Cant (lingo, jargon...)

Cant  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want an in-game cant?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

eh, you want it berk (like ps:t)?

well, in ps:t's case they took it directly from planescape's creators but i believe they can also do it for project eternity. shouldnt be that tedious or hard to create one...and i ****ing loved the cant in ps:t. adhered to the role playing aspect a lot.

Edited by molarBear
  • Like 2

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

Voted no. Too expensive to do a good one or may end up as destroying the game if done badly. The risk is too big and the gain is too small..

hmmm...good point

—the dustman's response

I voted don't care. The world will be a diverse one, some groups isolated but all having a common language. Different factions would have their own slang. As far as I am concerned it is up to the devs. Can it be done easily,with little cost? There is simply no way that everyone can every thing they want. It is the game play that is important. Frills are fun and can add to the game but let's let the devs get the basic down.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Why would fantasy slang be expensive?

Because as I understand the meaning should be crystal clear so people would not need a dictionary with game manual and should fit the setting really well. I have never played a game where it was memorable to me. Berk was made as an insult, but can you really be insulted if you don't understand what it means?

I think it will be implemented, judging by Sawyer's background and what he said about different cultures and languages in PE. Also, "chillax". Me, I definitely want it, because it adds to the immersion.

Edited by Lysen

I'd venture to say that introducing some slang or specialized terminology wouldn't be a bad thing at all and need not be a complete chant (I'm pretty sure PS:T had the chant, not cant). The only thing slang/terminology would affect is localization, something I favor for a larger international market... so it's down to translation cost.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I'd venture to say that introducing some slang or specialized terminology wouldn't be a bad thing at all and need not be a complete chant (I'm pretty sure PS:T had the chant, not cant). The only thing slang/terminology would affect is localization, something I favor for a larger international market... so it's down to translation cost.

I don't think cant would require much jink, even with translation, cutter. Translation to other languages and what not would take up a lot more jink.

• Like 3

It was called cant.

Was it? I really need to get it running on my 64 Win7... A great excuse to get back into the game. "I'm doing research."

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Slang etc. is awesome, but I think Planescape's may have been a bit overdone. It worked there because you could eventually pick up everything and the cant was basically taken from an outside source, but for the Eternity universe I think any sort of slang needs to stem naturally from the game world to be meaningful. In other words, do it if it makes sense, not just "because Planescape did it."

Edited by sea
  • Like 1

Berk, jinx, cutter, dead-book... I love these words

However, the cant permeated society and was ubiquitous in any stage and setting of the game. If the devs have the love, time and inclination to do it well, I'd definitely like to see a proper lingo for PE. Nevertheless, there's no shortcut with language. Anything else than full commitment will feel awkward.

I would definitely prefer that the game not use a made up dialect or try to sound medieval by throwing in select elements of Early Modern English (e.g. archaic pronouns like thou and ye). I want the world to be one I feel I could live in. I know I can't, but it should trick me by feeling in some way familiar. If I enter this world and am bombarded with mixture of American English and something else, it would make the world feel distinctly foreign and make me acutely aware that I am not a part of it. As my character is from this world, the language spoken should seem familiar.

i think obsidian can pull of a cant (slang, lingo, jargon...whatever you call it). the cost should be trivial, i think. as for the localization, sorry non-english speakers...i dont care :p also by localization, i believe that the text (literature) of the game already loses its "magic". so, learn english and dont get a double blow :p

майната ти империалистически дисидент!

—an enraged localized version gamer

Edited by molarBear

—the dustman's response

Linguistic idiosyncrasies can generate a tremendous feeling of difference in a character or culture and I believe it has a lot of value when used for that purpose.

Would you do them in house or hire linguists? Would it cause problems to implement different versions of word for different regions or would it be one word for a game world, I mean editing wise (I have no idea about it, would be good if you could explain)? How hard would it be to modify those words as your game world is still being "invented" and I think much can change depending on the scope, like the races, lore, factions, classes and etc.?

Edited by l3loodangel

Voted no. Too expensive to do a good one or may end up as destroying the game if done badly. The risk is too big and the gain is too small..

I dunno about expensive, these guys have good imaginations and real life lingo is everywhere, I can't disagree that ****ty lingo could ruin a game though...or any fiction for that matter.

i think obsidian can pull of a cant (slang, lingo, jargon...whatever you call it). the cost should be trivial, i think. as for the localization, sorry non-english speakers...i dont care :p also by localization, i believe that the text (literature) of the game already loses its "magic". so, learn english and dont get a double blow :p

майната ти империалистически дисидент!

—an enraged localized version gamer

Well, if I ever create an international hit video game, english is not on the list.

So you lucky that that won't be happening. :p

I hope to see it in the game. Different regions using different dialects and slangs. It should also be applied to races. Humans near the sea don't speak like humans living in the mountains, etc. Their class in soceity should also be a factor. Nobles speak more "elegantly", while lower and middle class sitizens use more slang words. Maybe even religion can have an influence too. I'm all for making different regions feel different, not only from a visual design, but also from language, social behaviour, etc.