Gay and Lesbian Inclusiveness!

I really don't care, to be honest. Include into the story what fits the story and setting. If homosexual characters fit, include them. If not, do not include them. Simple as that. This isn't a Bioware-style dating simulator, after all.

Pretty much. Just don't make everyone(or anyone for that matter) player-sexual like DA2 and it's going to be fine.

• Like 1

To be honest I don't want this to be included in the game.

Why is that?

Anyway, I think it could be a good idea because. Someone said that it's good as long as it does not feel forced. But for it not to feel awkward, it should be thought from the start of the game, while conceiving the different cultures.

It adds variety to the world and culture while letting the choice to the player to view it as he like (and even choosing it if he has the choice to romance someone). It also add legitimacy to roleplay people in this way while not seeming to be the only person in the world with this kind of tendencies.

No I don't think the LGBT crowd should be petitioning for characters in a game. If Obsidian wants to put them in that's fine. But people shouldn't be asking for special considerations because they're a minority.

No the game should only feature white Anglo Saxon Protestant heterosexual male characters. Do you not realize how bigoted it is to not want minorities in games?

Or they should be but shouldn't ask for it?

Let me just get back to the back of the bus with Rosa Parks then.

No I don't think the LGBT crowd should be petitioning for characters in a game. If Obsidian wants to put them in that's fine. But people shouldn't be asking for special considerations because they're a minority.

No the game should only feature white Anglo Saxon Protestant heterosexual male characters. Do you not realize how bigoted it is to not want minorities in games?

Calm down, he just meant Obsidian should put them in if they want to, but that they shouldn't try to force gay characters in just to satisfy LGBT lobbies.

I guess the difference here is if people are asking for equal treatment or for special treatment.

Yeah minority should just shut the **** up and not getting anything. Of wait, if that was the case, project eternity wouldn't even have a chance to exist. That's just retarded. Like a lot of games, this one include choices. In a choice there is always a "minority choice". Sexuality choice is just one more that can bring depth, immersion and attachment to the universe from a part of the community (and not only from gays people. They're hardly the only one who wants this, Since they only are a minority -around 5%- I would even say they're not the majority of the people asking for this)

Never said I didn't want minorities. I just think the devs should have the creative freedom to choose what kind of characters they have instead of minorities lobbying for special treatment and demanding it. I mean look at your reaction to my post, people are bigoted for not wanting to give minorities special treatment? If Obsidian doesn't include gays are they homophobes? If they don't include black people or latinos are they racist? It's some kind of sick joke and the LGBT community are just pressuring the devs to include them instead of letting Obsidian do their own thing.

If Obsidian doesn't include gays are they homophobes? If they don't include black people or latinos are they racist?

First, there is a difference. Homosexuality is something that has existed in every culture, at every moment, in every place of the world. Sometimes hidden and punished, sometimes openly but it's universal at least in the human species. I have a hard time imagining how something so incredibly important cannot be included if other mature theme (and especially if any sexual theme) is present inside the game, even more when the game itself want to ensure the immersion of the player in a credible world.

They could maybe not include it if they want to create a 100% heterosexual human species, but they will need to justify this choice (as well as any difference with the real world)

Edited by Any_ILL

Imo there shouldnt be much minorities, because that what they are, majority of the buyers from this game are straight man, and I bet most of them arent very fond of homosexual relations like they were portraied in recent games, and would rather have none this time.

Never said I didn't want minorities. I just think the devs should have the creative freedom to choose what kind of characters they have instead of minorities lobbying for special treatment and demanding it. I mean look at your reaction to my post, people are bigoted for not wanting to give minorities special treatment? If Obsidian doesn't include gays are they homophobes? If they don't include black people or latinos are they racist? It's some kind of sick joke and the LGBT community are just pressuring the devs to include them instead of letting Obsidian do their own thing.

Being included in a video game is not special treatment.

Do you also think using the same water fountain is special treatment?

And yes, making a game without any representation of minorities is pretty bigoted.

Its not pressuring, its saying to them "you have gay fans, we'd love to be represented in this new game."

Please, please, please include some gay and lesbian characters in Project Eternity! Obsidian did a phenomenal job of being inclusive with New Vegas (see this article http://www.gamefront...-in-gay-heaven/) so I'm really hoping they will follow suite with Project Eternity. Obsidian, can you do this again? :)

^ This! :) I think the LGBPT community should be included and get just as much recognition as the heterosexual community :)

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

~ Marcel Proust

If Obsidian doesn't include gays are they homophobes? If they don't include black people or latinos are they racist?

