Your ideas on mapping, journal and "codex" features

Map:

- We'll likely get the standard minimap + world map, of course, but:

1) Map "FoW" (Fog of War) or more like NW2, where you can already see the entire area (of a dungeon, for example)?

2) Would you like to have the possibility to add custom map notes, with different colored icons, beside the already implemented points of interest marked by the developers?

3) Any other idea for the map/minimap feature?

----

Journal/Quest Journal:

- Various sorting options, hopefully, just like NWN2; hide/show quests; completed and in-progress quests (and maybe even failed ones, if that's a possibility)

1) Would you like to see an in-game "notepad" section where you can write your own notes?

2) Any other idea for the quest journal?

-----

"Codex" feature:

- Would you like to see some sort of lorebook, or in-game codex, akin to the one included in "Dragon Age: Origins" ? I surely would do. Still, it would be nice if you can complete the codex only if you are a "scholar like" character, so that you have some in-game reason to seek as much info on the world you live in as you can. Instead, those more focused on fighting all the time, or that doesn't have access to written forms of info, will learn about the world in a more casual way (books and notes here and there, but that's it).

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

- No or removable by some sign posts or local maps FoW in peaceful locations like village or city.

- Full FoW at rural and dungeons.

- Ability to add markers.

- Possibly markers added automatically in peaceful locations like village or city when you ask directions ("Where's local smithy" - "That way (marker to map added)").

- Spells like Find [X] affect map.

- Ranger class, if avaible, can improve how far FoW undoes itself?

- No quest compass. Find directions for quest by asking around, casting spells or Ranger using Tracking.

Journal... it would depend on setting and the game itself. Maybe Obsidian would like to make large personal notes on what is happening a-la Torment? Dunno.

- Collecting Lore for Codex adds bonuses, like knowing creature weakness gives better damage against them? (Witcher)

Edited by Shadenuat

I would opt for every "civilised" area to be already revealed, with every other are shrouded in a fog of war until it is explored.

As for the journal, I think that Dragon Age: Origins did a great job. I would like for the art style to be more diverse in terms of appearance, but other than that, I would stick to such a template.

Edited by Entropious

To be honest I loved the journal from the BG series which had personal like feel to the quests. I would like to see lore/"codex" part integrated into one of journal tabs. One thing that was a bit annoying in original BG series and similar was, that you had to carry books with you if you wanted to read them. I'd prefer them to be rewritten into "lore" parts under books, etc.

One thing that I'd like to see is the quest details, so the more personal text on the journal is fine, but underneath I'd like to see something like summarized Objectives, which are being ticked off during the progress of the quest + new texts

As for the main map... it should be fully visible, but only major hubs should be visible as explorable from the get go. Othe areas should be revealed based on your quests, tasks, and of course special places, explorable with high exploration skills.

the "action map" for hub places should have shrouded areas that are not in LoS, but visible the whole map (streets, etc)

quest points and other explorable areas should have a full fog of war...

Edited by Darkpriest

- No quest compass. Find directions for quest by asking around, casting spells or Ranger using Tracking.

I kind of like this idea. In a lot of games the compass becomes the focal point, whereas it perhaps should be a process of hunting for information instead. It comes down to an element of realism, I think. When I am looking for my lost car keys there is no little arrow guiding my way, which makes their discovery all the sweeter. :yes:

- No or removable by some sign posts or local maps FoW in peaceful locations like village or city.

- Full FoW at rural and dungeons.

- Ability to add markers.

- Possibly markers added automatically in peaceful locations like village or city when you ask directions ("Where's local smithy" - "That way (marker to map added)").

- Spells like Find [X] affect map.

- Ranger class, if avaible, can improve how far FoW undoes itself?

I like all those ideas, game mechanics (class abilities) that enhance the map, like the "tracking" feature in NWN2, for example :). And yeah, another game who implemented an excellent codex was The Witcher, of course (still have to play the second episode).

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

Hopefully no map or quest markers, except what one adds oneself. Just give us clear and simple instruction (perhaps written down in the journal) and let us explore as we wish.

Tired of farming quest markers, tremendously jarring.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm probably going to get flak for this but I don't mind the idea of a compass or waypoints guiding you to goals. My only, ONLY stipulations are that it is added last so the game is built around getting directions though dialog and other cues, and that it can only be turned on/off when you make a new game (and cannot be changed during the game) or it is off by default and you have to navigate deep into the options to turn it back on.