Project Eternity Composer: In-house or External

Music for Project Eternity   

638 members have voted

1. 1. Who should compose the music for Project Eternity?

• Justin Bell (In-house kickstarter video composer)
    • Mark Morgan
    • Jeremy Soule
    • Other external Composer
    • Whomever Obsidian chooses is fine

I think it's too generic and epic movie-ish. To me it sounds more Electronic Arts than Bioware. The Baldur's Gate 2 theme posted earlier in this thread OTOH was just brilliant. Didn't EA get anything right about that game? Oh yeah. The customized character portraits. Those were great.

"Wonderful" certainly wouldn't be my first choice of word.

Justin, by the way, guitars (classical, 12-string) were frequently mentioned in topics pertaining to music; live musicians are now confirmed. You remarked that you really miss playing on those instruments - are you considering it for PE?

Perhaps something flamenco-tinged for the Vaillan Republic? ;)

And by the way, here's something that you might enjoy (I particularly liked the piece "Kings") :)

I'm definitely considering it yeah, but I really have no idea wether it will fit the narrative though. It's worth experimenting with though, I think it could be cool.

Definitely, there's a lot you could do with the guitar :)

Seems like I provided a wrong link for that music piece, here's the correct one. Sorry!

Nines: Thanks for the link. I have Mask of the Betrayer, one of the best rpg expansion packs ever. Great npc characters, a proper satisfying ending to the story for those that played the main game (which was cut rather short at the end of the main campaign), and talk about an epic quest! :) And now I am reminded why the music is so good, too. :)

Liked samples so far. I think it's that kind of ambient which could enhance "adventure" feel like Baldur's Gate music did. In IE games it often came from the scale of seeing your little group of adventurers on a huge fantasy landscape, marching into unknown, and music tried to capture those specific moments. You had "introduction into adventure" music, calm, but promising, like one in first village of Icewind Dale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-0QpAnWZTc&feature=relmfu

or "marching" music, which almost felt like you had a war musician with you, who'd play something so his party members won't get bored on march

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoBXppWfAwA&feature=relmfu

I think IE games did a good job not only at just capturing the feel of their locations, but at guessing what player would actually do in them and supporting that with mood.

Edited by Shadenuat
  • Like 1

I just have to add: please not Jeremy Soule. I can't stand his generic and cinematic music scores. Sure it's quality work he does, but I want my RPG music to be memorable and underlining the mood and atmosphere.

Edited by Soranor

On the subject of audio matters, I wish there has been one more stretch goal that would have allowed the hiring of voice actors, so the most important npc's that can join one's party would all have full voice. That would be great, it really helps bring them to life, and is a lot more important for party members than ordinary npc's you might bump into. Who knows, maybe they'll add another optional stretch goal, for those that would like to see the party npc's each have their own real voice. :)

• 5 months later...

I would love to compose original music for this game, music that is not generic.  I am not concerned about making lots of money.  I'm mostly just intrigued by the concept of the game.

My website is www.anthonycasalena.ca

I've sent a resume and cover letter to the appropriate email address, and hope that your team and fans will gratefully accept me into your production.

Thank you very much.

Anthony

I think Icewind Dale 1 & 2 had by far the beautifulest soundtracks of all the RPG's I've ever played, I'd gladly pay 10 bucks extra for PE if that means that Jeremy Soule makes the music. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Does anyone know when will the information on who will be chosen to do the soundtrack for the game, be released to the masses?

I was a very big fan of music for IWD1 and 2 and was hoping that the soundtrack will retain some of that quality.

In a recent interview I think they said it was definitely gonna be Justin Bell.

Probably gonna be a good thing too, because a lot of the composers that people have mentioned haven't made a memorable soundtrack for 10 years+

Edited by Sensuki

Been a while since I contributed to the forum... but this is something I can speak to.

I can say that IWD 1 and 2 are inspirations for the game as a whole, as well as the soundtrack.  So in that sense yes, it will retain some of that quality.  Absolutely.   It'll be it's own "thing", but will draw inspiration from all IE games to some degree or another, and IWD is at the top of that particular list.

• Like 5

Mr. Bell, you have no idea how happy mentioning the IWD series serving as inspiration for the soundtrack makes me, even a decade after the games release I'm still regularly listening to the games music. My anticipation for PE has just increased by 50%!  :w00t:

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Howard Shore (LotR) or Justin Powell (How to Train Your Dragon) would be splendid!  :yes:

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Good to see you around Justin. Has there been any work done on the sound front so far, or does that all come later? :) Or is there a "pre-production phase" specifically for the sound design as well?

Most of the sound work that has gone on is on the technical side, i.e. figuring out tools, proving out pipelines, getting functionality working.  Full on production for sound won't start for a few a bit more.

Though update #49 should give you a good, if somewhat limited, preview of what's to come... :)

Mr. Bell, you have no idea how happy mentioning the IWD series serving as inspiration for the soundtrack makes me, even a decade after the games release I'm still regularly listening to the games music. My anticipation for PE has just increased by 50%!  :w00t:

Well, I'm glad!  It's one of the soundtracks we've discussed, and it's definitely one we'll be looking at for inspiration.  

Morrowind and IWD had some of the most memorable pieces of any game for me so Soule would be great, but really I just want it to be atmospheric and not cheesy, distracting, abrasive high fantasy stuff. Any composer who can pull that off works for me.

I love the soundtrack for Morrowind.  It's my number one favorite game score, of all time.  Hugely influential on me as a composer...  

Oh what do you think you'll do regarding battle music?

That's something a lot of composers handle very differently ie. leaning more heavily on choirs, horns, or drums, weird stuff (BG2 had strange battle music) or strings (Star Wars haha) etc

Would be nice to have a bit of a variety

For strings you could try something like the start to

I suppose Edited by Sensuki

Oh what do you think you'll do regarding battle music?

That's something a lot of composers handle very differently ie. leaning more heavily on choirs, horns, or drums, weird stuff (BG2 had strange battle music) or strings (Star Wars haha) etc

Would be nice to have a bit of a variety

For strings you could try something like the start to

I suppose

When it comes to combat music, I hope that there will lots of variety - we'll be hearing it quite often in PE, after all.

I thought that MotB handled that aspect admirably - each region had a unique battle theme. While I'm aware that the scope here's much bigger, it's something worth investing time in, in my opinion.

Some examples :

P.S.

Here's hoping for Spanish-tinged guitar for the Vaillan combat scenes.

:)

Edited by Karranthain