Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Achievements

Achievements

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Poll: Achievements (392 member(s) have cast votes)

Your thoughts on achievements:

1. A typical console-born annoyance. Not needed in old-school mature cRPG. (216 votes [55.10%])

Percentage of vote: 55.10%

2. Sometimes can be interesting and motivate a player to do more than one play-through. (91 votes [23.21%])

Percentage of vote: 23.21%

3. Ok. But only if there are no achievements of "kill 50 monsters" or "die 20 times" kind. (65 votes [16.58%])

Percentage of vote: 16.58%

4. Non of the above. (20 votes [5.10%])

Percentage of vote: 5.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Gurkog

Gurkog

Tactical Response Unit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
I do not mind achievements for strategy, tower defense, or other such games because I consider them as extra missions. For RPGs though, I think they are rather lame. I think most companies use the steam achievement system to track customer activity for future reference how to distribute resources in the next title.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I've found that being conscious of achievements has affected how I would normally play; in that I may play in such a manner that is conducive of me chasing said achievement as opposed to "role playing" my character.

Please, please take out achievements! I don't want to be a munchkin gamer!

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
There should be one achievement -- and it comes when the credits roll after beating the damned game.

Gamer points, or Steam Achievements or whatever are completely immersion breaking for me in a game like this.

Nivenus

Nivenus

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Niirfa
  • Xbox Gamertag:Niirfa
I don't quite get the claim that achievements are immersion breaking. I never once lost interest in the world of <i>Fallout: New Vegas</i> because I gained an achievement. To me, it's no different than any user interface gimmick - it's there, and sure, it's not realistic, but if you find that bothersome you're thinking too much about it. Within a couple seconds it's gone.

Brother Pain

Brother Pain

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:BrotherFPain
  • Steam:brotherpain
  • Kickstarter Backer
Would have been nice with a neutrally worded poll instead of this, since options are basically 1. No, 2. Maybe, 3. Maybe, 4. No.

That said, I think achievements can work. I understand the people that hate them, and especially hate the popups and so on, but well thought out achievement (or trophies or feats or whatnot) can add value to a game as they lead you to play in ways you wouldn't otherwise have done. A good example of this is Alpha Protocol.

Personally I vote to put them in the game. I know Obsidian are capable of using achievements to add interesting stuff to a game, and Steam comes with a system built in for them so I doubt they will need to spend a large chunk of development time on them.

Entropious

Entropious

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 144 posts
As many people have already pointed out, achievements are mostly targeted towards console players, whose games are so short and tedious that they need additional incentive in order to replay the content of said product. Project Eternity, as it seems, will be a rather large product, spanning many, many hours, with an open or semi-open world, not just and endless jumble of invisible tunnels and corridors (HELLO CONSOLE GAMES).
Therefore, I strongly thing that introducing regular achievements is a waste of time and effort.

Unless, as I have stated before, we are talking about titles similar to those found in Arcanum. If such is the case, however, I want those titles to be more present within the game world, not just as an entry inside my journal.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
I hate achievements.

On the other hand a more in-depth stat screen like the BG one would be cool

(the one with favourite weapon, favourite spell, time in party, XP earned, monsters slain, most powerful foe vanquished etc)

Hobo Elf

Hobo Elf

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
I don't need a little pop up to give me 15 brownie points every now and then when I do something in-game. I don't need achievement points to tell me when I've achieved something. If I slay a dangerous dragon and find a powerful magical sword from his hoard then surely that should be enough of a trophy for me, for isn't that sword the fruit of my arduous task anyway?

buggeer

buggeer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

Would have been nice with a neutrally worded poll instead of this, since options are basically 1. No, 2. Maybe, 3. Maybe, 4. No.

You mean a boring one, right? It's neutral. Being the one that created this poll I've chosen the "Sometimes can be interesting and motivate a player to do more than one play-through." option.

