Project Eternity Composer: In-house or External

Music for Project Eternity   

638 members have voted

1. 1. Who should compose the music for Project Eternity?

• Justin Bell (In-house kickstarter video composer)
    • Mark Morgan
    • Jeremy Soule
    • Other external Composer
    • Whomever Obsidian chooses is fine

Did you see what Spitfire just released Justin Bell.

also all the string libs that have come out!  Wow couldn't believe Cinesamples also did a string lib and Orchestra Tools has new string lib coming as well.

No limits anymore.

Look forward to whatever you guys decide on!

So thinking about getting darksouls, but steam tells me it's best to play it with a xbox controller, which I don't have. Is this true?

I played it with keyboard and mouse and thought the contols were fine. The only problem is that the game assumes that you are playing with an x-box controller and gives all the info mapped for that control scheme. For example, it will tell you to hit X + back to dodge (or something like that), but it means whatever key on the keyboard corresponds to X on the controller, not the X key on the keyboard. This means it takes a bit more trial and error to figure out the controls (or you could look them up online).

• Like 2

Hi Justin

I enjoy you posts of this forum and every "Hints" about music. But i must ask something...

Do you plan makeing some "music" update, for example Justin Bell talk about music. It whoud be very awsome to hear you speaking about your work in eternity (insead of only reading) mayby some example of what you created/done so far ?

It whoud be awsome !!

Yes, please Justin! A music update with perhaps a small sample of a new piece would be amazing!

Hehehe.  How about a tasteful blend of both?

You'll need both. It just depends on the imagery the gameplay and environment art evocates. The game itself probably has an overall tone that speaks to you anyway. It will be interesting to hear what you went for to represent the different environments.

I think the Eternity score will end up being very good, since this is your first score and you'll be looking to make your mark. You've also probably had a lot of time to think about it since the Kickstarter.

Edited by Sensuki

A music update would be s-s-s-s-sick-ick-ick

A few questions:

With you as an in-house composer, do you think we'll see a higher total number of songs for the game? Compared to if it would have been out-sourced, that is.

Will the be encounter-specific music?

What's your musical take on the different cultures of Eternity? (i.e. "dyrwood = bombastic, lots of strings and choir vocals")

Let me reiterate a very important point : we absolutely need a large selection of combat music - the lack of variety is usually the biggest reason behind people muting game soundtracks and using their own.

Ideally, each larger area would have its own combat theme - as was the case in Mask of the Betrayer.

Also, Justin, you mentioned before that you were toying with an idea that the soundtrack would have live instruments (classical guitar, cello etc.) in it. Is that still the case? If so, which instruments are under your consideration?

And since I've mentioned combat themes...here's my all-time favourite:

:blush:

Overall, I think the music for Arcanum and Planescape: Torment were the scores that stuck with me the most. The melancholy and despondence of the Arcanum soundtrack was masterfully done and created a setting more powerful than any visuals or graphics could. The momuentous otherworldy quality to the Planescape: Torment soundtrack really lent well to the bizarre landscape and themes, and served to further alienate me while pushing me to delve deeper. Oh! Let's not forget Grim Fandango--possibly the best video game soundtrack ever created. The rich visuals and superb writing are to be credited, but it's the exquisite soundtrack to Grim Fandago which give it life.

That is why those soundtracks stuck with me so much, because they painted a very specific picture, rather than just attempt to overwhelm me with power. There are so many good examples though. The Emerald Isle song of Might and Magic VII conveys powerful tone of magic, whimsy, and intrigue. Another piece that I definately feel is underappreciated is the Druid Grove theme from Baldur's Gate 2. Mystery, melancholy, severity, wonder--all in less than 60 seconds.

While I'm sure this had to do with technological limitations, I believe that the concise nature of these tracks is very important. Most of them are around a minute to and minute and a half. They are crafted for a scene, and that scene only. I'd rather have a very iconic and rich piece seemlessly loop every 60 seconds than be pushed and pulled through the high and lows of an opus that could fit any number of games.

