will the game use the actual Infinity Engine or a newer engine with similar flavor?

I'm just curious. I loved all IE games, but if you guys are working with a new one (eg an "Eternity engine") that improves upon the old ones goodness I would really like to know...

super duperly excited for a game like this either way! I hope you guys can recapture the magic of that brief moment in time when IE reigned supreme in the cRPG world!

i think it is an unknown at this stage. i would prefer the IE because then we can have nice descriptions of NPCs/objects :)

remember pharod's desc from ps:t? :

his left leg is twisted, as if he tried to walk two directions at once and paid the price

if they use a bleeding edge engine where we can see every detail (also zooming)...then what's the point really?

Edited by molarBear

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

i think it is an unknown at this stage. i would prefer the IE because then we can have nice descriptions of NPCs/objects :)

remember pharod's desc from ps:t? :

his left leg is twisted, as if he tried to walk two directions at once and paid the price

if they use a bleeding edge engine where we can see every detail (also zooming)...then what's the point really?

oh no, i'm not talking about a bleeding edge engine...i'm thinking more along the lines of an Infinity engine on steriods: All the goodness of IE but buffed up so that my warrior avatar can have more than one swing attack in combat you know...or rogues adopt a sneaking posture when sneaking instead of merely "fading out" magicaly etc. things like that, nothing too major or bleeding edge, just some logical updates for added flavor.

i'd never opt for giving up thise in game descriptions though, no way.

I would be very surprised if they don't use Onyx or a heavily modified variation of Onyx.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

they should use a 3D engine but in a way that it should make sense to use description text. i don't know how this can be achieved, though. low res and no zoom? :s

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

I would be very surprised if they don't use Onyx or a heavily modified variation of Onyx.

They will not be using Onyx.

https://twitter.com/...804807514054656

But Tim Cain did say they already had an engine selected, which would lead me to believe that they did not and will not be creating one from scratch.

That doesn't really completly rule out the "heavily modified Onyx" part.

They will not be using Onyx.

https://twitter.com/...804807514054656

But Tim Cain did say they already had an engine selected, which would lead me to believe that they did not and will not be creating one from scratch.

That doesn't really completly rule out the "heavily modified Onyx" part.

If they can't afford the middleware to utilize the vanilla-Onyx, how will they be able to after paying coders to make an Onyx-variant? I admit I'm not the most knowledgeable on these matters, but Chris' twit seems rather straightforward and definitive in this case and he IS going to be "in the know" on these matters. (I'd wager his minor ambivalence is due to the KS still being on-going and thus he is uncertain how much funding they will end up with...Bill Gates could always end up donating a few cool mil :w00t:.)