Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Achievements

Achievements

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Poll: Achievements (392 member(s) have cast votes)

Your thoughts on achievements:

1. A typical console-born annoyance. Not needed in old-school mature cRPG. (216 votes [55.10%])

Percentage of vote: 55.10%

2. Sometimes can be interesting and motivate a player to do more than one play-through. (91 votes [23.21%])

Percentage of vote: 23.21%

3. Ok. But only if there are no achievements of "kill 50 monsters" or "die 20 times" kind. (65 votes [16.58%])

Percentage of vote: 16.58%

4. Non of the above. (20 votes [5.10%])

Percentage of vote: 5.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Nakia

Nakia

Rogue of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:nakiarogue
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Achievements? Voted #1. I ignore them. If I want to replay the game it is because the game itself makes me want to replay it.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2316 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Achievements per se are (usually) rubbish as they're (usually) trite make work for obsessive compulsives and epeen wavers.

On the other hand gaining traits/ reputations/ whatever from your actions in game are good, if handled well.
  • nikolokolus likes this

Tychoxi

Tychoxi

Sciscitator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
couldn't give a hump.

I can say, though, that I prefer achievements to be 100% unknown beforehand (of course you can go to the 'net and look 'em up, but that's your problem), so don't list them in the game/STEAM or wherever before earning them, or if they are listed don't tell me what is needed to achieve them. This kinda neglects the "achieving" part of achievements.

evdk

evdk

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Don't want them. Not planning on playing this on any platform that would make use of them either.

Infinitron

Infinitron

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1924 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
No pop-up achievements please.

But, the "custom feats" that you could get in NWN2 were kind of cool.

evdk

evdk

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

No pop-up achievements please.

But, the "custom feats" that you could get in NWN2 were kind of cool.

Yeah, but those were for actually interesting things, not successfully mastering the art of left click.

TMTVL

TMTVL

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:TMTVL
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It doesn't have to be achievements, but some type of recognition for (for example) playing through as a pacifist would be interesting. While in-game reactions (think Iji) would of course be the most interesting, I'd be happy with even something as small as an achievement. Looking over gained achievements can also lead to a sense of nostalgia (ah yes, the "defeating the Great Wyrm of Tyria" achievement, I remember fighting that thing like it was yesterday...) and they could also be used as a way of letting people know what kind of options they have (an achievement for getting five different endings? I thought there were only three!)

On the other hand: achievements really don't mesh well with the whole "taking things back to yesteryear" theme of the project...

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1885 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I generally dislike achievements but New Vegas had some good ones, especially the in game challenges with perk based rewards, love that stuff.

Edited by WDeranged, 18 September 2012 - 03:16 PM.

Inertia

Inertia

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I liked gaining perks that were unlocked after completeing certain story or gameplay events (AP) and the heroic epithet/history feat system that was in nwn2 so if its similar to that im all for it.

Edited by Inertia, 18 September 2012 - 03:24 PM.

Nivenus

Nivenus

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Niirfa
  • Xbox Gamertag:Niirfa
I'll admit it: I like achievements. Quite a bit actually.

The thing is, I don't really see anything about achievements as a negative, except perhaps that some people too often use gamerpoints or similar systems as some kind of metric for judging how cool or "hardcore" of a gamer they are. But that's really just about people being narcissistic jerks, not whether or not the game has an achievement system or not.

To be honest, I don't see achievements as all that different from the way most RPGs mark your quest progress. It's just another, more universal way of doing it.

JFS

JFS

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
No thanks. In my opinion they don't fit in with classic RPGs. They have their place in jump'n'run stuff, roguelikes, multiplayer shooters and other genres, but not in a game that is being likened to Baldur's Gate or Planescape.

Content-related "achievements" like titles, perks or special class kits being unlocked when you do certain things are okay in my mind, but external achievements in the traditional sense are nothing I would want.

Edited by JFS, 18 September 2012 - 03:51 PM.

lolaldanee

lolaldanee

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
the only time i ever liked achievments was in alpha protocol where you were collecting boni for your character depending on how you played and on the kind of decisions you made - thats the ONLY way to do it

Kevin Lynch

Kevin Lynch

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I personally don't care for achievements in the sense that I don't actively pursue them. However, I can see how they are able to generate additional interest in playing the game, encourage exploring things that aren't normally on the player's path through the game, and generally enhance the experience for a subset of players. I don't believe a game should rely on them to direct gameplay nor should they be offered for anything that 100% must be accomplished through the normal course of completing the game.

Sylvius the Mad

Sylvius the Mad

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I have no idea what the point of achievements is.

Chunkyman

Chunkyman

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't care either way. They don't negatively affect anything, but I don't see the point of them.

kenup

kenup

Combat Illusionist of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Don't really care about achievements, unless they are really challenging. But even for that, the ingame challenges in NV worked much better IMHO.

Wintersong

Wintersong

Tempest of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I have no idea what the point of achievements is.

Ignorance is bliss. :)

Lady Evenstar

Lady Evenstar

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
So long as the game doesn't interrupt me to tell me about what I've done,they can sometimes be mildly interesting, but I wouldn't miss them if they weren't there.

Piccolo

Piccolo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 431 posts
Achievements are a big no-no.

I like to lose myself in the world when I play an RPG... and having achievements constantly pop up when I do stuff just makes things too gamey for my liking (yes, I know it is just a game - but I don't need to be reminded of that constantly by achievements that don't fit as a natural part of the gameworld)

Besides, a good RPG shouldn't need achievements to motivate the player. Completing quests or clearing dungeons shouldn't end up being a repetitive chore.

Moonlight Butterfly

Moonlight Butterfly

Crazy Cat Lady of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I, personally, like achievements as they sometimes prompt the player to play in a different style then they normally would or pursue things that they might not otherwise. They are also free market research for developers.

I understand that they are not everyone's cup of tea though, it wouldn't be tragic to me if they weren't in the game.

Edited by Moonlight Butterfly, 18 September 2012 - 09:45 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Achievements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users