First, there is a difference. Homosexuality is something that has existed in every culture, at every moment, in every place of the world. Sometimes hidden and punished, sometimes openly but it's universal at least in the human species. I have a hard time imagining how something so incredibly important cannot be included if other mature theme (and especially if any sexual theme) is present inside the game, even more when the game itself want to ensure the immersion of the player in a credible world.

But the fact is it's a minority that probably only makes up about 2-5% of the population and that doesn't mean there needs to be special considerations for them in video games, or really anything really.

When I meet people I don't find out if they are gay or bi or whatever. They're just people. I don't care about their sexuality and different sexualities don't need be represented in every game. A credible world doesn't have people informing you of their sexuality. That's just pandering which is exactly what Bioware does to the gay crowd by including gay characters. I know gay people who are offended by the gay characters that they write because they are so unrealistic and misrepresent them. That's what people are asking for.

They could maybe not include it if they want to create a 100% heterosexual human species, but they will need to justify this choice (as well as any difference with the real world)
It's irrelevant. I'm probably not going to know what 99% of the characters' sexuality is in the game. So why is it important that they include gay characters? So a minority feels catered and pandered to?
  • Like 2

And yes, making a game without any representation of minorities is pretty bigoted.

I would have to disagree there (if you mean that if they don't have LGBT representation, that they're bigoted). A game not including X minority (or majority for that matter - ie, a game without women) is not bigotism; it might just be a budgetary thing. It could be, but is not necessarily, hate; it could be budget, could be something else.

There is active exclusion ("we don't want X in our game, because we hate them") and then there's .. I suppose you could call it passive exclusion ("It would take too much time/budget/effort, so we won't include X").

I feel a disturbance in the force. It's as though a hundred devs simultaneously facepalmed, and then fell silent bc the nda is still in place.

twitter

So a minority feels catered and pandered to?
People tend to like seeing characters they can identify with in various ways.

If you consider that pandering, much of the game is.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Being included in a video game is not special treatment.

Do you also think using the same water fountain is special treatment?

Its not pressuring, its saying to them "you have gay fans, we'd love to be represented in this new game."

Being included isn't special treatment. Getting together and asking to be included is special treatment.

I'm just going to ignore the water fountain comment because it's nonsense.

My point is you can't represent every minority and you're wrong for considering it bigoted not to include the one you're from while ignoring other minorities that happen to not be included due to design decisions. Gay people aren't special. They're just people.

Edited by Grimlorn
  • Like 2

So a minority feels catered and pandered to?
People tend to like seeing characters they can identify with in various ways.

If you consider that pandering, much of the game is.

True but you don't see those people getting together and petitioning for representation, and furthermore you don't always see those characters always represented in every game. It differs from game to game based around what the devs want, and not what they are pressured into doing by entitled people. Edited by Grimlorn
  • Like 1

Studies have shown from various sources, which includes careful selective group testing, that consolidating creative resources in order to accommodate most demographics will increase profitability by as much as 5-10%. The finished product will reflect the needs and interest of the current market with optimal accurancy. The marketing has shown it. It is a great dollar, wonderful dollar, it is a huge market, i can assure you.

Or of course Obsidian can work according to how George Carlin said to a heckler: "I am here for me; you are all here for me; no one is here for you"

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Studies have shown from various sources, which includes careful selective group testing, that consolidating creative resources in order to accommodate most demographics will increase profitability by as much as 5-10%. The finished product will reflect the needs and interest of the current market with optimal accurancy. The marketing has shown it. It is a great dollar, wonderful dollar, it is a huge market, i can assure you.

Or of course Obsidian can work according to how George Carlin said to a heckler: "I am here for me; you are all here for me; no one is here for you"

Obsidian wouldn't be doing a kickstarter if they just wanted to make the most money by making mainstream games. They'd just make AAA action RPGs that are shallow and pander to all groups while selling 3+ million copies. Of course they might end up like Bioware where DA2 and ME3 weren't well received and TOR is about to go free to play because they tried too hard to pander to their market and made terrible games instead.

Please, please, please include some gay and lesbian characters in Project Eternity! Obsidian did a phenomenal job of being inclusive with New Vegas (see this article http://www.gamefront...-in-gay-heaven/) so I'm really hoping they will follow suite with Project Eternity. Obsidian, can you do this again? :)

^ This! :) I think the LGBPT community should be included and get just as much recognition as the heterosexual community :)

No, they are a minority and should be treated like it, if you are in a business and majority of people like to buy blue colored toys, you won`t make millions of red colored toys to please a couple of guys.You want to sell thousand blue toys and make a profit, and please almost everyone