of movie that gets good reviews. They slaugtered Freddy vs. Jason, but most of the fans from what I hear loved it. B)

Heh, I wrote an insanely long review of it, don't want to write another one.

I'm glad I saw it on the big screen, I look forward to seeing what the next one's like. It dragged on a LOT in the beginning and they used too many tired cliches.

And they desperately needed MORE FIGHT SCENES.

I want Quentin Tarantino to direct the next one.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

Guest Surlent

Storywise it can't be that good since it made in Hollywood anyway.

You can't possibly expect this kind of film be the next Matrix anyway, but it's an scifi action title. I'd just like to know if it excels in what it is meant to be.

So tell me few things of the film.

1. Does any humans survive at the end of the film ?

2. Is the story protagonist a human or a predator ?

3. Does the movie get to the human's personal stuff indepth for example long boring conversations about their third divorce or something other as lame ?

4. Does it have gore ? Do the humans get tortured ?

5. Does the movie protect the rights of Aliens and Predator species ?

6. How long does the movie last and how much of that is action ?

7. Does the movie get to personal feelings and deep emotions of Predators ?

(I hope so, that's good way to add indepth to this kind of movie)

8. How are Aliens ? Do they look cute ? Do they move fast like in Alien3 or drop from ceiling like in Aliens ?

9. Are there any new Alien or Predator species/variations ?

10. Is the movie great as purely scifi action title ?

Yes.

Human, bit of predator once you get further into it.

3. Does the movie get to the human's personal stuff indepth for example long boring conversations about their third divorce or something other as lame ?

Father's death, terminal illness, yup yup yup.

Yes, and yes, but nearly enough for the franchise, thank you PG-13.

Yes and no, it does a decent job, but it's way too limited in time for them to really do justice to either.

87 minutes long, roughly a grand total of about 30 minutes of action.

No. Not a bit of it. Mainly it covers their Code.

8. How are Aliens ? Do they look cute ? Do they move fast like in Alien3 or drop from ceiling like in Aliens ?

The Aliens could be scarier if they weren't making the movie for the ickle kiddykins. The potential is there, but they do fail to fully realize it.

New for the movies, yes. New for the book/graphic novels franchise, no. And nothing gets done with them.

It's okay. Not fantastic. I'll still be buying it for the collection, though.

New for the movies, yes. New for the book/graphic novels franchise, no. And nothing gets done with them.

There are? What's left if they didn't show a predalien? We've had Runners, Drones, Queens (No Praetorians, but they're basically a queen minus the egg sack). Plus the quasi human queen with the human reproductive cycle plus the eggs, which gave birth to the human/alien baby in Alien Resurrection. I guess that there could have been new variations of the preds....but they're all basically the same, minus different weapon preferences, and body types. Kinda like oomans. I really, really wanted to see a predalien. It's really the only species that hasn't been done on the silver screen. Sounds like they did a setup for an appearance of one if they make a sequel though. Here's hoping. :unsure:

Well, they do sorta show the Predalien.

*SPOILERS*

At the end some other predators come to earth to take the wounded predator(the main predator of the movie) back and heal him. The predators enter their ship and lay the wounded one on a table of some kind, check him over and then walk out of the room. After a few seconds a chestburster pops out of the predator. Then the movie ends.

Well, they do sorta show the Predalien.

*SPOILERS*

At the end some other predators come to earth to take the wounded predator(the main predator of the movie) back and heal him.  The predators enter their ship and lay the wounded one on a table of some kind, check him over and then walk out of the room.  After a few seconds a chestburster pops out of the predator.  Then the movie ends.

Okay, yeah, I just didn't want to spoil it, but y'all are way too educated in this for me to prevaricate.

Yes, but I don't want to see a puny weakling chestburster soon to be predalien....I wanna see a fully fledged armed to the teeth pred alien come to maturity. It is easily the most dominant species in AvP2, I mean, I was able to take out three preds all gunning for me within seconds. One of them shot five f*cking spears that were all a DIRECT HIT and it didn't even phase me. I just hacked them to pieces, and dined on their flesh to replenish my health. The predalien f*cking rocks. Huge pounce distance, increased strength, small arms resistance, AND it can wallwalk. B) But the chestburster on the other hand... :lol:

Yes, but I don't want to see a puny weakling chestburster soon to be predalien....I wanna see a fully fledged armed to the teeth pred alien come to maturity. It is easily the most dominant species in AvP2, I mean, I was able to take out three preds all gunning for me within seconds. One of them shot five f*cking spears that were all a DIRECT HIT and it didn't even phase me. I just hacked them to pieces, and dined on their flesh to replenish my health. The predalien f*cking rocks. Huge pounce distance, increased strength, small arms resistance, AND it can wallwalk.  But the chestburster on the other hand... 

It's the sequel-opener, so the next movie (assuming they'll make one despite all the awful reviews) will be all about it.

"I wanna see a fully fledged armed to the teeth pred alien come to maturity. It is easily the most dominant species in AvP2, I mean, I was able to take out three preds all gunning for me within seconds. One of them shot five f*cking spears that were all a DIRECT HIT and it didn't even phase me. I just hacked them to pieces, and dined on their flesh to replenish my health."

Ah, but can it take a shot from the DISC?

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

-yeah

-one of each

-no, just passing references

-no, not at all, this was the biggest disappointment for me

-dunno what you mean by this

-not sure

-sort of, they just show that theyre honorable etc but if you eamn predator love affairs then no.

-just ok, nothing great

-i dont know

-its ok, but theres no gore and it wasnt creepy enough.