Project Eternity Composer: In-house or External

Music for Project Eternity   

638 members have voted

1. 1. Who should compose the music for Project Eternity?

• Justin Bell (In-house kickstarter video composer)
    • Mark Morgan
    • Jeremy Soule
    • Other external Composer
    • Whomever Obsidian chooses is fine

I will put my trust at their IH music maker... really... I am sure he will be more passionate about it than externally paid guy, who will just get some cash for his work.

Besides, it would be awesome if we could hear some samples during the process of the games' creation process. Usually there are more tracks being composed than they make into the game, so let us have some more goodies...

@Justin Bell

If you are lurking this forum, could you share with us a sample of what you would have in mind for the soundtracks?

And I was blown away by what he did in DA:O. One of the best. Still voted "1." though.

DA:O soundtrack is quite average, imo.

I like the Baldur's Gate II soundtrack so how about Michael Hoenig?

I would choose him, too. Please add him to the poll!

+1, brilliant soundtrack.

And I'd say Paul Anthony Romero (Heroes of Might and Magic III,...) or Michiel van den Bos (Age of Wonders (1), Overlord, Unreal Tournament,...) would be excellent choices too.

I'm curious is soundtrack really in production already? I hope they will update about that soon, cannot wait to see who's gonna compose it.

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Twin Elms and Celestial Sapling and Torment: Tides of Numenera Crystalline Dimension, Before the fall and Bloom original fan art music.

The trailer was one hell of a bid for the job. I'd go no further.

The clever option though, might be to get one of the big names to do the 5 min opening theme and give the rest to Justin.

"Soundtrack by Jeremy Soule & Justin Bell" might grab a few more pledges.

This.

I really liked Justin Bells work in the pitch video. I was particularly impressed by the more atmospheric/ambient parts. Still, if they hired an external (and really famous) composer to work on the main theme, it would give the project much needed attention.

Plus, both Soule and Morgan are safe choices. If either of them writes the main theme it will probably be pretty awesome.

P.S. In my opinion, Inon Zur is vanilla.

My musical preference is the Arcanum style (Ben Houge) or NWN2's MotB (Alex Brandon), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't trust anyone else to make a good soundtrack. I vote 1 and hope he finds a style that pleases both me and the Skyrim fans. :)

Edit: Oh, and real instruments are always a big plus. If you don't have enough cash left for an orchestra, go with a string quar.... okay, I think I'm repeating myself too often. :getlost:

Edited by casa

Random Comment:

I really liked the kickstarter music for one because it really, really fit well with everything that happened in the video, awoke emotions at just the right moment.

If Justin reads this: How long did you guys take to put that video together?

(The Video, from a marketing standpoint, is fantastic in general. Much better than I have often seen from publishers)

Edited by C2B

The trailer was one hell of a bid for the job. I'd go no further.

The clever option though, might be to get one of the big names to do the 5 min opening theme and give the rest to Justin.

"Soundtrack by Jeremy Soule & Justin Bell" might grab a few more pledges.

This.

I really liked Justin Bells work in the pitch video. I was particularly impressed by the more atmospheric/ambient parts. Still, if they hired an external (and really famous) composer to work on the main theme, it would give the project much needed attention.

Plus, both Soule and Morgan are safe choices. If either of them writes the main theme it will probably be pretty awesome.

P.S. In my opinion, Inon Zur is vanilla.

I couldn't agree more

All of them. Muahahaha.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Who ever the composer, though, I wouldn't want the music to be like in the pitch video where it souded good (to me) but kinda generic. I'd want the score to have some experimental bite to it; something nonconventional. Arcanun did great (imo) with the minimalistic approach, and PS:T did likewise great with the Mark Morgan ambient touch, for a couple of examples -- and that's the sort of thing I'd like to hear in PE too, something that strays at least a bit from the basic fantasy orchestrals.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I still feel very inspired by this project and would love to be a part of it. As soon as I catch a break from my current projects I'm going to take a stab at writing a mock-theme for the game and see how it goes.

Who ever the composer, though, I wouldn't want the music to be like in the pitch video where it souded good (to me) but kinda generic. I'd want the score to have some experimental bite to it; something nonconventional. Arcanun did great (imo) with the minimalistic approach, and PS:T did likewise great with the Mark Morgan ambient touch, for a couple of examples -- and that's the sort of thing I'd like to hear in PE too, something that strays at least a bit from the basic fantasy orchestrals.

Yeah, I agree. I got strong Warcraft vibes when listening to the soundtrack (the choir, the general "epic" feeling).

I still feel very inspired by this project and would love to be a part of it. As soon as I catch a break from my current projects I'm going to take a stab at writing a mock-theme for the game and see how it goes.

:)

Sounds great!

There are a lot of competent composers and I don't claim to know whose composition would fit this game the best. I love Mark Morgan's compositions, but I'm not sure whether high fantasy is really the optimal genre for him, even though he did phenomenal job with Planescape: Torment. Well, it was a relatively unorthodox RPG so I guess Morgan's unorthodox compositions complemented it well.

I always like to see opportunities given to talented folks in-house and liked the pitch music very much. Obviously, music for a game would vary by location and situation. Not all of it would sound "epic." I also prefer that it not have so much "bite" that it's distracting. It should enhance gameplay, not compete with it for attention.