Gay and Lesbian Inclusiveness!

Unfortunately, some people simply view this video games as a means of promoting (or at least promoting acceptance towards) a particular...lifestyle choice. This topic has nothing to do with the game.

I'm done.

Agree. No sex. No politics. No religion. Come to think of it, no choice in any respect what so ever would be best.

I vote Butterfly-simulator!

But religion, politics and sex would be pivotal within the game's setting. A character's sexual preferences, however, would not be. Unless the game actively tries to make the concept of different sexualities a pivotal theme throughout the game; which in all honesty would be very odd.

What New Vegas did right with the presentation of gays and lesbians was.....they barely presented them.

Somebody shares my view :)

Rather than "Gay and Lesbian Inclusiveness!" I would prefer to see it (orientation) rendered completely irrelevant.

• Like 8

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

To clarify what it is exactly that I am asking for since maybe I was a little too ambiguous, its this:

If the game has romance options with party members, include an option for the players preferred partner gender. I'm not suggesting a Bioware level "everyone is bi and wants Hawke" inclusiveness, just that there is an option for every player to "role play" the way that they want.

If there are not romance options, I'm asking that they pursue a path like New Vegas, where a minority of party members and NPCs express their orientation as part of the story, like Arcade. For every bunch of characters that make reference to their opposite gender partner, have some that make reference to their same gender partner.

Why?

Two reasons. First, so that in the case that there is romance options (which I personally enjoy) they are open to all players regardless of their orientation or preference.

Secondly, and more importantly, whether they do or don't have romance options, its so that ALL players can relate to the game and the story. Would you make a game that only featured all white, male, tall, blonde, blue eyed people? Maybe if your name was Adolf. So that every player can relate its important to create a universe with diversity so that all players can relate and feel invested- whether a tall, blonde straight male or a short, dark skinned lesbian.

Its not about an agenda, its about making something with relatability for everyone.

Unfortunately, some people simply view this video games as a means of promoting (or at least promoting acceptance towards) a particular...lifestyle choice. This topic has nothing to do with the game.

I'm done.

Agree. No sex. No politics. No religion. Come to think of it, no choice in any respect what so ever would be best.

But religion, politics and sex would be pivotal within the game's setting. A character's sexual preferences, however, would not be. Unless the game actively tries to make the concept of different sexualities a pivotal theme throughout the game; which in all honesty would be very odd.

If sex is pivotal, how is it possible to portray it in any form without touching on orientation/preferences?

It's a video game, not social simulator. If it makes sense for character to be of certain sexual orientation - let it be. Do not include gay and lesbians just because some people want to see their social groups represented in every media possible.

• Like 6

Sure, if it makes the gay community happy, why not?

And other obscure communities too!

So, Bronies?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm done.

No one's saying we should promote any political agendas nor shun them.

But the simple fact of the matter is....

Every single one of us lives in a town. Every single one of us has homosexual members in our community.

To not include them is quite unrealistic and comes off as hateful. However, to include them and to make their sexuality the central theme of their character is also quite insulting, not to mention potentially annoying for both those who don't give a crap about what a person's sexuality is and for homophobes. A little off-topic, but Morgan Freeman once did an interview about racial discrimination where he said the best way to handle it was to "stop talking about it." I agree with this completely; doubt it ever happens in the US at least (that's 200 year old racism, sadly...), but I think he's right. Sometimes calling attention to something just makes it more heated, because it provokes those that disagree with you and reminds them they disagree with you and that you're different. If you just let it be and live alongside each other, then after a couple years, maybe homophobes realize "wow I've lived next to John for 10 years now and he still hasn't spontaneously sucked my ****, maybe I was wrong. Maybe he's normal just like me."

OP mentioned New Vegas, and New Vegas did it right. Have them in game, but don't make a big deal out of it. I don't see how anyone can disagree with this method.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I said this would happen.

WTF now, how many topics do we need on romance in general and homosexuals in particular and they havent even started making the game yet.

If there is a terrible and pressing need for a character to even display a certain sexual preference then by all means, let them put in whatever they want.

But why would there be? is this a coming out of the closet drama? In my entire life I don't recall a total of 10 minutes of conversation regarding someone's sexual preferences. Its the sort of thing you know/find out if you need to know, otherwise you neither know nor care.

Why the hell is this even relevant for a fantasy RPG? Its a fantasy game it has no reason to be representative of anything in the real world, quite the opposite.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

No one's saying we should promote any political agendas nor shun them.