Moonlight Butterfly

Moonlight Butterfly

Crazy Cat Lady of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

You mean a boring one, right? It's neutral. Being the one that created this poll I've chosen the "Sometimes can be interesting and motivate a player to do more than one play-through." option.

I think he mean there are no 'I like achievements options' they all err on the side of dislike :p

Like I said I don't mind them it's free research for Obsidian for future games.

Pangur

Pangur

White Cat of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Not needed. Useless and annoying. I don't really need to know how many monsters I killed or how many fireballs I shot.

Entropious

Entropious

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 144 posts
Additionally, I hate features of "counting up" every little thing I do, like in World of Warcraft. How many times I hit someone, how many spells I've cast, how many carrots I ate yesterday...why in God's name do I need that kind of information? Keep it simple, disciplined and neat.

EducatedFool

EducatedFool

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
The way it was done in Fallout and Fallout2 was pretty cool, with perks like Married, or Expert excrement expeditor. The method of Planescape:Torment was truly imaginative and fantastic, where you could buy new tattoos after visiting places or certain dialogue options. The consol method is boring and simply an annoyance for instance Mass Effect's achievments are simply dull.

DarthAdamRG

DarthAdamRG

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:DarthAdamRG
  • Xbox Gamertag:DarthAdamRG
Please no, not in any way shape or form, I feel the implement of achievements takes away form the sense of achievement, i remember doing things in games cause I wanted to not to get 15 or 20 points for it.

Jiraboas

Jiraboas

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Achievments: Dont want them, dont need them.

I dont understand why achievements this common...

kind regards,

Jira

Edited by Jiraboas, 19 September 2012 - 02:55 AM.

ButchinMelancholy

ButchinMelancholy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I certainly am in the ranks of those who think that this is rather a poor artifice to give an incentive to people who can't use their own will and imagination to explore the possibilites of a game, in theory, while being mostly stupid and pointless in fact, and that developers shouldn't spend any effort or money on it unless they have nothing interesting to do with the extra budget.

But since the game will be on Steam, and this stuff has been confirmed to be in, I would of course recommend to make them inventive and encouraging us to do unusual things, and thus really make us uncover new things; something interesting and worthy in sum. In this case, I could have a casual interest in those. But I don't want to play on Steam nevertheless, so if there is a possiblity to implement them as an option in any copy of the game, that would be nice. ;)

Edited by ButchinMelancholy, 29 September 2012 - 11:14 PM.

Elthosian

Elthosian

Recruit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
If you are going to include them, PLEASE, put them in the DRM-free version too, not only in the Steam one.

Bos_hybrid

Bos_hybrid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2170 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I have no idea what the point of achievements is.

Spyware.

It's main use is that devs can determine what the majority of the players of their game do. Then use that information going forward.

Shaz

Shaz

Comtessa of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Achievements? Sometimes. Maybe. Depending on how they're done. And never, ever, ever, if they flash billboard style in neon lights across your screen whenever you achieve one. Ugh.

I have absolutely zero interest in ranking up a useless gamerscore or getting in achievemongering competitions with other people, but occasionally I'm interested in seeing what I personally have done. I don't need achievements for that, but some kind of personal tracker is nice. Do NOT give me a score for an achievement, if you add achievements. Titles are fine, in-depth stat screens are great, but please nothing like 'You exploded fifty rabid weasels into chunky bits! Achievement gained: POP GOES THE WEASEL!' flashing on my screen in bright gold. And if achievements are added, give us a way to toggle off the notification so we don't see them unless we look for them in our journal. Please.

handup

handup

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
Alpha Protocol did something interesting by giving you in-game perks for doing certain things, and also gave you bonuses to gameplay so you felt like you actually won something, instead of feeling like a dog being thrown a bone. Plus it was character specific, so it felt like character development. I'd like to see something like this implemented in PE.

Also, I'd also like the dossier and Sis to be in the game.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Achievements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users