Gay and Lesbian Inclusiveness!

Please, please, please include some gay and lesbian characters in Project Eternity! Obsidian did a phenomenal job of being inclusive with New Vegas (see this article http://www.gamefront...-in-gay-heaven/) so I'm really hoping they will follow suite with Project Eternity. Obsidian, can you do this again? :)

• Like 9

Tbh I think Lesbians inadvertently get a lot of fanservice already just because female NPC's in some games treat the female character no different from the guy while the men all treat you like chopped liver. xD

Veronica and Arcade are awesome characters and I kind of hope someone can persuade Felicia Day to do some pro bono work :p

I agree that there should be proper representation, if the subject comes up, It shouldn't just be shoehorned in.

Edited by Moonlight Butterfly

The main thing is really that they aren't forced in to where they don't belong for no reason other than being PC or something. As long as they fit their own backstory and their surroundings, it shouldn't really matter. Luckily, Obsidian tend to do this kind of thing pretty well, so I'm not too worried.

Could be interesting to have some races accept homosexuality whereas other races won't. Obsidian did say they wanted to be dynamic and creative with the differences between races.

Just as long as it doesn't feel like it was forcibly coerced into the game.

See, that's an interesting take on it. Maybe in a city everyone's much more comfortable with a same-sex relationship, because cities tend to have crazier stuff to deal with than who's sleeping with who, unless you're a noble or something. Then if you get out into the more rural areas, maybe an innkeeper refuses to let you have a room because of your orientation, like that thing that actually happened in jolly England last year or so.

• Like 2

I don't think lesbian and gay cahracters should be mandated from the get go. Lesbian or gay characters should be included if the writers feel that the characters' sexual orientation is important to tell their story or show the themes that are central to their world building. Defining the sexual orientation of specific characters before doing anything else is a bad idea.

If anyone has a problem with a thread or post, use the report function. Posts that are deemed belligerent and inappropriate will be deleted.

• Like 15

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

What if the focus stayed on the actual storyline rather being distracted by clumsy attempts at doubling as a romance simulator? That way no one is excluded, and the game isn't bogged down by trying to substitute for people's real life emotional needs and can simply focus on telling a story.

• Like 8

I'm fine with having some characters be gay. Arcade in F:NV was particularly well handled. The crap that bioware used in DA2, where just being nice to ANY character in your party eventually lead to them asking if you wanted to shag, was terrible.

If it is included I think it would interesting for the developers to include bigotry in the game world. Perhaps taunts being leveled at a companion for their sexual preference (assuming of course that it's known) and then the player having to make a decision about whether to stand up for them, possibly alienating either the companion or the NPC that might be able to help the party.

Edited by nikolokolus

What if the focus stayed on the actual storyline rather being distracted by clumsy attempts at doubling as a romance simulator? That way no one is excluded, and the game isn't bogged down by trying to substitute for people's real life emotional needs and can simply focus on telling a story.

Believe it or not, it's possible for NPCs to express their sexual orientation in ways other than trying to bone the PC. Like how Kevan had been married in BG 1, or how Sean Darcy in Alpha Protocol was clearly interested in Mina Tang.

• Like 4

I don't think lesbian and gay cahracters should be mandated from the get go. Lesbian or gay characters should be included if the writers feel that the characters' sexual orientation is important to tell their story or show the themes that are central to their world building. Defining the sexual orientation of specific characters before doing anything else is a bad idea.

If anyone has a problem with a thread or post, use the report function. Posts that are deemed belligerent and inappropriate will be deleted.

This. Sexual orientantion is not something you should think before you start designing world. Away with that idea.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, some people simply view this video games as a means of promoting (or at least promoting acceptance towards) a particular...lifestyle choice. This topic has nothing to do with the game.

I'm done.

Agree. No sex. No politics. No religion. Come to think of it, no choice in any respect what so ever would be best.

I vote Butterfly-simulator!

Edited by Amused
  • Like 2

I would actually prefer for the majority of characters to be bisexual. It's just more handy. Like in real life, in games I fall for people, not classes/alignments/sexes. So the solution is obvious.

Since I'm a minority here, though, I'll have to agree with the OP.

It's actually an interesting topic, I think. A modern game without a gay option seems somewhat lacking and dated (to me, at least). But if PE strives to be old-school, isn't that exactly what they should be doing? Old times were not only great for their games, they were also more bigoted. So removing lesbians/gays would be a rather original way of catching the feel, wouldn't it?

(That's just thoughts, though. My opinion remains: bisexuals. Everyone. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.)

you can watch my triumphant procession to Rome

I would actually prefer for the majority of characters to be bisexual. It's just more handy. Like in real life, in games I fall for people, not classes/alignments/sexes. So the solution is obvious.

BioWare tried that already... It didn't work. :no:

Edited by dlux
  • Like 5

:closed:

What New Vegas did right with the presentation of gays and lesbians was.....they barely presented them.

And I don't mean they weren't there, I just mean Arcade wasn't flaming ****ing gay with a massive lisp as he skipped around talking about shoes. Nor was Veronica a horny nymphomaniac or a butch lesbian with a shaved head and hella muscles.

Gay men and lesbians in New Vegas would just say "uhhh btw I'm gay" when you happened to hit on them in conversation, or they'd only reveal this if you had certain perks to make your character homosexual. They weren't defining characteristics, just a sexual orientation that said "hey look, we exist too" and nothing more.

Subtlety like this seems to be much appreciated by the LGBT community. Continue the trend, I say.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 11

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?