Project Eternity Composer: In-house or External

Music for Project Eternity   

638 members have voted

1. 1. Who should compose the music for Project Eternity?

• Justin Bell (In-house kickstarter video composer)
    • Mark Morgan
    • Jeremy Soule
    • Other external Composer
    • Whomever Obsidian chooses is fine

I love the soundtrack for Morrowind.  It's my number one favorite game score, of all time.  Hugely influential on me as a composer...  

Hi Justin !

I also liked Morrowind (not only from music side) ... What are your favorite soundtrack fro Morrowind ? Will PE music be in some way inspired by Morrowind ?

What other game soundtracks do you like ? And last can we assume that in PE soundtrack will be some "vocals" or Sining parts ?

Edited by Ulquiorra

Hi Justin !  I also liked Morrowind (not only from music side) ... What are your favorite soundtrack fro Morrowind ? Will PE music be in some way inspired by Morrowind ?  What other game soundtracks do you like ? And last can we assume that in PE soundtrack will be some "vocals" or Sining parts ?

Hmmm...  You put me on the spot there!  Embarrassed to say I don't really know to be honest, I don't keep track! :)

Here are some recent ones that caught my attention as well as some older ones:  Dark/Demon Souls, Bastion, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metal Gear Solid 3, Journey, Fallout 3, Portal 2, Skyrim, Knights of the Old Republic I, Limbo (yes it had a soundtrack), Final Fantasy III (SNES),  Super Metroid....  

Lots of game music nowadays is good, really well done by incredibly talented composers, but... not very memorable IMO.  I don't mean to sound disrespectful by that and I don't claim to have heard the music for every game ever, but out of all the games I've played, few have really stood out TO ME as having exceptional music.  

It's all a matter of taste though isn't it?

Edited by Justin Bell
  • Like 3

If you haven't ever played Chrono Trigger (SNES), that has some awesomely brilliant music. There's also a collection of orchestral-style remixes of the whole game's music called the Chrono Symphonic (I think it can be found at ocremix.org).

Like I said, if you haven't heard it, and you're curious, or ever want some additional game music inspiration, definitely check it out, ^_^

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

If you haven't ever played Chrono Trigger (SNES), that has some awesomely brilliant music. There's also a collection of orchestral-style remixes of the whole game's music called the Chrono Symphonic (I think it can be found at ocremix.org).

Like I said, if you haven't heard it, and you're curious, or ever want some additional game music inspiration, definitely check it out, ^_^

Ah yeah, Chrono Trigger...  Thumbs up!  Chrono Cross was such a disappointment, to me at least.

Ah yeah, Chrono Trigger...  Thumbs up!  Chrono Cross was such a disappointment, to me at least.

Indeedibly so, :). I remember playing it at a friend's house when it came out, and thinking "THIS IS A SEQUEL TO CHRONO TRIGGER" quite excitedly. That excitement was rapidly replaced with a bucket full of "Meh..."

But yeah. Always loved the Chrono Trigger soundtrack. They did an awful lot with pretty limited sound tools.

Anywho, totally looking forward to your work! Especially after that demo, ^_^

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Aw, come on! Chrono Cross was pretty awesome! As a sequel to Chrono Trigger, it maybe wasn't the best (okay, it was pretty frickin' awful at being a sequel to Chrono Trigger), but it was a damn fine game in its own right. Combat system was wicked cool, there were tons of little story branches and side characters, there were a couple of very solid plot twists... If you go back and play it now, putting aside your expectations, I bet you'll find a lot to love there. I had the good fortune to play it before I played CT, and while CT is obviously the superior game, I think y'all are selling Cross short.

Also, the opening theme was one of the five or six best pieces of music ever in an RPG, and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

LISTEN:

There are a bunch of other really solid tracks on the CC soundtrack, but that's the one that singlehandedly justifies its existence.

While I'm at it, I might as well provide more recommended listening that I'm fairly certain nobody's mentioned yet.

It's weird, given that they're unrepentant grindfests, but the Monster Hunter games have incredible soundtracks, particularly Monster Hunter Tri:

"Village On The Sea, Moga"

There are also some damn fine tracks on the Dark Souls soundtrack:

"Firelink Shrine"

Also Bastion, obviously:

It's worth noting also that Dark Souls has long stretches of time where you only hear sounds, which makes the music that much more memorable. "Firelink Shrine" in particular is notable simply because the titular shrine is your home base for much of the early game, and you know it, because the only time the Firelink Shrine theme (which is just about the only somg you hear in the first few hours of the game) plays is when you're nearing Firelink Shrine. The moment you hear the theme begin, you're like, "I'm home again!" That's a really powerful feeling, and one only achieved by not constantly bombarding the player with music.

One thing I don't like about the IE games (and endless other RPGs, especially Western ones) is that the (lovely) music plays on an endless loop with no variation, and much of it has a clear endpoint. It becomes kind of oppressive at a certain point, as if someone inside your computer has left their CD player on repeat. Any music will get irritating if it repeats often enough. In PE, I'd like to see more care put into when and where music cues are triggered. There are many things games take from films that I'd rather they didn't, but one area in which films are a good thing for games to model themselves after is in their use of music. Apologies for the crap syntax, but you see what I mean, hopefully.

