Project Eternity Composer: In-house or External

Music for Project Eternity   

638 members have voted

1. 1. Who should compose the music for Project Eternity?

• Justin Bell (In-house kickstarter video composer)
    • Mark Morgan
    • Jeremy Soule
    • Other external Composer
    • Whomever Obsidian chooses is fine

My gut instinct is that Bell is hungry for the project... that he's seriously jonesin' to compose the score. Like our ol' school friend up there says, he's in house, he wants to do it, and this could be a way to establish a true video game legacy. If they do bring in other composers, I think Bell should still direct the process. After all, if he creates a central theme, I want him to be able to guide any other talent Obsidz bring on if he's not directly exploring that theme himself. Frankly, I would rather he compose the score, not because I know he's the best. After hearing some of his music and listening to the initial pitch tracks, he strikes me as up to the job. He comes on the board and interacts with the fans beyond the call of duty. He truly seems affable. ...But that doesn't mean he's the best. However, since he does appear to be up to the job and he's in house, he should have the first call as long as the project director has confidence in his ability. ...And, assuming he's the choice, he deserves to have the lattitude to create the whole score in the image of his own personal vision as established by the project needs. Just my two cents. I hope you don't take this as rude, Justin, since I know you read these threads. I don't mean to offend, but I do prefer to be entirely frank. I'm not a huge fan yet, but if you make good on this, you'll have at least one fan singing your praises... and I'll sing them to the music of your score.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I actually played Morrowind with a mod that stacked Pokrovsky's music over the original soundtrack, and it fit the game perfectly. I was really growing sick and tired of the Morrowind theme on repeat.
Haha, "The Epic Soundtrack", right? I made that mod. :p Good times. Edited by Zeckul
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The glaring omission of Michael Hoenig as a choice is disappointing, almost rudely so. A 'spiritual successor' to Baldur's Gate must include the spritual center of Baldur's Gate, the music, the atmosphere, the leitmotifs.

Take the time again to listen to 'Night Falls on Baldur's Gate' and its evocative instrumentalization...pensive, almost mournful woodwinds and deep male vocal padding with minimalistic industrial percussions added to perhaps remind us of the city gates closing for the day.

Then try 'Safe in Beregost' with its homage to renaisannce-styled polyphony and inexactly kept time. Like it's counterpart 'The Friendly Arms Inn' you can hardly think of those places in the game without the music instantly coming to mind.

In case lush melody isn't your thing, The 'Main Theme' with its Mahleresque co-ed choir and war-drum marching rhythm practically defines the Baldur's Gate expereince. You are instantly put into the fantasy RPG mood after hearing the first few da-da-daaaaas! of the introduction.

'Swords Against Darkness' how many times have Minsc and Boo triumphed over Evil to that insistent brass and those orchestral hits? You know that survival is your only priority and it's time to un-stock those potions when Michael Hoenig starts his battle music.

Need I go on? Is not the soundtrack of Baldur's Gate arguably the defintion of an RPG soundtrack? Do not all subsequent attempts by other composers try to be as immersive, as innovative, as replayable and complimentary to the subject matter?

Only Mark Morgan, with such masterpieces as 'Dionarra's Theme' and 'Catacombs Battle' and of course the 'Nameless One Theme' has even approached the same level of unison with the subject matter as did Michael Hoenig with Baldur's Gate.

While Mark Morgan is also a correct choice for P:E, as any cutter would tell you, after listening to 'Curst Battle' you can't help but think he too would pick Michael Hoenig. My ear hears Los Angeles Television Studio music of the late 1990's when I hear Mark Morgan. Not that has any bearing on the quality, in fact it adds more of a professional timbre, but hearing it does not immediately evoke an RPG setting. While Mark Morgan and Plancespace has earned a permanent spot in my musical multi-verse I do not think it lends itself completely to this project.

Clearly the answer to this non-problem is to commission works from all of these very talented composers and incorporate their creations into the body of the work. I don't just listen to Mozart, I enjoy a bit of Beethoven as well.

Why should this project be any different? Hire them all and have a enriched soundtrack that you can enjoy for decades after the game itself is put lovingly on the shelf.

I wrote a few tracks inspired by RPGs and Project Eternity's campaign success, but I'm not sure it would be very appropriate to share them. I don't want anyone thinking I'm doing so to trump the future announced composer or Justin Bell's wonderful music for the Kickstarter video. If there is enough interest and it's not imposing then I'll post them. Otherwise, I'll just let them drift off into the nether regions of the internet.

