Project Eternity Composer: In-house or External

Music for Project Eternity   

638 members have voted

1. 1. Who should compose the music for Project Eternity?

• Justin Bell (In-house kickstarter video composer)
    • Mark Morgan
    • Jeremy Soule
    • Other external Composer
    • Whomever Obsidian chooses is fine

Can you list everyhing (or at least some things) you composed so far in Obsidian's games?

Could get a better picture.

Sure thing! It hasn't always been feasible for me to be involved with music at Obsidian, but when it has, I would always jump at the opportunity... If you visit my website www.benaturalmusic.com, click on Fallout New Vegas, and then click on Stingers so you can check everything out. That should give you a good idea of what I did for that particular project.

Outside of Obsidian, I keep busy with small music writing gigs here and there. Much of that work is as a ghost writer for TV and Film. High profile stuff too! (though part of the deal with that sort of gig is that you're sworn to secrecy about your involvment... I might be killed if I say something ;) ) I've also done some stuff for smaller profile games as well, all fun stuff.

When will you have some samples of Project Eternity music? I've become more interested in music since I noticed that we'll get ringtones. Some of PS:T's music is simply beautiful, and I really liked BG and IWD music also. I'll check out your webpage, but I'm jonesin' for some an example of Eternity music.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Can you list everyhing (or at least some things) you composed so far in Obsidian's games?

Could get a better picture.

Sure thing! It hasn't always been feasible for me to be involved with music at Obsidian, but when it has, I would always jump at the opportunity... If you visit my website www.benaturalmusic.com, click on Fallout New Vegas, and then click on Stingers so you can check everything out. That should give you a good idea of what I did for that particular project.

Outside of Obsidian, I keep busy with small music writing gigs here and there. Much of that work is as a ghost writer for TV and Film. High profile stuff too! (though part of the deal with that sort of gig is that you're sworn to secrecy about your involvment... I might be killed if I say something ;) ) I've also done some stuff for smaller profile games as well, all fun stuff.

I'm sorry to say this but... your site doesn't work very well :-/

Initially it was working, but then it stopped working, I restarted firefox, and no luck in getting "Stingers" to play.

You should have a soundcloud or a youtube account.

Edited by hideo kuze

I'm sorry to say this but... your site doesn't work very well :-/

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the site... For some reason videos on it take a very long time to buffer. I've uploaded it (and another one) to youtube. The first video is the stinger one, the second one is mostly sound design with some music starting at around 1:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8WD-J88uCQ&feature=youtu.be

Very cool. I think Dead Money had some really succesful moments in the sound design, like the Begin Again (with the filters on it, sounds so far-away, nostalgic and yet creepy). And hearing the thumping from the Auto-doc was one of the most effective "horror" moments in the game overall, really liked that.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I had an internship like that once... It's like walking on glass, but it was a very important experience for me!

I don't understand why more people haven't suggested Michael Hoenig. He is by far the most iconic composer of IE game music in my opinion. Jeremy Soule - well, not so much to get excited about. He has made some of the worst and most boring video game music I've ever heard. I'm frankly surprised that he still in the business. Mark Morgan is great, but I haven't heard him composing much music that would be fitting for a fantasy RPG. New guy Justin Bell - I'm cautiously optimistic :) Ben Houge's soundtrack to Arcanum was also very good and professionally executed (with the exception of a couple of tracks), especially the themes for the different cities.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

@Justin

Thanks for being so open with us :) I'm quite sure that you will do a very good job on this one.

Just do not let our ears starve you know :p get some new background music for the next announcement video :D *cracks his whip*

(kidding of course, creative minds should not be rushed - that much ;) )

Edited by Darkpriest

@Justin

Thanks for being so open with us [...]

Yeah absolutely. One of the great things about Kickstarter is that we get to be more open and forthcoming about whatever we want.

It'll take some getting used to though! When working on games, especially when a publisher is involved, you have to be pretty careful about what you say because publishers typically like to control how and when information is disseminated. Honestly though, it's their prerogative to expect that.

Kai Rosenkranz of

fame.

That piece is exceptional. Really beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing it Karranthain!

Agreed, Gothic 3 had an amazing soundtrack. My personal favorite is a very short piece called Sad Strings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25j6XyPuCI

To paint a picture for you, it's a variation of the main Gothic theme which plays while the player is fighting his way to a besieged castle across a battlefield where many of the defenders have already fallen. The situation appears hopeless at first, but the player's actions eventually turn the tide.

• Like 1

@Justin

Thanks for being so open with us [...]

Yeah absolutely. One of the great things about Kickstarter is that we get to be more open and forthcoming about whatever we want.

It'll take some getting used to though! When working on games, especially when a publisher is involved, you have to be pretty careful about what you say because publishers typically like to control how and when information is disseminated. Honestly though, it's their prerogative to expect that.

I am quite sure that it will be difficult to work again on a publisher funded project after the Kickstarter experience ;)

Nice choice, bunia.

Thanks! :3

Some more greatness...music that appears to tell a story in its own right

[brilliant Planescape's music - 'Good Ending']

For me simplicity of Torment's music is what makes it so great - it's based on your emotions and nothing else.

Another goodies from me. My two favorite soundtracks from Sacred 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pLCZ69KE4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5v9raFhdZw&feature=relmfu

Dak'kon: "Strength lies in *knowing* oneself."

Not exactly a music for the in game elements - more of a trailer type, but still some elements, themes and tunes from these pieces could be inspirational. And besides this type of music is just great, because so much different from what we hear on daily basis ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liEnxzM4fvs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jrFcobLQM&feature=related

My personal favorite is a very short piece called Sad Strings[...]

Really drawn the Gothic 3 soundtrack, thanks for posting this. There is a certain... refined quality to it's music that I find compelling.

I am quite sure that it will be difficult to work again on a publisher funded project after the Kickstarter experience wink.png

Haha, well.... Maybe not that difficult. Old habits are hard to break, and some of the most engaging projects I've worked on were with big publishers. It's just, different I guess. Though KS is definitely awesome I gotta say.

[PS:T]...music that appears to tell a story in its own right

Especially two thirds the way through. Cathartic and deep... Mark Morgan is amazing!

I always feel like playing *again* whenever I hear anything from BG1/BG2 soundtrack.

Agreed, both soundtracks are great! Though I think I'm more partial to the soundtrack for BG1 than 2. There's a raw quality to it that feels very authentic to me...

@Justin,

So when can we expect another sample of your talent? ;)

Perhaps a challenge? (30 sec piece?)

What would you have in mind for a moment of tragedy and loss?

Note: I am not a sound designer or musician or composer so I can't say how long the process would take. If it would take you for more than you have time available, just refer to some other piece that is close to your image of that part.

• Like 1

You have no shortage of inspiration to draw upon Justin, so many classic games with great tracks.

I like the song from the kickstarter, reminded me of Icewind Dale, specifically Kuldahar. If the rest of the soundtrack follows that style, then you can not go wrong Justin!

• Like 1