OP mentioned New Vegas, and New Vegas did it right. Have them in game, but don't make a big deal out of it. I don't see how anyone can disagree with this method.

Agree.

That beeing said, the idea of having different moral standards for sexuality in different communities in the game would be good as well. That goes for other political, religious and morality issues as well.

Edited by Amused

See, I told you this would happen.

WTF now, how many topics do we need on romance in general and homosexuals in particular and they havent even started on the game yet.

Because to some people inclusiveness is important. No one is saying the game should be full of obvious gay people.

It should be like FONV or Spartacus - in a whole universe of characters, some should be gay. Would you want to play if the game featured no characters like you?

I would actually prefer for the majority of characters to be bisexual. It's just more handy. Like in real life, in games I fall for people, not classes/alignments/sexes. So the solution is obvious.

BioWare tried that already... It didn't work. :no:

Worked perfectly for me. :) That's one of my favourite aspects of DA2, really. It's more complex that "I want to have sex with everything that moves", obviously; I just find the setting where sexual orientation is virtually nonexistant (and thus not an issue) really interesting.

you can watch my triumphant procession to Rome

WTF now, how many topics do we need on romance in general and homosexuals in particular and they havent even started on the game yet.

Because to some people inclusiveness is important. No one is saying the game should be full of obvious gay people.

It should be like FONV or Spartacus - in a whole universe of characters, some should be gay. Would you want to play if the game featured no characters like you?

Can't you just imagine, that the nameless shopkeeper in the game is gay and that's all?

Why do you insist, they should state their preferences anyway?

Did you play Planescape Torment?

Exactly how many characters there were similar to anybody on this forum?

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

I said this would happen.

WTF now, how many topics do we need on romance in general and homosexuals in particular and they havent even started making the game yet.

If there is a terrible and pressing need for a character to even display a certain sexual preference then by all means, let them put in whatever they want.

But why would there be? is this a coming out of the closet drama? In my entire life I don't recall a total of 10 minutes of conversation regarding someone's sexual preferences. Its the sort of thing you know/find out if you need to know, otherwise you neither know nor care.

Why the hell is this even relevant for a fantasy RPG? Its a fantasy game it has no reason to be representative of anything in the real world, quite the opposite.

If the game was only going to contain characters that were stated or implied to be gay, would you still want to play it? I highly doubt it, because you want to RELATE.

And as far as it not mattering, good luck telling a great story without some love stories in it. Or do you want them to create a universe full of all celibate genderless characters? That doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me.

Can't you just imagine, that the nameless shopkeeper in the game is gay and that's all?

Its impossible not to state it unless you have a genderless game. If you talk to a shopkeeper and he mentions his wife, its stated sexuality. If every character is implicitly straight, that's not really a relatable universe for a gay player.

A gay person can't relate to heterosexual notions of love? What are we, a separate species?

• Like 3

Meh, I say leave this part for other studios that deal with it already...

Obsidian is one of those studios.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

I would actually prefer for the majority of characters to be bisexual. It's just more handy. Like in real life, in games I fall for people, not classes/alignments/sexes. So the solution is obvious.

BioWare tried that already... It didn't work. :no:

Worked perfectly for me. :) That's one of my favourite aspects of DA2, really. It's more complex that "I want to have sex with everything that moves", obviously; I just find the setting where sexual orientation is virtually nonexistant (and thus not an issue) really interesting.

I agreed that this worked great, it was just too uncomfortable for bigoted players.

Another great example was Mass Effect 3. Mostly straight party members and NPCs, some bi ones, some exclusively gay ones. The fact that hugely important characters, like Kaidan, where "PC sexual" made the game great. In my universe, Shep was with Kaidan. If someone wanted to play it where Shep was with a female and Kaidan was orientationless (or dead lol) that's their choice. The bottom line was DA2 and ME3 were games where players of any orientation could have the story they wanted. How that's a bad thing is beyond me.

Religion and politics may be pivotal within the game's setting, but not real world politics or religions. A fantasy setting allows us to look at issues more hypothetically. For better or worse, sex/sexual orientation are different because games generally feature real world sexes.

A gay person can't relate to heterosexual notions of love? What are we, a separate species?

This argument works both ways.

A heterosexual person can't relate to homosexual notions of love? What are we, a seperate species?

Its impossible not to state it unless you have a genderless game. If you talk to a shopkeeper and he mentions his wife, its stated sexuality. If every character is implicitly straight, that's not really a relatable universe for a gay player.

Genderless game? It's impossible not to state? Dude...

Why would he mentions his wife? Will he also talk about his sex positions while selling the items?