The importance of sound (not music)

Something that I think is highly important in games, but which is seldom discussed, is the use of sound besides the musical soundtrack. Especially in an isometric title, a good and thick "soundscape" is absolutely key to selling the atmosphere of the areas. In fact, I'd say that the combination of isometric with a strong soundscape is very potent in tickling your imagination.

Hence, you believed that something like Athkatla or Sigil were real, busy cities. Or that the Smoldering Corpse Tavern was an actual tavern, with some strange and shady characters in it.

I'm not too worried about this as I think Obsidian's later offerings has been very good in this regard. New Vegas in particular was fantastic, Alpha Protocol and Dungeon Siege 3 were also good sound-wise.

So Obsidian, don't skimp on this please!

• Like 5

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

...Especially when one recalls Planescape: Torment, where all those eerie, weird and sometimes quirky sounds made for a great atmosphere. I want to hear half-discernable dialogues of the townsfolk, mixed with the hammerings coming from the forge and the chanting of nearby monks...yummy.

By the way, I may be the only person who would prefer Mark Morgan or Inon Zur to compose the soundtrack rather than Jeremy Soule.:)

• Like 1

Repeating myself: chanting for spells please.

Hell, please NO! Only in children's books spells are really chanted. In most stories/fantasy novels with a little bit more "complex" magical background there is no certain chant or riddle for spells because magic is more a question of mind (and soul) and not a question of words which could be learned from books. So please give us some "mature" and complex magic!

35167v4.jpg

Hell, please NO! Only in children's books spells are really chanted.

The reason why spells are almost always chanted is because magic itself has its roots in priesthood, including very ancient ones stretching thousands of years back into time - it was praying to forces (Gods), thus for them to hear and understand, you have to talk with them. People called on forces beyond material realm using speech.

And that was "mature" and "complex", at least more than just throwing fire arrows for 50 damage.

I'm not too worried about this as I think Obsidian's later offerings has been very good in this regard. New Vegas in particular was fantastic, Alpha Protocol and Dungeon Siege 3 were also good sound-wise.

I hope I don't sound too overconfident when I say that, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed here. :) Those of us in the audio department are relentless in our pursuit of creating living breathing worlds through sound. We rarely settle for second best. PE is one of those dream projects that just begs for a rich, lush, and immersive soundscape. We can't wait to dig in...

Ambiance sounds are a huge role in what brings a game world to life.

I couldn't agree with this statement more, Syraxis!

• Like 2

Something that I think is highly important in games, but which is seldom discussed, is the use of sound besides the musical soundtrack. Especially in an isometric title, a good and thick "soundscape" is absolutely key to selling the atmosphere of the areas. In fact, I'd say that the combination of isometric with a strong soundscape is very potent in tickling your imagination.

Hence, you believed that something like Athkatla or Sigil were real, busy cities. Or that the Smoldering Corpse Tavern was an actual tavern, with some strange and shady characters in it.

I totally agree about New Vegas and PS:T, both games had excellent audio.

I hope I don't sound too overconfident when I say that, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed here. :) Those of us in the audio department are relentless in our pursuit of creating living breathing worlds through sound. We rarely settle for second best. PE is one of those dream projects that just begs for a rich, lush, and immersive soundscape. We can't wait to dig in...

Before New Vegas I hadn't played any of Obsidian's games, I remember being worried that the sound design wouldn't match Fallout 3...but you guys hit it out of the park, I don't have any concerns for Project Eternity :)

• Like 1

Sounds are also important for more than ambiance. They play an important role in making combat feel immersive, which is especially important in games with limited animation/graphics. For example, Final Fantasy Tactics wasn't exactly a visual powerhouse, but the sound design for the battles was so amazing that it really brought combat to life. The impact sounds for some of the attacks would practically make me cringe. I could totally feel my knight's sword slashing through some dude's ribs.

Excellent to hear, can't wait to hear what you guys come up with in this area!

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Sound is extremely important, be it for atmospheric purposes or for combat. A powerful spell is nothing without the sweet sound of space and time cracking beneath the oscillations of a small star forming in your palms.