Stretch Goal: Orchestral Score or a sound related goal

One of the stretch goals of Planetary Annihilation was putting money towards the music of the game.

The music style of Project Eternity may not need to be strictly orchestral or classical music (some medieval / neoclassical / neo-folk stuff would be nice for various different areas / environments), but I think this is a great idea for a stretch goal.

Full Orchestral Score - $2.0M

The absolute best way to make a game soundtrack come alive and stand the test of time is to record it using live musicians. We will record the soundtrack for the game using the Northwest Sinfonia, the same orchestra that performed the soundtracks for Total Annihilation, Halo, and many Hollywood film scores.

nwsinfonia.jpg

Orchestral recording is expensive and difficult to produce, but the layers of texture and overall quality of a live performance cannot be beat. We want to deliver the absolute highest quality game experience that we can and a world class orchestral score is truly something Uber.

Also, Howard says he will add +Sing to the game if we can reach this goal!

That's not to say that it need be exactly like that, but money towards the music/soundscapes/voiceovers/recording quality etc

This is also not a post about the composer, as it seems likely that Justin Bell will get his shot for Project Eternity (which might be a good thing, as it was the earliest works of other composers for video game soundtracks that are usually their best).

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Orchestral soundtracks are great (I even bought the Skyrim 4-disc set) but this is a good example of the sort of extra that might really add to the production costs. There are a lot of people who want to dress P:E up as a top tier title, but Wikipedia says that the average game development costs for a game in 2010 were $20 million. Great though it would be to see AAA features in this game (and of course the Kickstarter is not the only investment going to the budget of this game) we are a long way from covering the cost of what has already been promised.

Stretch goals are mainly to stretch us, the backers, not the devs! :lol:

I love high quality sound. I think it adds a lot more than simply spicing up the graphics. Thinking of recently, just compare the audio of Dragon Age 2 to Dragon Age: Origins, or Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect. Both sequels had much smaller budgets for the audio, and it was obvious. Or compare Skyrim to ME2 or DA2. I hope this is doable.

One of the stretch goals of Planetary Annihilation was putting money towards the music of the game.

The music style of Project Eternity may not need to be strictly orchestral or classical music (some medieval / neoclassical / neo-folk stuff would be nice for various different areas / environments), but I think this is a great idea for a stretch goal.

Full Orchestral Score - $2.0M

The absolute best way to make a game soundtrack come alive and stand the test of time is to record it using live musicians. We will record the soundtrack for the game using the Northwest Sinfonia, the same orchestra that performed the soundtracks for Total Annihilation, Halo, and many Hollywood film scores.

nwsinfonia.jpg

Orchestral recording is expensive and difficult to produce, but the layers of texture and overall quality of a live performance cannot be beat. We want to deliver the absolute highest quality game experience that we can and a world class orchestral score is truly something Uber.

Also, Howard says he will add +Sing to the game if we can reach this goal!

That's not to say that it need be exactly like that, but money towards the music/soundscapes/voiceovers/recording quality etc

This is also not a post about the composer, as it seems likely that Justin Bell will get his shot for Project Eternity (which might be a good thing, as it was the earliest works of other composers for video game soundtracks that are usually their best).

Well, with the virtual studio technology available this is a lot of money I would like to see invested elsewhere. Besides, if the music isn't that great the orchestra won't make it better.

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

Ohh yeah, how I would love to see this. I think it should be an early goal. Not sure on cost but I think it would about cost 1 or 2 mil. Live is always better for me. Want to hear the heart beat behind the sound and feel the soul of the music. Soul isn't that what the game is somewhat about.

Edited by Sales101