One of the best soundtracks I've heard is Dark Soul's final boss theme, also known as Gwyn - The lord of cinder's theme. Throughout Dark Souls you overcome incredibly powerful foes occasionally picking up the back story to it's broken world. Walking into the kiln of the first flame at the end of a long and arduous journey, you expect the worst. I easily overcame its guardians, the remains of Gwyns vanguard against the dark. Then i stepped through the fog, expecting the most difficult boss in the game and instead saw a decrepit old man lunging at me, a melancholic piano the backdrop to a very one sided fight. I felt actual pity for this character, this god who could not stand against the approaching darkness and was left a husk in its wake. This is also why i love this song. Its so melancholic and so atypical to what final boss themes are usually like. Because its not a boss theme, its Gwyn's requiem.

Edited by Gyges
  • Like 1

Oh yeah definitely.  One of the most memorable final boss battles ever and it's because the music is like this.  Not the typical Sepheroth choirs screaming with huge taikos stuff you typically hear.  This is exactly what I was talking about in this post a million years ago:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60342-project-eternity-composer-in-house-or-external/page-6?do=findComment&comment=1202767

• Like 1

Hehehe.  How about a tasteful blend of both?

Deal. You are hereby tasked with producing the most epicspheric music known to mankind. u_u

(That was way better than "atmosphepic." :) )

That talk of the style of Gwyn's theme reminds me of Zulf's theme in Bastion. Especially if you opt to forego your weapon to carry him out of the fray instead of leaving him for dead. Really, most of the music in Bastion was VERY good at conveying the mood of the atmosphere, as well as the events of the story.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

So thinking about getting darksouls, but steam tells me it's best to play it with a xbox controller, which I don't have. Is this true?

True. I've tried playing it with mouse and keyboard and found that the game is totally unplayable this way.

• Like 1

http://youtu.be/pS32GlvalTY

still giving me the chills :o

Just hearing the soundtrack makes me wanna play it again. all night long. for the rest of my life.

I watched Pillars of Eternity teaser video. Lets just say I was not impressed with the music. At all.

I hate to say it, but Obsidian should really think about contacting some professional musicians to write the music for PoE.

, they did a great job. It is some of the best - if not the best - music I have ever heard in a video game.

I don't want to hurt any feelings, but this had to be said.

Edited by Helm

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

I watched Pillars of Eternity teaser video. Lets just say I was not impressed with the music. At all.

I hate to say it, but Obsidian should really think about contacting some professional musicians to write the music for PoE.

, they did a great job. It is some of the best - if not the best - music I have ever heard in a video game.

I don't want to hurt any feelings, but this had to be said.

To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the trailer music at first, either, but I think it's starting to grow on me. I think the awkward (pseudo?) language is what threw me off. Having listened to it again more closely I feel that the sound quality in the trailer isn't very good (at least compared to the BG2 OST posted by Co0n).

However, I don't think the comment on professionalism is warranted. Justin Bell is a professional musician since it's his job to compose music for PE regardless of one's subjective enjoyment of his work. Don't get me wrong, though, I would also love PE's music to be on a level with BG2's soundtrack, so I hope that Justin knocks it out of the park and I'm rooting for him.

• Like 1

I don't know. I really like the music. Not quite as good as BGII or Icewind Dale, but to be honest, those are among my favourite soundtracks of all time, so I have trouble seeing anything top those.

I am however thoroughly pleased with Bell's work and really looking forward to hearing more.

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

I can't edit my previous post anymore, but I wanted to clarify that my previous post is regarding the new teaser trailer. I really, really liked the music in the Kickstarter video and I'm starting to like the music in the new teaser video, as well. It's just the 'r' sounds (?) in the vocals that I'm not digging, I think.

In general, I like where Justin is going with the music.

However, I don't think the comment on professionalism is warranted. Justin Bell is a professional musician since it's his job to compose music for PE regardless of one's subjective enjoyment of his work.

Sorry, I meant a "professional musician" with more talent than Justin Bell. Favorably someone with a degree in music and composition and not in sound design.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.