Achievements  

392 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts on achievements:

• A typical console-born annoyance. Not needed in old-school mature cRPG.
    • Sometimes can be interesting and motivate a player to do more than one play-through.
    • Ok. But only if there are no achievements of "kill 50 monsters" or "die 20 times" kind.
    • Non of the above.

I'll admit it: I like achievements. Quite a bit actually.

The thing is, I don't really see anything about achievements as a negative, except perhaps that some people too often use gamerpoints or similar systems as some kind of metric for judging how cool or "hardcore" of a gamer they are. But that's really just about people being narcissistic jerks, not whether or not the game has an achievement system or not.

To be honest, I don't see achievements as all that different from the way most RPGs mark your quest progress. It's just another, more universal way of doing it.

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

"Vivis sperandum: Where there is life, there is hope."

No thanks. In my opinion they don't fit in with classic RPGs. They have their place in jump'n'run stuff, roguelikes, multiplayer shooters and other genres, but not in a game that is being likened to Baldur's Gate or Planescape.

Content-related "achievements" like titles, perks or special class kits being unlocked when you do certain things are okay in my mind, but external achievements in the traditional sense are nothing I would want.

Edited by JFS

I personally don't care for achievements in the sense that I don't actively pursue them. However, I can see how they are able to generate additional interest in playing the game, encourage exploring things that aren't normally on the player's path through the game, and generally enhance the experience for a subset of players. I don't believe a game should rely on them to direct gameplay nor should they be offered for anything that 100% must be accomplished through the normal course of completing the game.

Achievements are a big no-no.

I like to lose myself in the world when I play an RPG... and having achievements constantly pop up when I do stuff just makes things too gamey for my liking (yes, I know it is just a game - but I don't need to be reminded of that constantly by achievements that don't fit as a natural part of the gameworld)

Besides, a good RPG shouldn't need achievements to motivate the player. Completing quests or clearing dungeons shouldn't end up being a repetitive chore.

I, personally, like achievements as they sometimes prompt the player to play in a different style then they normally would or pursue things that they might not otherwise. They are also free market research for developers.

I understand that they are not everyone's cup of tea though, it wouldn't be tragic to me if they weren't in the game.

Edited by Moonlight Butterfly

I do not mind achievements for strategy, tower defense, or other such games because I consider them as extra missions. For RPGs though, I think they are rather lame. I think most companies use the steam achievement system to track customer activity for future reference how to distribute resources in the next title.

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

I've found that being conscious of achievements has affected how I would normally play; in that I may play in such a manner that is conducive of me chasing said achievement as opposed to "role playing" my character.

Please, please take out achievements! I don't want to be a munchkin gamer!

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I don't quite get the claim that achievements are immersion breaking. I never once lost interest in the world of <i>Fallout: New Vegas</i> because I gained an achievement. To me, it's no different than any user interface gimmick - it's there, and sure, it's not realistic, but if you find that bothersome you're thinking too much about it. Within a couple seconds it's gone.

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

"Vivis sperandum: Where there is life, there is hope."

Would have been nice with a neutrally worded poll instead of this, since options are basically 1. No, 2. Maybe, 3. Maybe, 4. No.

That said, I think achievements can work. I understand the people that hate them, and especially hate the popups and so on, but well thought out achievement (or trophies or feats or whatnot) can add value to a game as they lead you to play in ways you wouldn't otherwise have done. A good example of this is Alpha Protocol.

Personally I vote to put them in the game. I know Obsidian are capable of using achievements to add interesting stuff to a game, and Steam comes with a system built in for them so I doubt they will need to spend a large chunk of development time on them.

As many people have already pointed out, achievements are mostly targeted towards console players, whose games are so short and tedious that they need additional incentive in order to replay the content of said product. Project Eternity, as it seems, will be a rather large product, spanning many, many hours, with an open or semi-open world, not just and endless jumble of invisible tunnels and corridors (HELLO CONSOLE GAMES).

Therefore, I strongly thing that introducing regular achievements is a waste of time and effort.

Unless, as I have stated before, we are talking about titles similar to those found in Arcanum. If such is the case, however, I want those titles to be more present within the game world, not just as an entry inside my journal.

I hate achievements.

On the other hand a more in-depth stat screen like the BG one would be cool

(the one with favourite weapon, favourite spell, time in party, XP earned, monsters slain, most powerful foe vanquished etc)

I don't need a little pop up to give me 15 brownie points every now and then when I do something in-game. I don't need achievement points to tell me when I've achieved something. If I slay a dangerous dragon and find a powerful magical sword from his hoard then surely that should be enough of a trophy for me, for isn't that sword the fruit of my arduous task anyway?

Would have been nice with a neutrally worded poll instead of this, since options are basically 1. No, 2. Maybe, 3. Maybe, 4. No.

You mean a boring one, right? It's neutral. Being the one that created this poll I've chosen the "Sometimes can be interesting and motivate a player to do more than one play-through." option.

You mean a boring one, right? It's neutral. Being the one that created this poll I've chosen the "Sometimes can be interesting and motivate a player to do more than one play-through." option.

I think he mean there are no 'I like achievements options' they all err on the side of dislike :p

Like I said I don't mind them it's free research for Obsidian for future games.

Additionally, I hate features of "counting up" every little thing I do, like in World of Warcraft. How many times I hit someone, how many spells I've cast, how many carrots I ate yesterday...why in God's name do I need that kind of information? Keep it simple, disciplined and neat.