I wrote a few tracks inspired by RPGs and Project Eternity's campaign success, but I'm not sure it would be very appropriate to share them. I don't want anyone thinking I'm doing so to trump the future announced composer or Justin Bell's wonderful music for the Kickstarter video. If there is enough interest and it's not imposing then I'll post them. Otherwise, I'll just let them drift off into the nether regions of the internet.

Yes! Post them! Your music sounds awesome Casey, and it deserves to be heard.

@everyone reading. Please listen to this man's music. It's good stuff!

• Like 1

@ Justin: I hope you include the "final flourish", as I would call it. Don't know what the actualy musical term is (coda, maybe?), but I'm referring to Baldur's Gate style music programming. For example, a battle starts, and music switches from "casual" to "battle". But then you defeat the enemy, and the "battle" music does not just abruptly stop, but ends with a "flourish" (a few trumpet sounds or something that signals the end of battle).

I'm playing Storm of Zehir and it lacks that musical ending once battles end. The music just stops, or switches to another track, and it's a bit grating.

EDIT: To clarify, I know that a normal musical track has a coda (or ending) if you play it to the end. But the point is that battle music ends mid-track, and it sounds very sudden and cut off. I'd love it if P:E had "flourishes" that fit the battle tracks and end them properly.

Edited by Domigorgon

Well, with encouraging words like that how could I not?

Link here: http://caseyedwardsmusic.com/projecteternitydemo/

These are just 3 quick examples I whipped up during my down time in-between projects to show some love for Project Eternity's fundraising success. I hope you guys enjoy it. If not, there's plenty more to sample at my website in the sig. below. :sorcerer:

Kinuyo Yamasita. She's composer of the original Castlevania and current resident of the US. (God I hope you see this post J.E. Sawyer.) It's just such a crazy idea it might actually work. For reference, her showing her range by playing what was a fast-paced metal-inspired composition on piano: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3PJyiKxQhY

Edited by AGX-17

First off, thanks to everyone who has written in and followed this thread. I'm happy to announce that, due in no small part to this conversation, that we have a new stretch goal that will add Live Musicians to the soundtrack!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts

Thank you again for this inspiring conversation. Please, spread the word and help us get those live musicians!

• Like 2

First off, thanks to everyone who has written in and followed this thread. I'm happy to announce that, due in no small part to this conversation, that we have a new stretch goal that will add Live Musicians to the soundtrack!

http://www.kickstart...-eternity/posts

Thank you again for this inspiring conversation. Please, spread the word and help us get those live musicians!

Maybe.... 5h is not that much, but if Paypal accounts too, we should be near the 4mln... around 3,9 I would guess, but today's spike is unpredictable where it will end :p

I just hope that if we will miss it by a relatively small margin we will still get those enhancements ;)

Edited by Darkpriest

Sooo... how is the plan for the instrumentals and Live Musicians? ;)

Any first thoughts on the success of the funding it?

The last update said they were working on distributing the funds on excel spreadsheets, so I imagine Justin is either making it himself or staying in touch with whoever composer(s) they've chosen. Most composers have close relationships with their own teams so I'm sure they're working it out right now with all departments.

But what about Inon Zur from IWD2? I loved what he did in Targos.

And I was blown away by what he did in DA:O. One of the best. Still voted "1." though.

I agree, Dragon Age: Origins has superb music, some of the finest I've heard in any game, it really captures the epic and noble grandeur of the setting and story. Powerful, yet subtle and nuanced also. I would like to have more music from this fellow in any rpg. :)

The opening theme with it's ethereal singing is just wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWFEVbfCcOY

But I'm sure Mr. Bell will do a very good job and look forward to seeing what he comes up with. And if he perhaps takes some inspiration from the music of DA:O (one of the very best rpg's I've ever played, by the way), then so much the better. :)

I think it's too generic and epic movie-ish. To me it sounds more Electronic Arts than Bioware. The Baldur's Gate 2 theme posted earlier in this thread OTOH was just brilliant. Didn't EA get anything right about that game? Oh yeah. The customized character portraits. Those were great.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

metiman: Hehe, ouchie. :) Well, I thought the game had more going for it than just the portraits. :) Great npc characters with interesting personalities that often clashed a bit with one another (I *love* lots of good colorful banter between the player character and npc party members, as well as among the npc party members themselves) was also a highlight.

As to the main theme music of DA:O, I will say that I think the earlier part of the song is better, as it got just a little too "heavy generic fantasy" toward the end, but just a bit, mind you. You need some power and drive for music about an epic quest story in a game like that. But the early part of the song, ah...the mind and heart soar with imaginings of the adventures that await... *sigh*

Edited by Dunedain

Well, with encouraging words like that how could I not?

