Achievements  

392 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts on achievements:

• A typical console-born annoyance. Not needed in old-school mature cRPG.
    • Sometimes can be interesting and motivate a player to do more than one play-through.
    • Ok. But only if there are no achievements of "kill 50 monsters" or "die 20 times" kind.
    • Non of the above.

As someone who has always played both PC and Console games...I don't get achievements. A game being good will be encouragement for me to replay it, not trying to complete an artificial list of "things to do" by finding 1000 McGuffins in the Secret Dungeon.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Aside from a little button which reminds your attention deficit riddled brains about the things in the game you just accomplished what good are achievements? No. Waste of time, money and resources.

They are free market research for the games developer, all of the information on what people do in the game is available to them. They also encourage gamers to play in a way they might not have otherwise. I understand that some people just see them as asinine but they do have value beyond being a gold star for the gamer.

• Like 1

Aside from a little button which reminds your attention deficit riddled brains about the things in the game you just accomplished what good are achievements? No. Waste of time, money and resources.

They are free market research for the games developer, all of the information on what people do in the game is available to them.

Dragon Age 2 was done like this,with data from the first game gathered as you describe.

They are free market research for the games developer, all of the information on what people do in the game is available to them.

Dragon Age 2 was done like this,with data from the first game gathered as you describe.

As far as I'm aware they only looked at the fact that barely anyone finished the game so they made it easier. The fact remains that achievements offer the developer some feedback. If they then go full retard with the results it's not exactly the fault of the information. :p I'd like to think that Obsidian have more sense than to blindly follow surveys, otherwise we would have a dating simulator for bug people on our hands :p

Edited by Moonlight Butterfly

As far as I'm aware they only looked at the fact that barely anyone finished the game so they made it easier. The fact remains that achievements offer the developer some feedback. If they then go full retard with the results it's not exactly the fault of the information. :p

It actually is more than that:while scouting the BSN for lulz I recall Gaiderp saying that data indicated romances were pretty popular and that's why they are buffing them up.It's likely they used said data for much more.

Fake edit:now that I recall data gathering was also behind scrapping non-human origins.

Anyway this would be going a bit OT now.

I do not think overarching achievements are needed, from multiple playthroughs, accessed from the main menu. That seems unnecessary and is more of a console gimmick.

But – they could have a place as an added roleplaying element in the game. I am imagining a sort of title system. After killing 100 Hobgoblins, a certain character might earn the title under their name in the character screen of Terror of Hobgoblins. Or, if the party knocks off an elite dragon, the party might collectively earn the title of: Slayers of X-named Dragon. I think this would be fun. My examples aren't very creative, but I am positive that people more thoughtful than I could come up with creative titles to give individual adventurers or a party.

Edited by Sarevok
  • Like 1

"The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny, chaos will be sown by their passage," so sayeth the wise Alaundo.

768543sarevokred1.jpg

I never understood achievements anyway. First time I ever ran into them was in the DA games and I thought I'd be able to get some goodies if I earned enough points. But all I found out was I still had to pay for any new add-ons, whatever.

Stuff that challenges the player, or gives a little nod for being generally awesome would be ok. Like mentioned above, the way Arcanum, NWN2 and the Fallout games handled things would be pretty great. Obviously, pop-ups or nonsense like that isn't a good idea.

Gaiderp

Pretty low. DA2 might not be popular here, but how about some respect? It's just a video game.

• Like 1

As long ther are no notifications and no online function for achievements or both only optional (best disabled on default for gog version) I can live with achievements as I wouldn't see them.

But in general I find the implementation of achievements that don't have a ingame function also a waste of resources for RPGs.

Edit:

Something like you got Guildmaster of Guild xyz or Honorable Member of City Xyz that actual is somthing I'm ok with as this are actual achievements with ingame related effect but they are bether put into something like achived titles. But the usual achievements like you have killed X number of oponent typ Y are something I absolut don't like.

Edited by Adauli

I find Achievement / Trophy from XB360 / PS3 as apples to the oranges of the situational perks created in Fallout where doing certain things you get the perk that may have an in-game effect.

Since I like the backgrounds of Arcanum and Fallout, I like the perks / traits /whatevers

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Stuff that challenges the player, or gives a little nod for being generally awesome would be ok. Like mentioned above, the way Arcanum, NWN2 and the Fallout games handled things would be pretty great. Obviously, pop-ups or nonsense like that isn't a good idea.

Gaiderp

Pretty low. DA2 might not be popular here, but how about some respect? It's just a video game.

When he starts respecting my intelligence I'll start respecting him. I am not holding my breath.

• Like 1

Say no to popamole!

I don't really care for achievements much.

I kind of like ones that force you to do something unique or weird to attain them. Like forcing you to change your strategy or gimp yourself. Gives you a different perspective on how to play and something new to try from your usual way of playing.

Don't like the ones you get for just playing through the game and beating bosses normally. They're not really achievements. Beating a game through pacifism is an achievement.

• Like 1

About the only achievements that seems worthwhile are based upon elements that matter within the game world: a good or bad reputation, favor with a particular storekeep or guild, the patronage of a deity, the addition of a useful contact, and so forth. In that sense they are more like the perks in HERO/Champions system (or the disadvantages from being widely known). I wouldn't mind seeing a list of those types of achievements as part of the journal so that, in a particularly long game, I can use them as a reference for things I could potentially take advantage of. Otherwise, achievements in CRPGs like the Mass Effect series just seemed a little silly.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Frankly, I like achievements, it's a nice bonus.

Everyone want an old-school RPG here but because we want to go back to our roots doesn't mean we should discard every thing remotely new.

I don't think achievements have really added much to the genre (or any games at that matter). Key point to make people attached to their platform accounts, mainly, aren't they ? As for them in the game - I'm slightly against them but if they do toss them in, maybe just make it a few for "real" achievements in the game - like a pacifist playthrough, or felling some optional powerful foe, etc.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I never understood achievements when I first saw them. They had no game-importance, it just seemed like a way to show off to your friends which is kind of sad. However occasionally some seem interesting in a way to get you to try stuff. Ie, an explorer achievement to try and find difficult to reach areas, or a way to gain some in-game reputation. Maybe it's a check list of really difficult to do things, or a list of "have you tried this" items, or maybe extra challenges.

Examples: in Thief some players have a self imposed "ghost" style where they must make sure to never be seen, or a style where they're not allowed to purchase any extra items, or that they must find every last coin of treasure; those could all be achievements. Let's say it was Baldur's Gate, and achievement could be to acquire all three pantaloons :-).