• Like 2

Morrowind's soundtrack song was repeated indefinitely while playing the game, eventually I just couldn't hear it anymore.

I mean, I can still hum it in my nightmares.

Aside from good music, you need variety, and you need for the tone to fit the setting.

Justin posted something before about how he took inspiration from Bastion's concept of designing the game around the music (I paraphrase)

and I think that's an excellent way to do it. I am very curious to see what it'll be.

Btw, Games you should play for the music working nicely in conjunction with the setting. (because EVERYONE and their DOG will now share their personal favourites)

Beyond Good and Evil (Christophe Héral)

Quest for Glory V(Chance Thomas)

Myst and Riven (oh, Riven!)(Robyn Miller)

And yeah, I thought Time's scar was an excellent piece. If terribly bombastic.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

With the sort of 'colonial theme' of much of the game, it will be interesting to see what musical themes come of that.

:p

• Like 3

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

• 7 months later...

I'm glad that IWD is inspiring the soundtrack for PE, as "Icewind Dale - Easthaven in Peace" sounds really good, calming and yet intimating that adventure awaits.

Ffordesoon:  Thanks for the links to the music from Dark Souls, I hadn't heard it before and it's very good indeed.  My favorite song is "Great Grey Wolf Sif", but it's such a sad story that I'd never want to have to battle such a fine and noble creature.

I'm glad that IWD is inspiring the soundtrack for PE, as "Icewind Dale - Easthaven in Peace" sounds really good, calming and yet intimating that adventure awaits.

Ffordesoon:  Thanks for the links to the music from Dark Souls, I hadn't heard it before and it's very good indeed.  My favorite song is "Great Grey Wolf Sif", but it's such a sad story that I'd never want to have to battle such a fine and noble creature.

You cannot top this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEqDtbC3bL8

Elan_song.gif

You cannot top this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEqDtbC3bL8

That is really nice, further proof of the fine music from the IWD series. In fact, it's so good, that I wish there were more of it.  Note to Mr. Bell - please make nice long versions of all the songs in the game.  Even if only a shorter part of a song is used during the gameplay itself, at least we can enjoy the full-length versions on the OST CD.

But for something with melancholy and regret, permeated by it, Great Grey Wolf Sif.  It's so sad, and yet noble and dignified, a matter of honor, duty and loyalty... :(

Perhaps something along these lines can be crafted for some of the heavier moments in the game.

• Like 2

Justin: If time and resources allow it, please make plenty of varied battle music as well, and preferably furnished with something reminiscent of those neat intro and outro transitions you had for FNV! :)

Battle music is important in a game like this, and for both mood and pacing, I reckon. That said, tunes like Begin Again, are just as important. Imagine entering some tavern and hearing sweet nostalgic melancholy of that magnitude. Mmm...

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

If you like Dark Souls you might wish to give Severance: Blade of Darkness a try Mr Bell, it has a similar atmospheric lonely magnificence to it, and dare I say an even better combat system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d177lE70MVU

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So thinking about getting darksouls, but steam tells me it's best to play it with a xbox controller, which I don't have. Is this true?

---

So thinking about getting darksouls, but steam tells me it's best to play it with a xbox controller, which I don't have. Is this true?

It might be, unfortunately I can't really vouch for the keyboard and mouse controls...  Only because I've never played it that way.  Maybe do some googling to see what other people with no controller have done?

In this day and age of the midi mock-ups on computer in a sequencer you can with one computer get a completely realistic orchestra

and fake the real orchestra to the point of people not even knowing it.  That then can be put to midi data given over to a professional that makes the midi data into the orchestration for the orchestra(parts etc) Then played by a real orchestra and recorded if you desire it.

This is done all the time.

so in house our contract work for hire it really doesn't matter. 

What matter is the vision for the game what kind of score do you want, what main theme will represent your game.  that's what matters.

What is the feeling your are trying to get across for that music.  Isn't going to be the epic romantic theme that is also the Irish theme set to orchestra.  It is going to be something different?

In this day and age of the midi mock-ups on computer in a sequencer you can with one computer get a completely realistic orchestra

and fake the real orchestra to the point of people not even knowing it.  That then can be put to midi data given over to a professional that makes the midi data into the orchestration for the orchestra(parts etc) Then played by a real orchestra and recorded if you desire it.

This is done all the time.

Yes!  In fact that's what was done for the PE Kickstarter campaign music.

What matter is the vision for the game what kind of score do you want, what main theme will represent your game.  that's what matters.

What is the feeling your are trying to get across for that music.  Isn't going to be the epic romantic theme that is also the Irish theme set to orchestra.  It is going to be something different?

We're working on this right now... as I type this post.  Its all I can say at the moment.  That said, the Kickstarter campaign, the update I did last year, and all the posts I've done on this forum should be good hints.

Not trying to be coy, I just don't want to let the cat out of the bag too soon.  I hope you understand...

Hi Justin

I enjoy you posts of this forum and every "Hints" about music. But i must ask something...

Do you plan makeing some "music" update, for example Justin Bell talk about music. It whoud be very awsome to hear you speaking about your work in eternity (insead of only reading) mayby some example of what you created/done so far ?

It whoud be awsome !!