Link here: http://caseyedwardsm...cteternitydemo/

These are just 3 quick examples I whipped up during my down time in-between projects to show some love for Project Eternity's fundraising success. I hope you guys enjoy it. If not, there's plenty more to sample at my website in the sig. below. :sorcerer:

I quite liked Celestial Terrain. I absolutely loved Falling Into Darkness. Completely amazing. I would buy that track for sure. Enigmatic Visions was also very nice and seems like it would work in some game scenes. Was Falling Into Darkness composed for a project like a film perhaps?

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

metiman: Hehe, ouchie. :) Well, I thought the game had more going for it than just the portraits. :) Great npc characters with interesting personalities that often clashed a bit with one another (I *love* lots of good colorful banter between the player character and npc party members, as well as among the npc party members themselves) was also a highlight.

As to the main theme music of DA:O, I will say that I think the earlier part of the song is better, as it got just a little too "heavy generic fantasy" toward the end, but just a bit, mind you. You need some power and drive for music about an epic quest story in a game like that. But the early part of the song, ah...the mind and heart soar with imaginings of the adventures that await... *sigh*

Well up to 0:50 it's not too bad. Kind of Enya-ish. It might have worked if they had just left well enough alone, but it had to be EPIC. DId Inon Zur compose that? I don't think I've ever heard a single track of his that impressed me. It all tends to sound like Yet Another Epic Movie Soundtrack. Although there was one track posted in this thread that I liked, Jeremy Soule tends to have the same problem. It's like they are both just shooting for that one kind of sound and that's all they do. Sort of the musical equivalent of making license plates. I think both Justin and Casey are better than Jeremy Soule or Inon Zur.

• Like 1

I really love VtM: Bloodlines, and especially the soundtrack. This is a great piece by Rik Schaffer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff1DjBe3LOM

Doesn't really fit in the fantasy setting though.

Yeah, Bloodlines is a very good game (the first to use the HL2 engine after HL2's release, as a side note), and has some very fine music, quite moody and atmospheric, and fitting of a vampire rpg game (both the score and soundtrack songs). Would like to hear more from him, and hopefully they will make a sequel to the game some day. Maybe a kickstarter for it, there are lots of hard-core World of Darkness fans out there that would want it. :) And while we're at it, let's have a kickstarter for the Werewolf: The Apocalypse game that got canceled. :)

By the way, does anyone know where to find the high res teaser trailer they released for that Werewolf game? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

metiman: Yeah, it's not as good later in the song, he should have stuck more with the ethereal sound, that worked really well, subtle and mysterious, makes you wonder what awaits.

Edited by Dunedain

I really love VtM: Bloodlines, and especially the soundtrack. This is a great piece by Rik Schaffer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff1DjBe3LOM

Doesn't really fit in the fantasy setting though.

Would like to hear more from him, and hopefully they will make a sequel to the game some day.

Rik Schaffer already worked with Obsidian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlXWSZyODg

But i believe he is busy right now (Elder Scrolls Online). :getlost:

Edited by Nines

This is pretty much off topic but I'm not sure where else to post it.

Casey Edwards your music was lovely. I listened to Noble Serenity with a big foolish grin all over my face and was tapping my feet to the beat in Dwarven Dweller. Thank you for sharing it with us, I really hope you're going to tell me I can buy Noble Serentiy somewhere! :yes:

Edited by Sistergoldring

priestess2.jpg

The Divine Marshmallow shall succour the souls of the Righteous with his sweetness while the Faithless writhe in the molten syrup of his wrath.

Justin, by the way, guitars (classical, 12-string) were frequently mentioned in topics pertaining to music; live musicians are now confirmed. You remarked that you really miss playing on those instruments - are you considering it for PE?

Perhaps something flamenco-tinged for the Vaillan Republic? ;)

And by the way, here's something that you might enjoy (I particularly liked the piece "Kings") :)

Edited by Karranthain

Justin, by the way, guitars (classical, 12-string) were frequently mentioned in topics pertaining to music; live musicians are now confirmed. You remarked that you really miss playing on those instruments - are you considering it for PE?

Perhaps something flamenco-tinged for the Vaillan Republic? ;)

And by the way, here's something that you might enjoy (I particularly liked the piece "Kings") :)

I'm definitely considering it yeah, but I really have no idea wether it will fit the narrative though. It's worth experimenting with though, I think it could be cool.

I really liked Casey Edwards's music: both Noble Serenity and Dwarven Dweller. Celestial Terrain sounded too heavy for me.

Anyway, now with the live instruments stretch goal being hit, I hope that OEI is willing to do a call for sample music from musicians who are interested in sharing with Mr. Bell's creative direction. More music from different musicians is double-plus good. :)

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html